WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

I have trouble with a Bic lighter even in warm temps, much less when my hands are cold or wet. I found a tiny lighter marketed for cigars on an end cap at Walmart. It looks like a candle lighter but is only about two inches long. I only need to pull the trigger and fortunately I can still do that. I carry waterproof matches as a backup.

The problem I have with the BIC Minis is that they really aren’t that cheap.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The problem I have with the BIC Minis is that they really aren’t that cheap.
    Wayne
    Heh. I paid $50 for a stove with an igniter, which I believe is $10 more than the non igniter model (giga-power), and I still carry a mini Bic for back up, and a spare mini Bic to back up the first one. And a third one, just in case.

Now that I don't smoke anymore, I'll probably cut back to just one or two mini bics.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Heh. I paid $50 for a stove with an igniter, which I believe is $10 more than the non igniter model (giga-power), and I still carry a mini Bic for back up, and a spare mini Bic to back up the first one. And a third one, just in case.

Now that I don't smoke anymore, I'll probably cut back to just one or two mini bics.
    Apparently triple redundancy is common on the trail.
    In my case: Built in igniter. Full size lighter. Waterproof match safe and strike anywhere matches.
    “Come on Baby light my fire!”
    Wayne

I have a 12 year old pocket rocket and bought two Bic mini's at the same time. All three are still working and I have never been unable to get my stove lit. That covers over 3000 miles of trail backpacking. I carry both of the Bics because I just know one is about to run out. Sometimes simple is just fine.

Journal Entries

Stove with ignitor, mini bic #1 and mini bic #2 is my go to since my 2013 AT thru. Still have and use those 2 mini bics from that thru. I normally keep one boc handy and the other stored in a dry spot.

Anyone that needs advice on how to light a stove probably shouldn’t go hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Anyone that needs advice on how to light a stove probably shouldn’t go hiking.
    Does this mean that there will be a test?
    Wayne

-

Does this mean that there will be a test?
    Wayne
    yes, at the trailhead - failures will be sent home with the tail between the legs

I’ll bring my SVEA 123 and 1 match for the test.
    The sound will run the competition away.
    Wayne

My late 70's MSR XGK will blow your Svea away with loud. . . but, it aint anywhere near as pretty.

I remember being so excited when the MSR GK stoves came out because they had a pump and an awesomely effective windscreen system. I never looked back. And, I have no recollection of what I ever did with my Svea. It would be fun to have as an addition to my pointless stove collection. Actually, I think I may recall giving my Svea away to some poor sot that just wasn't cool enough or rich enough to own an XGK. . . oh, the ego of teenage mountaineers. . .
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wow... It's been six years since I've chimed in on this thread...

Back then, I said I only use matches.
    Today, I still carry a small set of regular matches in an old 35mm film canister. But those are more of a "back" that I only use on the rare occasions I try to build a fire.

Today, I carry a Bic Mini, and so long as it sparks, I can still light my stove with it even if the fuel runs out.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRichardCranium View Post
    In wilderness survival shows they always use those magnesium sticks to start fires. On my hike I found a Bic lighter in the first shelter that lasted all the way to Maine and beyond. Why not just use a regular cigarette lighter for fires, instead of magnesium sticks, waterproof matches, steel wool & battery, etc.
    IMHO, reliability. A little ferro stick weighs very little. I use a little bic lighter, but also carry a little ferro stick. I use the ferro stick whenever lighting a fire--good practice. Steel wool and battery are impractical. Waterproof matches are a good idea, as are magnesium blocks (with a ferro stick glued on the side).
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    No kidding - necromancing a post is one thing, but on a completely different topic is pure gold.
    AND it was his first post - bravo!
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by quilteresq View Post
    I can't aim the bic down at the alcohol stove without burning my finger. I find the fire steel a lot easier. Just me - no fine motor strength in my first finger, which is how I'd have to hold it to light a stove. Besides, the fire steel is cool.
    Yep; this! My solution is to carry kitchen matches. Work great, cheap, and I don't burn my knuckles when I light my stove

Wayne
    I often use a fire stick thing lighting my Svea. Have done so for decades. And I love the cheery roar. I also carry matches, for some reason.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Matches are a difficult habit to break. Hey!
    👍😄
    Apparently the SVEA 123 isn’t loud enough. I guess I need to pair the 123 with the Primus Himalayan MFS stove burning white gas. That should get everyone’s attention!
    Wayne

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

So we're actually doing this huh? The thread was brought back from the dead (as noted by others) by someone making his first post on WB (as noted by one other).

Ok, well since I wasn't in on this thread the first time I'm lighter user, don't see any value to using anything else. I do carry some waterproof matches in case my lighter goes defunct though.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Several years ago I put together a day pack of emergency items. Mostly extra camping gear i had... A knife, old stove, head lamp, etc. And I threw it in the backseat of my truck. This past weekend I decided to go thru it. When I got to the lighter, I discovered that the flint has turned to dust and no longer worked. It has been untouched for probably 5 years, and gone thru that many winter / summer cycles. Not sure if that can make a lighter flint decompose or not. Worth mentioning tho... Check yours before you head out.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I had the same problem burning the fingers. At the risk of becoming a WB outcast I'll fess up and say I do carry a Bic backup but broke down and spent a couple of bucks on a much wider lighter, with a much wider thumb bar to eliminate that burning sensation, it's still a plastic lighter and doesn't weigh much more than the Bic....DJEEP brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by quilteresq View Post
    I can't aim the bic down at the alcohol stove without burning my finger. I find the fire steel a lot easier. Just me - no fine motor strength in my first finger, which is how I'd have to hold it to light a stove. Besides, the fire steel is cool.
    Try a disposable pipe lighter, the flame comes out the side rather than the top - like these https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Linse-Du...HFJ9HS0VWATBV4
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++