WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Camping near Pen Mar Park, MD?

Can anyone confirm or refute the information about camping near Pen Mar at this link, which states as follows:

Free camping is allowed just outside Pen Mar Park (at 0.2/5.6 mi.). Follow the paved promenade 0.1 mi. through the park to High Rock Rd. Camping is permitted in the two fields bounded by High Rock Rd, Chestnut St, Pennsylvania Ave, and Walnut St. Saturday-night campers must leave by 9 a.m. Sunday morning. No public water is available November through April. During these months, it is advisable to call 301-791-3125 during working hours. Camping is prohibited except at the above locations. Open fires are allowed only where fireplaces are provided.
    I called the Washington County parks department but they didn't know anything for sure.

Images

no idea, but if that fails if you follow the trail into PA almost as soon as you get there there are places to camp. not 100% sure they are legal or not but many people seem to camp there either way.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Since the web site you sighted doesn't even list the Raven Rock shelter (which replaces the old Devils Racecourse), its info is old and unreliable. I know of no camping in the vicinity of Penn Mar Park. Violators caught camping there risk fines. And there is NO camping except at shelters and designated sites in Maryland.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Thanks a lot for the info guys. Guess I'll look for alternate arrangements.

1 mile north of Pen Mar in PA there is a primitive campsite next to Falls Creek. It's been there for a few years. Abotut 3 mile south of PenMar is Raven Rock Shelter.

Tumbleweed

I belive I tried to find that spot (which the OP is asking about) once with some other guys. It was getting dark as we had just gotten to Pen Mar as the sun was about to set. After stumbling around in the dark for over an hour without finding any campsites and it having already been a long day, I just sat down and said "this looks like home to me" and set up camp. I had no idea where I was and it didn't matter. The next morning we retraced our path the best we could and somehow found our way back to Pen Mar.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RETCW4 View Post
    1 mile north of Pen Mar in PA there is a primitive campsite next to Falls Creek. It's been there for a few years. Abotut 3 mile south of PenMar is Raven Rock Shelter.

Tumbleweed
    I camped at Falls Creek in September. It's OK to camp there and it's listed in the AT Guide.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

A freind and I stealth camped just South of Pen Mar Road. I know that we risked a fine, but we wanted to get an early start for our 40+ mile day (we hiked to Harper's Ferry the next day, leaving at 4 AM).
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Images

When I passed through in May I stopped at Pen Mar overlook and spoke to the care taker who informed me that hikers will sometimes camp just below the overlook and he did not seem to have a problem with that

I was drying out from walking all morning in the rain and he just asked that I set up my stuff away from the overlook
    lots of pavillions in park and during the day the flush toilets and hand dryer(sock dryer) are accessible

{Pollack}

I'm planning a trip within a couple of wks starting at Penmar and heading Northbound. Wanted to camp near Penmar. Does anyone have any current info of it being 'OK' to camp below the overlook? I see that the above post was from a few yrs back? thanks.

HI, I was just wondering if you found out any more info about camping near the park looking to take a few boys scouts there next month and want to start near the park on a Friday night. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Troop137 View Post
    HI, I was just wondering if you found out any more info about camping near the park looking to take a few boys scouts there next month and want to start near the park on a Friday night. Thanks
    As far as I can tell, there is no camping at or near the park.

However, the guide book lists a campsite 1/2 mile north from the trail head parking lot on state road 550. This is probably a small site only suitable for one or two tents.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++