WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Images

whats with the childproof thing anyway. why not just keep lighters away from children in the first place? i really cant remember a kid picking up a bic and tryiing to light it.i say we petition the good people at bic to remove the protective pita and market it as "adults only"

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    whats with the childproof thing anyway. why not just keep lighters away from children in the first place? i really cant remember a kid picking up a bic and tryiing to light it.i say we petition the good people at bic to remove the protective pita and market it as "adults only"
    If you're offended by the Bic, you should check out most movies on television---they are heavily edited, probably against directors' wishes, and are made safe for Everyone---and therefore suitable to no one except 4 year olds.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    If you're offended by the Bic, you should check out most movies on television---they are heavily edited, probably against directors' wishes, and are made safe for Everyone---and therefore suitable to no one except 4 year olds.
    i think we should remove the tines from forks so kids cant poke their eyes out accidentally.
    as i get older i seem to be having more trouble with the childproof stuff.
    and heinz ketchup in a squeeze bottle? kids will never understand the whole anticipation thing.
    the times they are a changin

Images

He released a statement saying that he wanted to spend more time with his family, and dedicate more time to his business.
    " Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today"-James Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Breeze View Post
    He released a statement saying that he wanted to spend more time with his family, and dedicate more time to his business.
    He's not a politician so it's believable!

Images

I never carry a lighter. Used a knife and magnesium stick on my thru this year. Using your knife correctly with the magnesium stick, you will never have to worry about a dull knife edge. Using a fixed blade knife, you should be using the top of the blade. Not the cutting edge.
    " Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today"-James Dean

I can't aim the bic down at the alcohol stove without burning my finger. I find the fire steel a lot easier. Just me - no fine motor strength in my first finger, which is how I'd have to hold it to light a stove. Besides, the fire steel is cool.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by quilteresq View Post
    I can't aim the bic down at the alcohol stove without burning my finger. I find the fire steel a lot easier. Just me - no fine motor strength in my first finger, which is how I'd have to hold it to light a stove. Besides, the fire steel is cool.
    A long time ago I took to dipping a blade of grass, or small twig in my alcohol , then lighting it, and using it to light the stove.
    Works much better. Also lets me put the windscreen in place, then light the stove too if its breezy.

While the fire steel is more macho than the Bic, both pale in comparison to lighting strike anywhere matches against your crotch or teeth. That's what real men do.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    A long time ago I took to dipping a blade of grass, or small twig in my alcohol , then lighting it, and using it to light the stove.
    Works much better. Also lets me put the windscreen in place, then light the stove too if its breezy.

Good to know, since the bic is my alternate fire source.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

I carry a mini Bic lighter and 6 waterproof matches as backup. The matches are in a tiny zip-lock in my ditty bag and I've never had to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    What happened to Dave?
    A press release from Cody stated the following about the show Dual Survival...

"The goal of the survival instructor is to keep people alive. To accomplish this goal, honesty, integrity, trust and competence must come first. These core values cannot be compromised or people’s lives are needlessly put at risk. In a profession where human lives are at stake, dishonesty about one's background and experience is an inexcusable breach of trust."[8]
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    magnesium sticks are a great way to dull your knife edge.
    Mine has a striker attached to it.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by quilteresq View Post
    I rarely carry an alcohol stove, or any stove at all, but I've been able to light it with the sparks from a lighter. I think I had removed the guard.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I rarely carry an alcohol stove, or any stove at all, but I've been able to light it with the sparks from a lighter. I think I had removed the guard.
    The first thing to go on a bic is the guard. Perfect job for the needle nose pliers on the Leatherman.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Tipi Walter;
    You remind me to say I always pry off the child proof thingie put on Bic lighters as it seriously interferes with my thumb flicking a flame. Can't stand that little piece of useless metal. I haven't used matches since 1978 as they tend to get wet, even the protected ones, they often won't light and they throw nice little sparks out onto firm Thermarests.

Hi...

Excellent tip regarding the Bics.

Also, the stormproof REI matches are the best ones to carry...info I got from people who know a lot more about them than I do.

daddytwosticks;
    I don't use a "Bic" lighter, standard or mini. I use the cheap generic ones in the multi-pack found at the check-out at Wal-Mart. Am I still cool?

Hi...

Are you talking about the ones that have a see-through reservoir? Those kinds I've had fail after as little as six turns of the spark wheel.

Images

Default What's wrong with a cheap Bic lighter?

Mini bic's fuel doesn't last long, it's better to get a regular size.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bubonicplay View Post
    Mini bic's fuel doesn't last long, it's better to get a regular size.
    I think you can get hundreds of lights from a mini bic. A full size is 1500-3000, or 1 hr burn time. If you cook twice a day, and arent trying to light esbit or something that takes long, a minibic should last a long long time.

Images

To light alcohol stove with mini-Bic lighter: 1. Pour alcohol into stove, 2. Find small stick about 6 inches long, 3. Dip stick into alcohol in stove, 4. Use Bic to light alcohol-coated end of stick, 5. Insert stick into stove. Voila!
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++