WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default My ending packing list from my 2012 thru hike

When I was preparing for my thru hike earlier this year there was always plenty of people who posted their starting packing lists but only a few people who posted their ending packing lists. So I am posting the links the to my final packing list to help all of you prepare for next year's hike.

Below is the selection criteria I used for selecting my gear:
    1. Durable enough to last the whole trip. (If I was spending money on gear then I wanted it to last.)
    2. Ease of use. (I had to complete my thru hike in 4.5 months so time was not on my side therefore my gear was quick and easy to use.)
    3. No easter egg colors! (For some reason it seems like most hiking gear only comes in pastel colors which I hate...)

Gear list:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Clothing list:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Warrio...type=3&theater

Supply list:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Warrio...type=3&theater

If you have any questions about my gear feel free to ask!

Sean

Congratulations on your thru-hike, and thanks for raising funds for such a worthy cause.

Journal Entries

Were you warm enough with this ending list or did you add more layers for cooler weather?

Thanks for sharing! I see you have mentioned several "knee preservation" comments. I just injured my knee on a hike this summer and having never had knee issues before was wondering if you could offer advice? I am a Keen fan like yourself, but always went with a mid for stability; never thought about that being more strain on the knee...true?

Thanks Jeff!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Congratulations on your thru-hike, and thanks for raising funds for such a worthy cause.

What I have listed is all the cold weather gear that I used. But do understand that we had a very mild spring this year. Additionally, I am pretty warm blooded, so cold doesn't bother me much.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow n' Steady View Post
    Were you warm enough with this ending list or did you add more layers for cooler weather?

12 years in the Marines and I never had knee pain. By mythird day on the AT I was dealing with pretty severe knee pain. The guys atNeel Gap were the ones who suggested the low cut shoes. It makes sense if youthink about; freeing up your ankles to absorb more of the twisting and turningas you traverse rugged terrain. Also, taking ibuprofen and glycol chondroitin ona daily basis make a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazo View Post
    Thanks for sharing! I see you have mentioned several "knee preservation" comments. I just injured my knee on a hike this summer and having never had knee issues before was wondering if you could offer advice? I am a Keen fan like yourself, but always went with a mid for stability; never thought about that being more strain on the knee...true?

Thanks for the sharing!

You said that Sports Shield is better than Body Glide.... I looked online and it appears that Sports Shield is only available to purchase online... Is that what you found?

That's correct. Whenever I needed more, I just had come mailed to my next trail town stop.

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Thanks for the sharing!

You said that Sports Shield is better than Body Glide.... I looked online and it appears that Sports Shield is only available to purchase online... Is that what you found?

POPEYE

sir are yall doing a 2013 hike? Im retiring in Jan and have already made my mind Im going. I'm a wounded Iraq Marine(grunt) being medically retired and this will be my get my life back challenge.

Actually we are looking for veterans who want to hike in 2013. We plan to issue grants to offset the costs as well. Shoot me an email at [email protected]

Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by clowncsc View Post
    sir are yall doing a 2013 hike? Im retiring in Jan and have already made my mind Im going. I'm a wounded Iraq Marine(grunt) being medically retired and this will be my get my life back challenge.

any chance you can post your information here for those of us who aren't facebook

Unfortunately not on fb..,.thx anyway

Sure let me see if this works:
    Gear.jpgClothing.jpgSupplies.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by G-FOURce View Post
    any chance you can post your information here for those of us who aren't facebook

still not able to see it well enough to read it
    Gear.jpgClothing.jpgSupplies.jpg[/QUOTE]

If you click on it when it opens in the new window it zooms in.

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    still not able to see it well enough to read it
    Gear.jpgClothing.jpgSupplies.jpg
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks, how much did all that weigh?

My base weight with no food and water was around 26ish.

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    Thanks, how much did all that weigh?

POPEYE

I so can't wait to do this.....I need a vacation!

++ New Posts ++