WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy No More Twiinkies, RIP Hostest.

Hostest will be closing. No more high calorie snack.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/16...g-union-fight/

switch to Nutty Bars! easier to pack and don't get smooshed ICP's also work but could get more squished.

Death by Union again. I am sure some non-union business will be willing to start making similar products in time.

We'll still be able to get 'em for awhile. The shelf-life for the currenty supply will get us into the next century.

And maybe by then another company will have purchased the brand and started making more of them. I only wish they would put more goop in the middle. I mean, if I am going to eat like crap, I really want to make it worth while!
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

They already have store brand versions of twinkies and other stuff.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Death by Union again. I am sure some non-union business will be willing to start making similar products in time.
    More like corporate greed, Worked both sides of the fence, just a ploy to bash the unions, if there is demand for the product they will be around forever.

The teamsters voted yes. The bakers union voted no. So yes, this was death by union. They company could not stay alive without a yes vote.

When I got laid off, if by company had offered me an 8% pay cut, to be followed by set increases over the next few years, I would have said yes. I would have preferred an 8% reduction in pay over a 100% reduction in pay, which is what I got. These are tough times for everyone.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post
    More like corporate greed, Worked both sides of the fence, just a ploy to bash the unions, if there is demand for the product they will be around forever.
    Hostess entered bankruptcy several times, each time getting rescued /postponed by cash infusion from private equity firms. The last time they actually left bankruptcy with MORE debt than they entered with, quite insane. Like MANY companies, pension obligations are much of thier problems. The unions took a haircut on pensions previously, but didnt want more along with wage cuts mandated by bankruptcy. Now the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corp (ie. US taxpayers) will pony up pennies on the dollar for them. Without the concessions the equity-owners were just bleeding cash, best way to salvage their investment value was to cease operations.

Still, its incredible that some people are stupid enough to take NO job, over having a job in the economic environment we are in, especially with the slowdown that is occurring right now. I mean, go back to work if you dont like it and THEN go look for another job, while you have a paycheck coming in.

I'm not a lib,I don't believe in online petitions, and don't eat Twinkies, but those of you who do can click the link below and sign the petition to Obama to Nationalize the Twinkie industry:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ustry/cJz0ngJR

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Cripe people..it's Twinkies. Do we have to get in a pro or anti union screed?

In the words of my old man "Cut the crap"

Further political posts get dancing bananas

Now, I'm more of a Devil Dog guy myself..but, as noted in another thread, that northeast staple of bad food is actually owned by Hostess.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Dancing Twinkies!
    Last edited by Mags; 11-16-2012 at 18:17.

I prefer dancing "Twinkies."

Not to worry, Twinkies are showing up on Ebay starting at only $100,000 a box.

some language and violence against SnoBalls.

Journal Entries
    Images

That's it I'm going to seriously consider getting out of the Hikers Union!!! Anyone know how???
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I think it involves hiking Katadin backwards, in the snow. good luck, bring a Twinkie.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    That's it I'm going to seriously consider getting out of the Hikers Union!!! Anyone know how???
    union and hiker in the same sentence? ain't gonna happen.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

KK... did you get ur supply of twinkie's for your winter hike? :P

Images

no, never ate them anyway, but if TastyKakes goes under i'll be the first one hoarding
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++