WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

OT...What section of the OT did you hit? We were out on the Taum Sauk (and onto the Trace) for 3 days last week. Ended up going from Hwy 21 TH to 32/DD TH (on the Middle Fork). Weather was perfect, trail was mostly good.

-Mark in St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    i went fron osprey atmos to a circuit.i miss the compartments ,but the circuit holds all my winter gear well.i just got back from a two day,was planning on three +,section hike on the ozark trail.the circuit took its maiden voyage well at 27 lbs range.i found the weight confortable,and the space held all my hammock gear.id recomend this pack to anyone,being a picky tight azz when it comes to spending money,it is rare to say i find nothing wrong with my circuit.

Both are great and I don't think you can really go wrong with either. I chose the ULA Circuit because I felt that it rode a little better.

You gotta remember that those compression stuff sacks can add up to some weight too. A Catalyst is a good pack for 4 seasons as you need the increased CI capacity for increased bulky items and increased caloric requirements in cold weather. ALSO if you are hiking with another person like a spouse and you have increased weights and space requirements due to bulkier shared gear YOU have to carry the extra space is a blessing. As well for the summer, yes you will have a lot of excess capacity for places where resupply is a weekly gig like on the AT, but the good thing about the Catalyst is that the top can roll down and the pack shrinks down very well. If your resupply points is further apart then the increased CI is welcome to carry the extra food needed. Not saying you could not do it in a Circuit, but you have the room in a Catalyst when needed. On the AT its nice especially in the Spring/Fall.

Images

I haven't read all the entries, but for me it's a nobrainer to go with ULA! I only used Golite on my 2005 hike and had to change packs in Erwin because I was getting pinched nerves on my shoulders. Since then I have purchased three ULAs (Catalyst, Circuit, and CDT) and love them all! I mostly use the Circuit now that I have gone lighter. The CDT is great for shorter summer hikes.

Default GoLite Pack vs. ULA pack

I have both and hands down the ula circuit is well worth the extra $$$$!!!!!

Images

I used a the 2nd model of the jam on my thru attempt this year, and found it to be too heavy for what it was. a frameless sack with shoulder straps doesnt need to be anywhere NEAR 2 pounds.

BUT....it held up fine and worked as advertized, not a bad pack, you just can get more for the weight elsewhere.
    I've seen more spine in jellyfish

Can anyone give some insight/recommendation as far as the ULA J-strap vs. S-strap goes?

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Rat View Post
    Can anyone give some insight/recommendation as far as the ULA J-strap vs. S-strap goes?
    Check the information on their website. It has more to do with body shape (such as male vs. "typical female"). If you still need additional help contact them, they have "Great" customer service.

Journal Entries

I own a ULA catalyst and a Go Lite Dawn. I almost always use the Go LIte dawn now, its 13 oz and it took some effort to get it. ULA is only for long trips out west where water is scarce and ressupply is scarce
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

i use go-lite jam, am a section hiker, 1 to 4 weeks at a time. once i learned how to load the jam, i found it worked for me. it also taught me how to carry under 30 lbs., the pack is limited in how much weight to carry. i can carry for up to 6 days, then need to resupply.

.com

I recently got the GoLite Jam 70 for my thru hike, I have only taken it on a few short hikes so far but it seems really nice. Never hiked with a frame-less pack though so it'll be an experience!

I was thinking of getting the new Gorilla 2012 Ultralight Backpack. How does that compare?

http://gossamergear.com/packs/backpa...-backpack.html

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by miami View Post
    IMO, if you are utilizing an entire ULA Catalyst, you are certainly carrying too much weight (or have never heard of compression stuff sacks). Most of the folks I saw carrying a Catalyst could have easily moved into a Circuit.
    Or just prefer not to have to cram stuff in! I've heard of compression sacks, and rarely carry more than 25 pounds, but I like my fluffy down things to stay fluffy, and they can cushion all my other stuff - what little there is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++