WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Why are people so afraid of other people's hiking speed and distance? - Jakedatc

Well, it's some people. I got over it. I think it mainly occurs because some folks, meaning the masses, are competition minded when it comes to hiking. And, that's rooted in the ego. Some hikers, I think the majority, want to compare what they do with what other hikers do.

I long ago decided I was not going to hike out of my ego, which gives rise to pride, jealousy, anger, ignorance, fear, predjudices, harsh judgemets, selfishness, self righteousness, intolerance, etc.

I've found a middle ground a balance have you in my hiking admitting to myself and others that I'm not the fastest biggest miles per day hiker out there and I'm not the slowest hiker out there(even if I was I don't care though!). When you have this overly haughty opinion of your hiking abilities like how fast you hike and how far you normally hike and how light your pack weighs and what great shape you're in and a 12 yr old plump red haired girl resembling Pippy Long Stockings hikes you into the ground waltzing by you like Dorothy on her way to see the wizard or you can't keep up with Baltimore Jack despite his overly large and dated pack/gear(some might apply these characteristics to BJ too!, LOL) zipping up Stecoah Gap with a lit clenched Newport in his mouth it humbles you, or at least it humbled me!

Meant to incxlude this too - Not hiking out of or in my ego has brought my hiking to another level of freedom that I didn't initially realize existed.

Technically speaking, if it's not from your ego, where's it from?
    I suppose once you are out there, your id maybe. I suppose that's why getting a little lost ads a rush.
    Interesting.

I enjoy my morning paper route, cause it has to be done. First few papers can be a drag but once I get into the swing of things its all right, like breathing. Purposeful hiking, that's the thing. A trap line would be nice, if it were sustainable. I suppose just getting someplace, that's the thing, and the hike along the way, as long as it's scenic. The up close scenic is as good as the far off stuff I think. Also the changing of the seasons. It would help alot though, if it were purposeful. Here is a good one, for this time of year...

The Solitary Woodsman

When the grey lake-water rushes
    Past the dripping alder-bushes,
    And the bodeful autumn wind
    In the fir-tree weeps and hushes, --
    When the air is sharply damp
    Round the solitary camp,
    And the moose-bush in the thicket
    Glimmers like a scarlet lamp, --
    When the birches twinkle yellow,
    And the cornel bunches mellow,
    And the owl across the twilight
    Trumpets to his downy fellow, --

When the nut-fed chipmunks romp
    Through the maples' crimson pomp,
    And the slim viburnum flushes
    In the darkness of the swamp, --

When the blueberries are dead,
    When the rowan clusters red,
    And the shy bear, summer-sleekened,
    In the bracken makes his bed, --

On a day there comes once more
    To the latched and lonely door,
    Down the wood-road striding silent,
    One who has been here before.

Green spruce branches for his head,
    Here he makes his simple bed,
    Crouching with the sun, and rising
    When the dawn is frosty red.

All day long he wanders wide
    With the grey moss for his guide,
    And his lonely axe-stroke startles
    The expectant forest-side.

Toward the quiet close of day
    Back to camp he takes his way,
    And about his sober footsteps
    Unafraid the squirrels play.

On his roof the red leaf falls,
    At his door the bluejay calls,
    And he hears the wood-mice hurry
    Up and down his rough log walls;

Hears the laughter of the loon
    Thrill the dying afternoon;
    Hears the calling of the moose
    Echo to the early moon.

And he hears the partridge drumming,
    The belated hornet humming, --
    All the faint, prophetic sounds
    That foretell the winter's coming.

And the wind about his eaves
    Through the chilly night-wet grieves,
    And the earth's dumb patience fills him,
    Fellow to the falling leaves.

Sir Charles George Douglas Roberts

Good question JAK!

I hike out of my unbounded spirit or that's my intention.

I like that. Trying to foster that in my daughter also. Tricky.
    How do you lead someone on a path to self-discovery?
    I suppose you have to be, to them, just another section of the trail.

How hilly and rocky? How straight? How narrow?
    Just be yourself, I guess.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Toli you are officially invited even though no one needs an invite. The cafe just about goofing off. I can't be serious all the time and don't take offense when they pick on my cooking.
    Or pick AT it. Some of the stuff you serve up, Rasty is .... um ... original?!?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

It's a funny think JAK. When you start looking outside of yourself outside of your own desires and needs coming to the realization that you are part of an immense living expanding universe part of creation it humbles you. But, at the same time it makes you realize as you look inward who you are in the sense that you also have the power to create and destroy. It can make you aware of how you impact all that is seen and unseen. It makes you realize that as you improve yourself stepping forward into the fullnesss of your unlimited potential that you are bettering humanity and the universe at the same time. In other words, when we look outward taking the focus off ourselves we in turn learn who we are as individuals. That's self-discovery.

When you live in the now "in the moment" living not out of the ego which gives rise to all that I stated above and instead consciously DECIDE to embrace, multiply, and eminate love, faith, hope, wisdom, knowledge, compassion, peace, joy, generosity, patience, etc one begins to understand themselves and that is true self-discovery.

How do you foster self-discovery in your daughter? I don't have all the answers for myself much less everyone else but you might think about demonstrating to your daughter your own self-accutualization/self discovery experiences like you did when you posted an answer to an OP's question here on WB some yrs ago on why you bivy. And, be real when you do it. Let her take away from you relating those experiences what she will. Allow her to make some of her own successes and failures but still let her unequivocally know that you are still there for her. Show her the goodness that is inside you and that you are. I also believe doing a long distance hike like a thru-hike or by spending an extended period absorbed in nature is a great breeding ground for self-discovery.

Hope that helps.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Thanks Dogwood. Well written. That did help a lot. Had a bit of a blowout with the wife and child this week. Not physical or anything, but disturbing enough. Thanks for the advise and inspiration. Well timed.

Images

let her run as fast as she can. when she falls down pick her up. there is an expression that children grow up in spite of our best efforts. you will try your best to help them prevent making mistakes and they will make them anyway just pick them up dust them off and point them in the right direction.

Images

97 percent thread drift.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    97 percent thread drift.
    Usually happens when Clown College invades a thread.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Dogwood... amazing insight!! Both of your posts are filled with great introspection and truth. I will just add my piece of knowledge to your well stated challenge to Jake.

I'm not saying that Jake would be one of these people at all but there are people out there that are not capable of introspection. Due to no fault of their own.
    Their ability to do that was "cut off" long ago. It's not necessary to go into the reasons why it happens.

Getting back to Jakedatc.... I believe that Jake is not purposefully trying to cause a scene. Jake is coming from the place that was so many other hikers are coming from... If he can understand what you are saying, Dogwood, he will be set free- just like you stated.

Images

Let's don't over think this. Jake had a valid point to start then it unfortunately turned into a crusade. He should have said his piece and moved on. You can't change the world but you can change how you perceive it.

This is a great thread Mr. Jake. Honestly, I couldn't imagine a hiking forum being interesting for more than a couple of weeks. It's the drama here that keeps me reading.

My whole life, there's always been somebody who was lifting more, running faster, diving deeper/longer, steering straighter.

I've spent a large portion of my life doing things people are telling me I can't do. I listen to all advice, look at my own research, and make my own decisions. Sometimes I really screw up.

When I start up that incline, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, says, or does. It's just me huffing and puffing and straining toward the top. I might make it or I might not. I don't care about anyone's opinion. I appreciate the advise I got, some that I followed and some that I ignored but, this is personal. You are welcome to share my triumph but the aches and blisters are mine alone.

I've never seen such a snippy bunch of hikers anywhere but here. No matter what I or anybody says about anything, someone here will take exception to. You are all wrong. I'm the only one who is right. Hike your own hike. Yes, my pack weighs nearly 40 pounds, shut up!

Quote Originally Posted by gg-man View Post
    Let's don't over think this. Jake had a valid point to start then it unfortunately turned into a crusade. He should have said his piece and moved on. You can't change the world but you can change how you perceive it.
    Thanks GG.. I just find HYOH people are hypocritical when it comes to people who want to hike faster or further. Always seem to think they know better and they want to change people.

Luckily this doesn't happen in the woods because they are quickly left behind. And in my experience when the 2 types mix it is generally fun. Met a family on Killington that did in 3 days what we did in 1, they did a family trip every year. they laughed about how much crap they still had.. canned food etc. they shared snacks and stuff with everyone there. They were having fun, we were having fun.

Hikermom you don't know me, you don't know how I think. I'm not "trapped" somehow. I don't go hiking for introspection, I go hiking to hike.

I enjoy what I do, how I do it like many others here. I and others don't need to be CHANGED.

"Light doesn't mean you have to go fast, but it sure is fun sometimes" - my LT trailjournal after my 2nd to last day
    http://jakedatc.wordpress.com/ go read it if you want...

Images

good post Jake.

...that's not why Hike Your Own Hike means.

Jake... we don't want to change you. But you do seem stuck in the mind-set of thinking that everyone is out to change you. What we mean by being set free is to be free of that feeling. Being free to do your own thing and realize that everyone else is fine doing theirs. I know I don't know what you are thinking but that's how you are coming across.... I like you well enough & have no ill feelings towards you.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++