WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default So I thought I did everything right....

I read the posts and blogs, I talked to local hikers and thru hikers, and so I believed I was making an informed decision.

Off to the Merrell outlet I went to buy the first pair of true hiking shoe's I've had since I was 15.

I wore my thick REI socks, tried on a ton of options, and left happy with the Moab waterproof mids, in 1/2 size larger then I normally purchase for street shoes. They were secure in the heel, wider at the top of my foot, and my toes had plenty of room. Pretty safe decision I thought.

I decided to break them in a little by going around a local lake (over a mile and 1/3 long) about three times.

Oh dear goodness the pain. What is wrong with me? Is this just how it is when you first get your shoes? It's not the 4 miles I did, I do that regularly in cross trainers. Was it because I was on paved roads? Do I just seriously need some time with these to break them in? Is this normal? Will the pain go away?

Help!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

One of the most difficult gear choices is footwear. I went through several brands/types until I found what works for me. I use Brooks Adrenalin trail runners with black Superfeet. That's just what works for me and my hiking style and weight. You will probably need something else.
    I suggest if you have an REI try buying there. Use the new shoes on a treadmill and if they don't work take them back. REI is good about returns.

Merrells are light weight hiking shoes and should be pretty comfortable out of the box.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I have that problem as well with hiking boots. I'm going to swap to trail runners and see if that helps. Eventually, with enough walking with harder soles, your feet would adapt, but for someone like me who's a desk worker and doesn't stay on my feet for hours and hours every day, it's hard for me to build my feet up.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

trailwobbles, I see we're from the same town. You have an REI close by in Timonium.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Where do they hurt?

Frankly, it took me about 5 different kinds of shoes and at least 10 different kinds of insoles before I found a shoe-insole combo that works for me. Then it took two more tries to get the size figure out.

My advice, cycling socks and trail runners in your normal size (Asics preferably). The thick wool socks with high-top "hiking" boots are overrated and ghetto.
    Abbrikka Cadabrikka

Journal Entries

Merrell makes my feet hurt. over the years i have tried several different Merrells and each time my feet ache, and are sore in general all over. for me it is that brand that does not work for me. my advice is to try to return them and go with another make of shoe. you do not need fancy hiking shoes. if running shoes work for you then wear them.

Images

most hiking shoes/boots should not need any break in period at all, they should be good right out of the box.i bought a pair of the same shoes you have and they are not comfortable for more than just walking around town. i prefer keens, myself, but ive recently switched to trail runners

Images

"Is this just how it is when you first get your shoes?" No. Only Merrell's heaviest full leather hiking boots would require breaking in. They probably just don't fit right.

Just hike in your cross trainers.

I had the opposite experience with my Merrells, there was this odd feeling in the heel that went away after about 15 or 20 minutes. Since then they've been great. I've yet to find my perfect hiking shoe though, even the ones that feel great around town aren't prefect on the trail. I do find that my feet need to get used to a new style of shoe but it's not a significant discomfort. If you're having lots of pain, go back to the seller and figure out where the problem is in your fit.

David

Ive had the same problem with Merrells. I bought Moab ventalator mids online and thought they were too narrow, they were comfortable around town but really killed me on a short 5 mile hike. Merrell let me return them for the wider version. Those still kill my feet when hiking. I am trying some new balance trail runners.

Quote Originally Posted by snifur View Post
    Merrell makes my feet hurt. over the years i have tried several different Merrells and each time my feet ache, and are sore in general all over. for me it is that brand that does not work for me. my advice is to try to return them and go with another make of shoe. you do not need fancy hiking shoes. if running shoes work for you then wear them.
    Bought a pair of merrell's, wore them a few miles and they hurt my feet so bad almost had to cancel my glacier trip. Gonna stick with Keen's.

Quote Originally Posted by trailwobbles View Post
    Oh dear goodness the pain. What is wrong with me? Is this just how it is when you first get your shoes? It's not the 4 miles I did, I do that regularly in cross trainers. Was it because I was on paved roads? Do I just seriously need some time with these to break them in? Is this normal? Will the pain go away?

Help!
    First, what brand and model of cross trainers are you using that feel good to you?
    Second, sometimes good shoes feel crappy til they are broken in, sometimes they will always feel crappy.

As others have said, finding what feels good on YOUR feet is just something you gotta find on your own.

My story is that I started with boots, went to mids, went to one of the specialty name-brand trail runners (they killed me). I had the same thoughts as you, "my cross trainers feel great, what gives?".

I happened to be using New Balance 621s (609s?) at the time and noticed that New Balance made a trail runner with their 806s. Bought a pair and found my love.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

It's funny how shoes are so individual...I couldn't bear the feel of Keens on my feet, but my Merrell's feel great. I wear them to work about 4 days a week because they are so comfortable. I got the Low Geomorph Stretch Maze model, and couldn't be happier.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Karma13 View Post
    Where do they hurt?
    They hurt on the sides...so technically my smallest and largets metatarsal, on either side of my foot. This would make me think that they are too narrow, but I bought the widest shoe I could (in store at least), and feel just fine for the first mile. Everywhere else is comfortable.

Could I perhaps have just tied them too tight? I'm starting to wonder if I just didn't cut my own circulation off. Seems like a silly mistake....

Don: I've been to the REI and will probably purchase from them in the future (I plan to get my pack there), I just wanted the sales at the Merrell Outlet. Probably the wrong idea. Also glad to see another Baltimorean on here

Images

Keens have a wider toe box than the merrills.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

trailwobbles, I tried several shoes from REI and never found anything that worked for me. The REI salesman suggested I go to Charm City Run www.charmcityrun.com just down the street (York Rd, Timonium) and they were great. I bought 5 pairs of Brooks from them last year for my thru.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Yeah, I had the same problem this year on a hike. I bought a new pair of the same shoes I'd been wearing for years, the Salomon XA Comp, but these were a new version. By the second day on the trail on my summer section hike, I thought I was going to have to quit. Severe pain in the outside of my foot, and the outside joint of my big toe (meaning, yeah, I guess they were too narrow.) I stopped at the outfitter in Wayensboro and bought a pair of rigid insoles and that mostly solved the problem. But it was weird to have this happen with a model that I'd worn before.

Try thinner socks with your new shoes, or possibly try a rigid insole like the Superfeet. Might help. Might be another 40 bucks gone -- sorry to say, there is no way to tell before wearing them on the trail.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Nope, not normal. Try a different boot of try a runner. I went through severe denial before giving up on my Asolos. I kept them for car camping. Tried a pair of Solomon runners and have never had a better hike. Your feet should feel fine walking round town. Maybe some achiness after 10 miles of mtns, but just trying them out? No way.

Images

Does anyone know if Merrell will take a return if they just hurt? Even if used? I'm going to try a local hike in hike out tomorrow and see how they do. Only a few miles. I'll try the thinner socks and re string em. If they still hurt I'll give up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++