WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cotton in camp?

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Cotton in camp?

OK, I know that "cotton kills" and that breathable synthetics are best worn while hiking, but what about your "camp clothes", those extra warm and clean extras you keep dry for sleeping; Any reason why you can't wear a nice warm mostly cotton sweat shirt and/or pants, considering that if THEY get wet, you probably are already in big trouble? Or is it best to stick with polyester fleece (or similar if you can find it) if you need it to supplement your day wear for some reason. I'm talking about April on the Southern AT when the night temps can dip below freezing and you can still get hit with a snow storm. I am trying my best to keep my pack weight down but I have no intention on flirting with hypothermia if I can help it. And I'm already pretty low on body fat so I might be sleeping cold to start with.......I used to live in Alaska, so I once thought freezing was t-shirt weather, but after 20 odd years in Florida I've been ruined in that regard. Thoughts?

Fleece and synthetics tend to be lighter and will dry out if they do get wet. I don't bring stuff that can't be used all the time. Short sleeve, long sleeve, insulation layer, rain/wind layer. the only thing i keep "extra" is a light pair of socks for sleeping in.

There will be times when everything in your pack will be wet. Just a fact. Plus, you want your stuff to all be multifunctional. If you have a cotton tshirt or pair of shorts in your pack, you're going to end up wearing them while hiking. Circumstances will just make that happen. Best to only carry the stuff you can use all the time.

If I'm looking for something natural to stay warm I wear wool. But I do use a cotton T in the summer. More times than not I wet it on purpose.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

You don't even have to sweat in it: a cotton shirt, even the lightest weight cotton, will feel damp just from being in the humid air. And it will never ever dry.

For a day hike or for a short trip, I don't mind wearing a regular cotton tee shirt. But for a thru-hike, I'm not taking cotton. Although technical tees are as soft as cotton; they just don't suck in humidity like cotton does.

My two cents!

Images

Unfortunately, I agree with all the above. I did have cotton comfort clothes in my bounce box. What a wonderful feeling to wander around town in old jeans and a flannel shirt on zero days!
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    There will be times when everything in your pack will be wet. Just a fact.
    This is just not true unless it's a newb and he's completely unprepared. If it were true I would have had to replace my nice digital camera a couple times a year and would end up carrying a drenched Western Mountaineering sleeping bag---which IS NOT going to happen.

Images

My sleep clothes get recruited into cold weather gear.

The problem with wearing cotton for sleeping in a humid climate is that the cotton will absorb the night air and make you chilly. I found that out the hard way. Cotton probably works better where the air is dryer.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

if you want natural fibers then wool is the better choice.

I don't have any camp clothes. I sleep in what I hike in. When it is cold I also wear my 100 wt fleece tops and bottoms if I have 'em. If not I wear my rain/wind shell.

I would not use cotton for camping/outdoor use. Other fabrics are lighter/warmer. Look for sales, drop big hints around anyone likely to buy you a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    OK, I know that "cotton kills" and that breathable synthetics are best worn while hiking, but what about your "camp clothes", those extra warm and clean extras you keep dry for sleeping; Any reason why you can't wear a nice warm mostly cotton sweat shirt and/or pants, considering that if THEY get wet, you probably are already in big trouble? Or is it best to stick with polyester fleece (or similar if you can find it) if you need it to supplement your day wear for some reason. I'm talking about April on the Southern AT when the night temps can dip below freezing and you can still get hit with a snow storm. I am trying my best to keep my pack weight down but I have no intention on flirting with hypothermia if I can help it. And I'm already pretty low on body fat so I might be sleeping cold to start with.......I used to live in Alaska, so I once thought freezing was t-shirt weather, but after 20 odd years in Florida I've been ruined in that regard. Thoughts?
    Yes you can

Camp clothes and hiking clothes are one in the same for me. The only cotton I carry is a bandanna.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    One of my hiking buddies swears by bringing a cotton "Life is Good" shirt and pair of cotton boxers to sleep in during section hikes. According to him they are the only thing that are warm and comfortable enough for him to get a good night's sleep, and since he only wears them in his sleeping bag they are easy enough to keep dry. Personally I think he's crazy, but if it works for him then who am I to argue?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    if you want natural fibers then wool is the better choice.
    +1 for wool.A few years ago it was in July and I had hiked 4 miles up from a campground @2000ft elev. up to an overlook near the AT @ 4000ft.A cold front moved through the day before.It was 58* and my cotton tee shirt was soaked with sweat.A little breeze was blowing and I became very chilled and had to put on another shirt.I never thought you could get hypothermia in July.I wear a wool tee shirt now and wool in camp.When I was out last week the low temp was 30* and there was another hiker at the shelter.He had on 3 synthetic shirts+a jacket and was still cold.I had on 1 Icebreaker 200wt and a Patagonia 9oz Nano Puff pullover and was fine.Do the math.....Wool wicks&works better and after wearing it 3 days,hardly any smell...

Images

You could carry cotton as camp clothes if you didn't mind carrying the extra weight. There's no reason to worry about them getting wet if you keep your clothes bag wrapped up in a garbage bag and regularly check it for holes. I've never had my sleeping bag or clothes get wet. Just make sure you don't put them on when you're sweaty.

Images

BTW it seems that wet cotton clothes are something that I frequently find left behind at shelters......

Amazing how so many backpackers and campers survived for so many years wearing cotton. Most people shy away from the woods during the times when cotton will "kill". In my experience, it isn't the fabric one wears, it is the inexperience, or lack of knowledge by the person outdoors which "kills". some fabrics are better for certain things. Knowing when and how to use them is more important than some catchy slogan used by those who do not understand.

Anyone know the true origin of the adage? IIRC, it was used in a book/pamphlet many many years ago and then was absconded by fabric manufacturers to use as a marketing gimmick.

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

I wear my merino wool long johns and long sleeve shirt around camp and then sleep in them. If for some reason it gets really cold on the trail then I use them as my base layer as well. Multifunction is key.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++