WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Why I venture into the woods alone. Why do you?

Human interaction, having a computer in front of me, a TV, a phone all tend to keep my thoughts cloudy and broken. When I am alone in the woods, especially walking in the woods for extended miles all of my thoughts become clearer. My trip over this past weekend consisted of a 2 night camp at Lake Winfield Scott and a 10 mile loop hike from the lake up to blood mtn and then along the A.T and eventually back to the lake. I noticed this weekend I was annoyed with any human contact I came across, either on the trail, the campsite, or at a store to pick up some supplies. I spoke very little to those I did come in contact with, very uncharacteristic of me. I know I have enlightened my soul to a higher level simply from my alone time hiking in the woods or camping alone.
    _

As far as experiencing god, I must discuss this because it is always a touchy subject and everyone has an opinion on it. When I am alone in the woods, again my thoughts become very clear as do my senses. I hear the breeze through the trees, feel the crisp cold air hit my face, only to be warmed by the sun as it fades in and out of the clouds above. I realize the sun is simply a small yellow star in a galaxy filled with billions of stars smaller and bigger than this one. Yet this one star is providing warmth to my face when it comes out of the clouds. It is amazing how the warmth varies depending on direct sunlight vs. indirect. This is the kind of stuff I notice when alone in the woods, people tend to distract me from seeing these things or I should say my day to day routine back in Atlanta tend to keep my senses and thoughts cloudy. I notice the buds about to pop open on certain plants, or how vibrant color is in the spring time in the wilderness. The forest is very much alive and working to perfection with NO, I mean NO human Interaction at all. I also notice the animals when I stop for 10-15 minutes without moving or talking, the animals pop up everywhere. I get sensory overload. Even when I am hiking along a trail, the walk will distract me from observing everything to its full extent. The walk or hike simply put, just gets me out there and is the task at hand. Once I am 3 or 4 miles into the woods I can't just stop and quit, I have to keep going to get back to camp or my destination. There is a sense of adventure once 3-4 miles into the woods alone. I know I am just scratching the surface with my hikes or walks, however the principle is the same.

_
    Back to god, I don't know what god is I just see it as “what is around me”. The sun is one of billions of stars in a galaxy, there are billions of galaxies in the known universe, and I can’t even comprehend the amount of stars or “Suns” in the universe however I do know there is one that sustains life. This planet, a small planet we call earth orbits this sun and provides warmth and life. Life exists on this planet, what a freaking miracle that is, forget the never ending debate on how it happened just look at the ahhhh and wonder of it all. I am a living breathing creature living of this planet orbiting this sun. There are billions of stars in this single tiny galaxy in the universe and we are sitting on an upper arm of that galaxy yet I am here in the woods experiencing life and observing life all around me. I noticed an inchworm walking up a tree looking at this creature, he was determined to get to his destination, wherever and how far that might be, only he knows yet he has life just like me, and he is living on the same planet I am living on and had nothing to do with it. Simply put the inchworm is alive the same as me. It is surviving on the planet the same as me, but without a bank account, religious belief or political opinion. Then I see a couple of squirrels running through the dead leaves looking for food and playing chase with one another. They are experiencing life the same as me. Then I see the water, streams coming down the mountain at some points of the trail they are just small trickling tiny streams, other sections they are bigger creeks, knowing they are all flowing somewhere to get to some destination and helping to sustain life on the planet to all creatures and plants.

I also realize the harshness of the wilderness, the mountains I walk how they beat me down physically, at times I get panicked thinking I am not going to make it, I want to quit and turnaround but then I just keep going, taking a break when I am winded and sitting down when my legs are tired. I tend to wonder how certain inspirational people I have heard about or read about climb places like mt Everest, the entire Appalachian Trail, or venture off into the Alaskan wilderness. Sometimes I get a sense of panic and realize that my body is not as it was 20 years ago. But one thing is for sure, I never quit or give up and just soak in my time alone in the woods.

I see god in the wilderness, I see it through all of nature. I have a conscience too, something that was given to me since birth, I don’t need to be taught it, and I know it. I don't know what my religion is, however I do believe in god, I guess you could say I believe in this being simply because of what I see in nature.

When I get back around humans in Atlanta, I get back into routine and my thoughts again become cloudy. I have other obligations I must deal with including the work that sits on my desk awaiting my talent while I type this out.

Until my next adventure…
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Journal Entries
    Images

very nice writing...those pics are great, however the top one is phenomenal!!!! it is most def frame worthy!!

Journal Entries
    Images

oops...got caught up in the pic and forgot part 2 ... i have always loved the outdoors since i was a child...not much has changed since then (other than the obvious )...i still love the peace and serenity and beauty of being in the woods...and you are correct that it has an ability to lift life stressors just being in tune with nature...far better than any drugs!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy bear View Post
    oops...got caught up in the pic and forgot part 2 ... i have always loved the outdoors since i was a child...not much has changed since then (other than the obvious )...i still love the peace and serenity and beauty of being in the woods...and you are correct that it has an ability to lift life stressors just being in tune with nature...far better than any drugs!!!!
    Yes it is better than any drug I have ever experienced for sure. As far as that picture of lake winfield scott, I didnt take it, I found it online doing a quick search when I wrote this and the pic just sums up this place to me, I have taken several pictures of this lake, it is my personal walden pond and I have hiked from there up to blood mtn several times this year.

I know when I do my thru hike my biggest test mentally will be the virginia blues, once I get to a point to where the trail has satisfied my need to be one with nature, at that point or some point on the trail I will dig so deep into my gut to keep the task at hand going, only then will I arive to a new enlightenment with my soul.

Why I look up to every human that has ever thru hiked the entire AT, they have arived at a place most humans have never arived at. The determination and dedication it takes to walk 2200 miles up and down mountains day in and day out. I don't think words can sum that up.
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Journal Entries
    Images

Very Nice Spirit Bear!!!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Yes, ditto... very nice Spirit Bear. I like the way u think about things while hiking. You are paying close attention to your surroundings & drinking in all it has to offer. Many people don't have the desire or the opportunity to do that. You are right!! I consider myself blessed to be able to enjoy it & the reason why I like this site, is to share with others that feel the same way I do. Thanks for sharing.

I admire you for being able to enjoy the trail completely alone. I'm not able to do that, myself. It's OK tho.

I can relate to you with the "God thing". I stand amazed every time I concentrate and drink in the beauty that surrounds me. I live in the Roanoke Valley & it is so beautiful here. I know so many places, on this earth, that I've never seen b4 (and I know I never will) are just as or even more beautiful. It makes me do some soul searching as to who is responsible for all this...the pics you posted are such wonderful examples. I don't think only science could ever explain it. So, I also, believe in God. This statement is true for me.... For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities-his eternal power and divine nature-have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made... Because of my belief, when I go out to spend some time in the woods, there's an extra level of enjoyment, for me, that I receive from being surrounded by God's creation. I'm a HUGE fan of it!!!

Good stuff SB. Going alone always heightens the experience for me too. Thanks for sharing. That's a great loop.
    GA 80-Miler

GOOD stuff Spirit Bear! You move me with your insight. Good thread topic! It's so refreshing to peruse a thread about something that's not so mundane and directly speaks to why we do what we do and why this website exists!

I know I have enlightened my soul to a higher level simply from my alone time hiking in the woods or camping alone. This basically says it all for me. The only thing I would add is that I also enjoy the social interaction and connection with all of the universe when I hike so it's not just about being alone which is really never the case. We are never really all alone. I know that sounds wishy washy and pie-in-the -sky to some

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

I hike alone almost all the time, but my reasons are different. My job, my volunteer activities, and my family life involve me making decisions all the time that affect and involve other people. When I am hiking by myself, I am allowed the luxury of making decisions that only affect me. Not usually life-threatening decisions, but decisions nonetheless. That, as much as the solitude and the physical challenge, is my vacation from reality.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Journal Entries
    Images

To Answer the question, I backpack alone to Decompress from the "Trappings" of society. I feel most alive &
    "Clear" while walking through the creators wonderful creation!! My Wife say's I always come back a better man. So surrounding myself with the mysteries & beauty of nature does indeed refresh my being!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    My Wife say's I always come back a better man.
    My wife tell's me this also all the time. She's to the point now where she'll say "you need to go to the woods". Who am I to argue. Off I go, and I always come back a better man.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Journal Entries
    Images

What you wrote says it all about taking the time to view, acknowledge, and appreciate the intricacies and simplicities of nature is one of the most valuable aspects of hiking - or even being anywhere in nature. One can't be helped but to be immersed in a different perspective and the resulting wonder and awe. It's where I always feel close to god or gods or whatever is responsible and where the trip is no longer a pure physical experience but instead becomes profoundly sacred and healing. The vistas teach us humility and the closed forests and tunnels of green teach us to turn inward and find our true center.
    Thanks so much for posting this - it's very hard to explain to people, even Loner has had a hard time explaining his experiences for me because as we come face to face with the numinous there just are few words to describe it the way we fully experience it.

Spirit Bear, I hear you when you speak about experiencing God in nature. In the Bible, Romans 1:20 say "for the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that we are without excuse". As a christian I believe this scripture affirms what we feel when we are out there.

For me getting out in the woods gives me time to clear my head. It seems easier to hear God out there when there is nothing but me, Him and His creation; but with His Word (the Bible) we have the opportunity to hear...if we will listen.

thanks for sharing
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?!

Images

I don't know Uncle Walkie if it is a christian god or a muslim god, but it is the god I see through nature. I don't care what others call it but most importantly, I know what I see and feel when out in the woods.

By the way I love this quote...

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. John Muir
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Wow! Thanks for the great inspirational post SB.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Bear View Post

By the way I love this quote...

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. John Muir
    This is a pretty good one too. Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

I would say besides sleeping I am most at peace, alone in the woods.

Good stuff for sure.

Food for thought to be sure. My earliest fond recollections are of adventure and travel, however insignificant or grand. Woodlands always held a special place in my heart for their silent, natural beauty, and mountains have my awe and respect. Danger always lurks which lends an element of excitement. Aerobic stimulation and the resulting release of endorphins has always been my high of choice. Combine all of these things and add in the spiritual experience of carrying all that you need for the journey and achieving the goals that you established before you set out, and you have the makings for true and pure happiness.

Images

Spot on, thx for sharing your thoughts

Wonderful thoughts, thank you for sharing! Alone in the wilderness gives me a chance to just be, not to have to "do".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++