WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gaining/ maintaining body-weight pre -hike

Hi guys
    I'm about 4 months out and I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs
    I know that thru hikers can lose 20+% of their body-weight
    Using that math I wind up at 200 lbs if I don't lose anything pre-hike
    But
    If I start my hike at 230 then i end it at 184 lbs ...which is super skinny for me
    So
    Do should I keep or lose 20 lbs pre hike

Images

Default Should you lose 20 pounds ?

By all means try to optimize the best pre-hike conditioning by losing the extra weight. The fact remains that the better physical shape you're in the better chances you have at not only completing a thru hike but also enjoying a thru hike.

I believe the best chances for success are the first few weeks after hitting the trail and conditioning plays a direct role in that.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I totally support johnnybegood's advice. For some reason my guess is that the two guys that will be supporting you on the trail would appreciate every pound down to optimal weight that you lose. At least that is what my Left and Right have said to me. Also, in your case, since keeping weight may be a goal on the trail, just think of all the yummy stuff you will absolutely have to consume. Losing weight and gaining Life.~~Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

No question, lose the weight. If it were 10 lbs and you were doing heavy miles starting out then I may have a different view. Look at it this way, let's compare 250 to 200 lbs. You would have to work 25% more just to go the same distance. A thru hike is hard enough, don't stack the cards against yourself.

I say not to worry about your weight at this point. If it comes off before you start that's fine but concentrate on getting yourself in good shape. That includes toughening up your feet. If your not already you need to start walking a minimum of 30 miles each week. Do your walks 5-6 miles without stopping at a 3 mile clip. Since you live in Fl don't worry about the mountains just do the miles. That has been my routine since 1999 and I maintain a weight about 10 # above my ideal weight of 175 lbs. I'm 5'10"
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear View Post
    Hi guys
    I'm about 4 months out and I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs
    I know that thru hikers can lose 20+% of their body-weight
    Using that math I wind up at 200 lbs if I don't lose anything pre-hike
    But
    If I start my hike at 230 then i end it at 184 lbs ...which is super skinny for me
    So
    Do should I keep or lose 20 lbs pre hike
    Get healthy, but don't worry so much about the weight. The reason so many people drop big pounds is because they have it to lose. Virtually everyone is fat, not obese, but fat. You're pretty much going to lose weight to a certain point, say in your case 200lbs, regardless if you start the trail at 300 lbs or 230 lbs. It's not a matter of losing a set %, rather just getting down to what's more natural for you.

Journal Entries

Get in the best shape you can.

You have a very significant chance of failing due to injury.
    Blisters, stress fractures, knee injuries, ankle injuries.
    Weight is a contributor to these, a MAJOR contributor.

Give yourself the best chance for success.
    In case you havent noticed, theres not many pictures of fat people standing over the Katahdin sign.

Think of it this way : If you loose 50 pounds now, you can carry a 50 pound pack and not notice the difference [too bad it doesn't work that way]

If you do make it all the way, you'll probably be pretty skinny at the end. But don't worry, it usually doesn't take long to put all that and then some back on. My guess is your 30-40 pounds over weight now and most of that is around your middle. Try to get rid of as much of that as you can before hand. You'll feel better, sleep better and woun't have to buy new pants 6 weeks into the hike.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I can speak from experience here. I'm 6-2 and weighed 245 or so ten years ago when I was in my early twenties and hiking in North Georgia at that size is just misery. You've got to get that weight off. If you're diligent about your diet and do a lot of walking it's possible to drop 40 by time you go.

Journal Entries
    Images

Kind of simple - more raw foods - an apple in the morning an raw orange with a small meal - add a protien bar at 10 and 2... Cooked or processed foods in smaller portions just for dinner. Reduce carbs breads at 10cal per slice. Every weight loss system is based on this information.

Source-Nova PBS.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Garlic
    Images

The reason so many hikers lose so much weight on the AT is that so many hikers start out overweight on the AT. I've talked to a few of them and it sounds painful to start overweight. I started at my optimum weight and ended just a few pounds lower, less than 2%. There's no need for the wild weight swings. I'll join the chorus--lose it now, while you're getting in as good a hiking shape as you can.

The AT is unusual among the long trails, with so many successful hikers starting out so overweight. It was a surprise to see that.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

The key thing is to train by carrying your backpack while you train and do lots of overnight hikes. Those two things alone will get you physically ready for your thru-hike and go quite a ways to get you mentally ready.

Datto

No offense is intended in my following comments. I am a hiker in the same general age and weight category as you. Thus, my comments come as someone who is "in the same boat".

I spent some time looking at weight/height charts, BMI index etc. Everything that I looked at had you classified in the "obese" or "overweight" category. Roughly calculated (based only on the weight and height that you listed) your current Body Mass Index is 32.1. Many experts would like to see you have a BMI that was 25 at THE MAXIMUM. For you, a BMI of 25 occurs at approximately 195 lbs. For your height---even at 200 lbs--the World Health Organization and the CDC would categorize you as "overweight". Thus, you can lose a great deal of weight and still be in a good position.

Frankly, your biggest concern should not be that you would lose too much weight (particularly pre-hike). The biggest concern should be how the excess weight is going to potentially cause an early end to your thru hike attempt. By most ways of analysis, you are 50+ lbs overweight right now. Those 50+ pounds can take a TREMENDOUS toll on the joints and the cardiovascular system. If I read your profile correctly, you will probably be 60 years old (or very close to it) by the time you finish your thru hike. Extra weight can be even more challenging to those of us who are getting to be a bit more "mature". "Old" bones don't tolerate extra weight very well.

Again, I am not some fit, young, athletic hiker who is trying to lecture you. I am a guy in a pretty identical situation. My BMI is almost identical to yours. My age is in my early 50s. My doctor wants me to lose 35-50 lbs. At least as recently as August 2012, I could still do 15-20 mile hiking days in rough up-and-down terrain (even before I get my "hiking legs"). However, I must admit that am HURTING when I do it and it punishes my body. My knees, hips, ankles, feet--and lower back feel every mile. I am "sucking wind"--especially on uphills. I am blessed that my primary hiking partner is a 50 year-old Physician Assistant (whose wife is a physician). Both he and his wife get to observe me on some day hikes. He gets to watch me out on the trail for week-long hikes in the wilderness. Thus, I get the advantage of a very close medical evaluation as I train and when I am on the trail. Both of them are encouraging me to lose at least 35-40 lbs. in order to enhance my hiking experience.

My advice to you? Try to lose some weight before hiking the AT. Your feet, knees, ankles, hips and back will thank you--as will your cardiovascular system. Then, once you are on the trail, consume lots of (semi-healthy) calories on a daily basis to help maintain your weight and body mass. Nothing says that you have to lose 20% of your body weight on a thru hike. That weight loss often happens because people don't take good care of themselves on the trail. They don't want to carry enough food in order to consume enough calories. They don't want to take enough time to eat properly throughout the day. They don't consume enough calories and they don't eat enough of the right things. (Also, some hikers are intentionally trying to lose weight on their hike--so they purposely consume far too few calories--and tear up their bodies as a result). If you get to an optimal weight and consistently consume enough "semi-healthy" calories while hiking--you should be just fine.

FINAL NOTE: Here is an experiment. Pick up some heavy items that have some weight to them and walk around a bit. (I personally pick up a 40 lb bag of dog food at the store--because I have a big dog). Feel the burden of carrying the extra weight. For me, it is quite the eye opener for me when I realize that the 40 lb bag of dog food is equal to the extra weight that I am causing my heart and joints to carry around every minute of every day. I wouldn't dream of hiking the AT carrying a 40 lb bag of dog food--in addition to my back. Yet, that is what i carry around each and every day--and I am tearing up my bones and joints as a result.

Have a GREAT hike. I know you will do all of the right things--as you are showing proper concern even before your hike.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

prain4u...very good post.

From my perspective those BMI charts are absolute BS. I'm always considered obese by those standards, even after my thru I was considered overweight.

Less body fat is better than more body fat when it comes to hiking. So much easier on the joints, especially when hiking downhill.

Those who are more muscular in build will skew the BMI index somewhat. I take BMI numbers with a grain of salt. On a long hike, body fat - as well as muscle mass for those who are muscular - will go down. On my longest hike (JMT; 220M over 17 days), I lost about 10 lbs. I suspect most of it was body fat.

If you lose a significant amount of weight before your hike, the size of your clothing may go down, i.e. XXL to XL. So, your clothing weight will be less. Lots of positives in losing some weight before you hike.

Have a good hike. Maybe we'll bump into each other on the trail next year.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    The key thing is to train by carrying your backpack while you train and do lots of overnight hikes. Those two things alone will get you physically ready for your thru-hike and go quite a ways to get you mentally ready.
    Datto
    It won't cause you to loose weight- but the mental and physical experiences is awesome - even if I went out once a week - overnighters are hit or miss when it comes to weight - because of consuming water
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    It won't cause you to loose weight- but the mental and physical experiences is awesome - even if I went out once a week - overnighters are hit or miss when it comes to weight - because of consuming water
    What Water really has nothing to do with it. Yes, I know water weight fluctuates, but people are fat because they eat too much, period.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    The reason so many hikers lose so much weight on the AT is that so many hikers start out overweight on the AT. I've talked to a few of them and it sounds painful to start overweight. I started at my optimum weight and ended just a few pounds lower, less than 2%. There's no need for the wild weight swings. I'll join the chorus--lose it now, while you're getting in as good a hiking shape as you can.
    Agree. I'll just add that I lost 8% over the first 3 months and then maintained that weight over the next 2.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    From my perspective those BMI charts are absolute BS. I'm always considered obese by those standards, even after my thru I was considered overweight.
    I don't necessarily take issue with you regarding BMI charts or "ideal weight" charts. However, that being said......

My main point was that EVERY resource that I consulted gave similar information. Specifically, the OP (and myself) are probably carrying more pounds than are ideal for cardiovascular and bone/joint health--no matter what standard we use to determine "ideal" or "healthy".

The OP is concerned that he will lose too much weight on his thru hike and in his pre-hike training. Based on every resource that I am finding--the OP probably has no realistic worries about becoming unhealthily underweight during his hike (unless he REALLY fails to take good care of himself during his hike). All of the "experts" seem to indicate that the OP would have to get into the 175 lb range (OR MUCH LOWER) in order to be less than his ideal weight (much less--being in a problematically low weight category). Even for "large frame" males--the IDEAL weight range seems to be about 172-198 lbs--in most resources that I consulted.

My goal was not to debate what the ideal weight should be (HYOH). It was my contention that--WHATEVER commonly accepted measure we use--the OP (and myself) are far from being in a situation where we have to be concerned about being underweight (unless we do some sort of starvation diet).
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++