WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default August in the Whites

I plan on 12-13 days in the White Mountains in August '13. Suggestions on start/finish? I know it's tougher than anything I've done before.
    I hiked from Damascus to Pearisburg in 12 days this last spring, so that can be a yardstick.
    I'm hoping to finish at Grafton Notch, but any suggestions are welcome.

What ever your daily milage was in Virginia, cut it in half or a third for the Whites. Just going from Gorham to Grafton Notch might take you as much as 6 days. I've done it in 3, but it was grueling and I was being pushed to do the miles by a Thru-hiker friend I meet up with for that section - and I had already done 500 miles of hiking that summer.

The Crawford notch to Gorham section is also pretty difficult (much of it above tree line - this is the longest above tree line section on the AT). There is also very limited camping and you'll be there during peak season. Your best bet is to bite the bullet and pony up the big bucks to stay at the AMC huts along the way, rather then compete for the limited number of tent platforms available (which will still cost you $8.00). If you do decide to stay at the huts, make your reservations well in advance to make sure you can stay the nights you need to.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Park your car at Pinkham Notch and take the AMC's shuttle to Franconia Notch. Start hiking north. It's 54 miles back to Pinkham so you'll probably make in less than 12-13 days in which case, continue on over the Wildcats & Carters to Rt. 2 outside Gorham which is another 21 miles. Take your time, don't put pressure on yourself and you'll have a blast!

Images

I did Hanover-to-Mt. Washington in August. That was about 100 miles in 10 full days and 2 part days (first and last).
    Photo album of August NH trip.

The beginning was relatively "easy." We did a 14 and a 16 mile day. (I usually average about 15 miles per day, Georgia to Pennsylvania.) But it turned brutal after that and toward the end, I was happy to hobble 5 or 6 miles from hut to hut. I stayed at two huts and hammocked at a couple. I had no trouble getting advance reservations for week nights ... and here's a big hint: They were happy to "slide" my reservations, once I realized I could not do the daily mileage I had hoped. So, if you run behind during your hike, call and see if they have an opening the next day.

We had GREAT weather and it was a fantastic hike. I hope to go back next August and finish off NH.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Do you want to confine yourself to the AT, or are you open to other routes?

Plan it out with the huts. It's a once in a life experience. Yes, it's expensive, but where else in the US can you do that?

I like the huts, but not when school is out. I'm not much on the family scene. They are very crowded then too. I have done work for stay in August and didn't really care for that crowd. I have paid during the early self service in May and full service in late September and they were both great trips.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

So how are the Whites in July?
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    You may have some lingering black flies the first week of July but otherwise, it's a great time to hike there. In fact, if one only has July to hike a part of the AT, the Whites are the best place to escape the heat rampant everywhere else. Just keep in mind that even on warm sunny days (warm=70) the nights can still be cold.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    awesome, although you can still have some snow in the ravines in the presis well into july. still a bit buggy the first week or two, usually betterthe last two weeks. it seems at least for me ive had more thunderstorms in july than august
    . t storms are a threat every day though, even if it seems beautiful in the morning.
    if you can affor the huts take advantage. the food is usually delicious(and you dont have to carry as much.no stove,food,sleeping bag,pad) nno its not real backpacking(whatever that means)and ive met a few of the aspen crowd, but ive also met hikers from all over the world, all walks of life, section hikers and thrus, and enjoyed all of my stays. you can travel light and that definitely helps with all the rocks you'll be teetering over

Images

Fantastic pictures, Rainman! Jeffmeh, I'm gonna stick to the AT, as I'm working to hike it in sections. I met Sipsey at Woods Hole in May.

I'll shoot for Crawford to Grafton. Still lotsa planning tho. This will be nothing like SW Va.

The heat and humidity can creep in for a few weeks during July. Afternoon T storms are common and can be intense above tree line. It's getting to be not until mid to late August that we start to get really good hiking weather in recent years and I suspect that is a trend which is not going away soon.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Get this so you won't get confused with all of the trail name changes.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Mountain...ref=pd_sim_b_4

Journal Entries
    Images

The huts are not for everyone-- and especially not for everyone who is out for 12 days. They are not needed logistically, and one could make a strong case that simply stopping by a few as you walk on by will make for a better experience.

For example did you know the trails over the Presidentials are virtually empty in August? The trick of course is that only holds true for a couple hours in the morning when thse staying at the huts are milling around waiting to be fed. Why not enjoy that time on a solitary peak?

One hut might be worth considering (which one will become obvious) but even a work around on that one might lead to a more special hike for many.

or enjoy them all! Just know you have good alternatives.

As stated the huts experience is a acquired taste. Several are in spectacular places, Madison Springs, Lake of the Clouds, Greenleaf and aruably Galehead and hard to beat due to location. The trade off is that everyone wants to stay at them and they are limited on the resources they can consume so AMC has figured out how to stuff the maximum number of people into the minimum space. This means for the duration of your stay in the hut, you will be in close proximity to others. Many are social folks so the din in the buildings can get very noticeable and would be quite a change compared to what a thruhiker would be used to. There are no private rooms, depdending on the hut you may be sharing a bunkroom with 10 to 40 people, many of whom are light sleepers and a fair share of children. The net result is that there is always noise all night with folks using flashlights on occasion to find their way to the toilet. There is also no good way of cleaning up as there is no hot water except in the kitchen. For these accomodations plan on $100 per night. They do serve great meals and usually have an all you can eat soup deal at lunch and high calorie baked goods mid day so many elect to stop in for lunch and plan their camping around the backcountry camping rules.

If someone wants a high elevation hut experience, Crag Camp on Mt Adams is located on the edge of Kings Ravine and has some great views, no meals but no reservations and a hihg likelyhood of getting in during the week. Like many of the legal sites along the ridgeline where the AT runs its about a mile and 1000 feet of elevation drop from the AT.

i hiked july 2012 from hanover to pinkham, 12 days w/1 full day off due to severe weather on mt. washington. hanover to moosilaukee was fun, not too difficult (but not like VA). trail down moosilaukee was very challenging, esp. the part after the shelter, wow! gorgeous up & over lafayette, garfield, zealand, etc. no need for the huts on this part. tougher after crossing rt. 302 & crawford notch. i had reservations at lakes of the cloud hut and that was a huge help. from lakes, it was a stunning yet challenging hike over mt. washington & mt. madison to madison hut. i did not have reservatioins but thankfully two beds were available that night and my hiking partner & i grabbed them. since this part, from lakes & over madison is all above tree-line, you cannot camp and must descend to find somewhere below tree-line. all the AT maps & guide books will tell you where these places are, but you will be adding not only miles but decrease & increase in elevation. the hike out from madison hut on the AT is another stunning section but very tough all the way to pinkham notch, where there is lodging & resupply etc.

take a look at www.trailjournals.com, find photos & journal entries of other hikers at they took on the whites, it might really help you plan your trip.

best hike ever, and i grew up hiking in the whites. this time i was savvy!
    .com

Quote Originally Posted by gravityman View Post
    Plan it out with the huts. It's a once in a life experience. Yes, it's expensive, but where else in the US can you do that?
    Ummm the 10th Mountain Division huts in Colorado?
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Ummm the 10th Mountain Division huts in Colorado?
    http://www.huts.org/In_The_Field/10t...ystem_map.html

Forgot the link
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

The huts in Colorado are self-service facilities whereas the AMC White Mountain huts have full service with the prepared meals in summer.

I haven't been to Mt. Leconte but it sounds similar to the White Mt. huts as does the Len Foote inn on Springer.

If someone wants a northeast trip with full service huts with a higher level of accomodations for the same money (plus hot showers), Maine Huts and Trails has a 4 hut string around Bigelow Mtn in Maine. They plan to expand it slowly with another 5 huts. (to call them huts is an understatement) AMC also has a complex in Maine in the 100 mile wilderness with renovated sporting camps in the hundred mile wilderness. Both are near the AT but not on the AT but with some creativity might allow a loop like with half the trip backpacking and the other half staying in huts. The MHT system also has some real nice paddling options plus you can add in a whitewater rafting trip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++