WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Long Branch Shelter

So I'm out today doing a short day hike in the Standing Indian Campground area. Went up the Long Branch Trail and headed south on the AT for a bit and stumbled upon the new, not-yet-completed Long Branch Shelter. All the framing is up (heavy post and beam), but no floors, walls, or roof yet. Will have a sheltered overhang in the front. Looks like a beauty. It will have a loft and looks like it can hold well over a dozen hikers. I'm guessing it will be done by next year's thru-hiker push?

For all you Brown Blazers out there, the mouldering privy is already completed, and yes it has a roof. Looks like they are excavating several tent pads around the shelter area. The shelter can't be more than a tenth of a mile off the AT. Good water source right on the shelter access trail via the Long Branch creek (obviously). Very pretty setting for the shelter. It may be too early, but did not notice any bear cables. Enjoyed my lunch break there today. Best news...no mice or grafitti yet!

Images

The shelter is now complete and open for use, It will replace the Big Spring Gap shelter which is a little further south closer to Albert Mtn. The forest service has not set a date for dismantling yet but I would guess that it will be gone by thru-hiker season. You can go to the USFS website for the official news release and they also have a photo of the new shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Looks good. Looks like an actual timber frames structure without bolts.

It is a nicely built one. I'm sure the critters are lovin it 2.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Looks good. Looks like an actual timber frames structure without bolts.

I see the generator, is this the shelter with the WiFi?

Yeah! Love the generator. Now I can use my microwave to heat up my Hot Pockets!

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I see the generator, is this the shelter with the WiFi?
    I wouldn't be there for long. Someone would chop it up as firewood.

rock gap shelter needs to be torn down

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    rock gap shelter needs to be torn down
    Agreed. I think this new shelter can replace both shelters at Big Spring and Rock Gap. Rock Gap is too close to the road in my opinion. Next, they should think about replacing the shelter up the trail at Siler's Bald.

PS - Thanks to all that were involved in this new shelter.

Images

Looks like a good place for lunch or supper. I don't sleep in shelters but love to use them as a resting place before moving on. How long before there is a fire pit 3 feet tall and two feet out from the sitting area. I may make this my new years hike to come out and take pics of the three shelters in that area. I believe they are working on Cold Spring shelter now. Upgrading or just doing some badly needed work on it.

I stayed at long branch towards the end of my thru this year. I think I may have been the second to do so. It was nice.staying somewhere that wasn't trashed as 90% of them were along the trail. Very nice shelter.

I stayed at this shelter site Monday night. It is indeed a beautifully built shelter. It is large, with two levels, and can probably accommodate 12 to 14 hikers. It is important to note that where it is situated there are no good places very nearby to pitch a tent. In fact, I did not even see a spot where one tent could be pitched near the shelter. There were no less than 10 hammocks set up in the area, but the area around the shelter is so sloped that I think that even hammock hanging in the immediate area of the shelter should be avoided because of likely erosion that will result from foot traffic along the hillside around the shelter (It really is quite steep). So, for those who plan to stay in the shelter, this is a great one, but for those of us who prefer to hammock, tent, or tarp camp, it is probably better to find another spot.

Quote Originally Posted by trippclark View Post
    I stayed at this shelter site Monday night. It is indeed a beautifully built shelter. It is large, with two levels, and can probably accommodate 12 to 14 hikers. It is important to note that where it is situated there are no good places very nearby to pitch a tent. In fact, I did not even see a spot where one tent could be pitched near the shelter. There were no less than 10 hammocks set up in the area, but the area around the shelter is so sloped that I think that even hammock hanging in the immediate area of the shelter should be avoided because of likely erosion that will result from foot traffic along the hillside around the shelter (It really is quite steep). So, for those who plan to stay in the shelter, this is a great one, but for those of us who prefer to hammock, tent, or tarp camp, it is probably better to find another spot.
    Were there not some tent pads dug out on the side of the hill? Thought I saw them there back last November?

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Were there not some tent pads dug out on the side of the hill? Thought I saw them there back last November?
    No. The area for the shelter, privy and path between them were dug out, and of course the 0.1 mi trail from the AT was dug out. Everything else was steep. When you first turn in from the AT heading to the shelter, there is a small area uphill to the left that could perhaps accommodate one tent.

No. The area for the shelter, privy and path between them were dug out, and of course the 0.1 mi trail from the AT was dug out. Everything else was steep. When you first turn in from the AT heading to the shelter, there is a small area uphill to the left that could perhaps accommodate one tent.
    Thanks for the update. Planning on hiking thru this area around Memorial Day weekend.

Images

Actually, there are some tent sites that have been dug out past the shelter when approaching from the trail.
    Was there last week, and there were a few that setup tents.

I was there last week Tuesday and there were 3 tents set up.
    Trillium

I stayed their this past Saturday night in the pouring rain the one side leaks a little bite, but all in all it's a nice shelter.

Images

We spent the night a couple days ago and I heard a mouse or two but didn't have any issues with them. The small wall on the loft kept the wind off our heads and overall it was one of the more pleasant shelter nights we've had.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++