WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I just want to let my wife know I'm alive so she won't worry... SPOT does very good at that.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yea I get that, I was all going to do it - then saw the comments on REI in the review's and it killed it for me... still using the phone!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Well... I can tell you.. since 2010 when I got my SPOT 100% of my "I"m OK" messages have been sent and received.

It's not a precision instrument and I wouldn't bet my life on it but it does the above perfectly. If letting someone know you're OK is all you really need it's worth it IMO.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Short hand description seems to be :

SPOT for letting the family know you are OK, where you are at, and giving them a peace of mind.
    PLB for "sh** hits the fan" situations as it is more reliable.

Both have their place but are for different uses it seems.

For most people, the SPOT is probably a better choice for their needs based on what most people use it for. Most people won't die on the AT or get put in that position if they are paying attention. Most people have a Mom, Dad, brother, wife, second cousin twice removed, etc. that want to know that the hiker is OK though.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries
    Images

Well Mags I appreciate you weighing in on my starter threads... Short term ya Spot is a great idea... I still have not decided.

Woo

Default Excellent Videos on PLB Rescue and why SPOT may not be in your best interest.

Just food for thought, 406 MHz beacons have 10 to 15 times the transmit power of a cell phone and sat messenger, but again, they are a last resort

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

I carry a PLB ......here's a special code I give my family that makes it just like a SPOT.....

PLB activated = I'm not OK

PLB not activated = I'm OK, so don't worry........or................I'm already dead, so still no point worrying

If you have a iPhone , you could use find my phone it's a free ap and gives the location of you and your phone. If you have service. Just a option, so you don't have to carry two battery devices.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Cue the "carrying a PLB is abdicating personal responsibility" crowd...

I wrote a piece on these a while back. Might as well bump the thread.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Keystonehobo View Post
    If you have a iPhone , you could use find my phone it's a free ap and gives the location of you and your phone. If you have service. Just a option, so you don't have to carry two battery devices.
    Killer idea!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Kangaroo View Post
    I carry a PLB ......here's a special code I give my family that makes it just like a SPOT.....

PLB activated = I'm not OK

PLB not activated = I'm OK, so don't worry........or................I'm already dead, so still no point worrying
    This is much more in-line with my way of thinking, although 10-K is the first SPOT user I've heard from who has stated that all of his messages have gotten through.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    This is much more in-line with my way of thinking, although 10-K is the first SPOT user I've heard from who has stated that all of his messages have gotten through.
    Every single one. No kidding.

Journal Entries
    Images

Spot has a few issues provided you have a few rules.. now that we understand the price and the service... would anyone jump for PLB?

Woo

I bring a PLB with me when I am hiking off-trail solo, especially in the winter.

In terms of reliablility and the system in place to respond to a distess call, a cell phone and a SPOT do not even begin to compare to a PLB.

What system do commerial and recreational boats use? PLBs

Images

Like 10-k, I like my spot and as far as I know every msg has gone through. It keeps the wife happy.

There is one more thing to think about. PLBs are on or off, and once its on its on.

The spot gives you more options. You can press the 911 button and then it acts somewhat like a PLB, but there is also another "Help" button that does not go to the emergency calk center. It goes to who ever you pick.

You can program this button any way you like. What I do is use it to have my wife come get us at the nearest predetermined bailout point.

It does not mean emergency, just that something happened and we need to get picked up.

You can't do that with a PLB.

If the SHTF however, there is no substitute for a real 406 PLB with a built in GPS.

++ New Posts ++