WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Grabbing a coffee here at the Tipi Cafe before heading out to do my paper route.
    Bracing for rain, but at least the papers are light today.

Walter,

Thanks for the different perspectives. Forums of all subjects really lend themselves to a hive culture I've noticed over the years.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Agreed. So why does he need to attack others? Heck..only one person mentioned their gear weight or even what gear is brought:O

For all you know, some of us are secretly packing 10 lbs of marinated pork loin.
    Thats a fair point, and I am glad that this was split into a separate thread that's not in the UL forum.

I have to ask though, how do you cook a 10lb marinated pork loin on a dirtbag alcohol stove?
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 12-03-2012 at 09:26.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I totally admire the way Tipi goes about his hikes and I think an extension of this thread into something permanent along the lines of "tips for expedition hiking" would be a good thing. Possibly even a double thread, with the 2nd one catering to hiking from a "car camp" base. It would be one way to stage people into hiking from car camping.
    I can understand Tipi's annoyance at the U/L trend but don't think he should post in the U/L threads and instead leave them to the people interested in U/L.
    I'm glad the mods cut this thread and moved it as it wasn't the right place for it.
    I have an interest in both threads because I see both fast and light and heavy and slow hiking in my future. Different trails, different climates etc require different strategies.
    At the moment my focus is thru hiking (the AT first and then others) and this works best in my mind with at least a fair lean to lightweight.
    But a leisurely hike to "wilderness" and back is also something I would love to do in the future. I can think of no one who's tips would be more valuable for this than Tipi's.

Images

Default Car Camping !!

I just have to throw this in....
    This is car camping (for me) at Elkmont in GSMNP.
    I agree with Tipi Walter. I just love the outdoor experience. Miles per day are no concern....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

Quote Originally Posted by brotheral View Post
    I just have to throw this in....
    This is car camping (for me) at Elkmont in GSMNP.
    I agree with Tipi Walter. I just love the outdoor experience. Miles per day are no concern....
    I haven't yet reached the point where I "abide" car campingbut maybe someday I'll be doing it. I enjoy seeing old hobo-types living in the Cherokee national forest in their pickup trucks and staying put at a spot for 2 weeks and then moving on to another spot. Some of them remind me of old mountain men of the 1840's with big beards and hatchets except now they're nomads in pickup trucks. They seem to have no fixed address and stay out permanently.

The outdoor experience is the name of the game and mileage comes 3rd or 4th on the list of priorities although I do like to move every day and only pull basecamp zeros in crappy rainstorms or mountain blizzards. Moving every day is a priority and important to me for some reason. I guess it gives me the righteous excuse to eat heartily at every new camp, otherwise I'd just be sitting around all day in one spot snacking.

Images

It's a bit of a tradition amongst retirees in Australia to buy a big 4WD and a caravan (or Winnebago type thing) and "do Australia". i.e. travel around it, usually taking 6 months to 2 years to do it.
    My wife and I intend to sometime in the next 10 years (with a small 4wd and a camper trailer if I get my way).
    It's definitely not hiking but there often is a decent percentage who take lengthy hikes in different spots. It's definitely scenic and haven't met one yet that regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by OzJacko View Post
    It's a bit of a tradition amongst retirees in Australia to buy a big 4WD and a caravan (or Winnebago type thing) and "do Australia". i.e. travel around it, usually taking 6 months to 2 years to do it.
    My wife and I intend to sometime in the next 10 years (with a small 4wd and a camper trailer if I get my way).
    It's definitely not hiking but there often is a decent percentage who take lengthy hikes in different spots. It's definitely scenic and haven't met one yet that regretted it.
    I spent a month in Oz mid-November to mid-December of '07 and we rented a campervan - much smaller than a monster RV but it suited us well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I spent a month in Oz mid-November to mid-December of '07 and we rented a campervan - much smaller than a monster RV but it suited us well.
    If you went inland at that time of year you could have cooked on a piece of tin left in the sun....

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Thats a fair point, and I am glad that this was split into a separate thread that's not in the UL forum.

I have to ask though, how do you cook a 10lb marinated pork loin on a dirtbag alcohol stove?
    Who said I always bring an alcohol stove? I find if you bring the same gear for every trip, and if you continuosly do the same type of trip, it's a boring outdoor world.

I went solo backpacking over UTah where I went hiking all day.
    I am going to Chaco Canyon (not exactly backpacking terrain) at the end of this month car camping (during a fall moon no less!) mixed in with hiking and exploring.
    We should have it mainly to ourselves.

Both trips wil be awesome.

(Out West, easy to have 'remote' car camping esp in the winter months / off season. And for certains areas and activities, backpacking is not an option. )
    Last edited by Mags; 12-03-2012 at 10:07.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

If you went inland at that time of year you could have cooked on a piece of tin left in the sun....
    And we did. Especially since the AC conked out.

Oh, you're referring to our meals - I was talking about our bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I haven't yet reached the point where I "abide" car campingbut maybe someday I'll be doing it. I enjoy seeing old hobo-types living in the Cherokee national forest in their pickup trucks and staying put at a spot for 2 weeks and then moving on to another spot. Some of them remind me of old mountain men of the 1840's with big beards and hatchets except now they're nomads in pickup trucks. They seem to have no fixed address and stay out permanently.

There's more of us than you think. We grow tired of the hampster wheel. Except I upgraded to a fancy 84 chevy camper van

Images

I totally admire the way Tipi goes about his hikes and I think an extension of this thread into something permanent along the lines of "tips for expedition hiking" would be a good thing. Possibly even a double thread, with the 2nd one catering to hiking from a "car camp" base. It would be one way to stage people into hiking from car camping.
    I can understand Tipi's annoyance at the U/L trend but don't think he should post in the U/L threads and instead leave them to the people interested in U/L.
    I'm glad the mods cut this thread and moved it as it wasn't the right place for it.
    I have an interest in both threads because I see both fast and light and heavy and slow hiking in my future. Different trails, different climates etc require different strategies.
    At the moment my focus is thru hiking (the AT first and then others) and this works best in my mind with at least a fair lean to lightweight.
    But a leisurely hike to "wilderness" and back is also something I would love to do in the future. I can think of no one who's tips would be more valuable for this than Tipi's.
    .........+1
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

A coupla years ago, in the Smokys, at Double Spring Gap Shelter I think it was, there was a group of middle-aged guys from Ohio who had hiked up from Fontana Dam, night 3 for them. For dinner, they busted out Brats with all the fixings that smelled absolutely amazing especially since I was eating my usual just add water dehydrated crap. Then, after dinner, the guy who was in charge of dinner that night brought out ESKIMO PIES for all!! He had carried them wrapped in 12 pounds of dry ice for 30 miles or something. Why? Cause his trail name is Eskimo Pie.
    As Gallagher always said: "Style…you gotta have style!” Whatever yours is - make it your own and I'll respect you! But don't tell me what mine should be.

I've enjoyed all the great posts on Tipi's thread, but I think for Christmas the AT Santa should bring TipiWalter a new (and at a great savings of a one or two ounces), a very lightweight, micro-pocket rocket that can fit deep in the bowels of his backpack! Great thread.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

/QUOTE]

I had to chuckle in reading Tipi's description at the above dudes I love reading your stuff tipi, but in looking at some of your trail journal photos, I could easily have mistaken you for Uncle Si from the TV show Duck Dynasty !!

This comment is one of the most fair and balanced comments I've ever read. OzJacko...you really nailed this one. I agree with everything you said!!

Images

I'm a johnny come lately to this thread - I admire Tipi Walter - I've seen him many a time in Joyce Kilmer Wilderness and loving whatever weather the mountains bring - - no-one can ever carry everything they need to survive forever in a backpack - eventually, we all must re-supply in some form or fashion - even hunter / gatherers "hunt or gather." The important thing is taking what you need for the objective planned. If I'm going to hike multiple 25 mile days (like a big AT section hike or thru-hike), the kit is going to be light and I'll anticipate needing lots of re-supplies, support, gear change-outs, avail of coin laundries, etc. - - if the objective is spending 15 days in a wilderness area, like Tipi, the weight goes up (though I'd probably never carry 80 pounds). The point is that folks should work on learning what they need and don't need and carry the right mix - that's it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    .....I admire Tipi Walter - - (*much snippage*) - - if the objective is spending 15 days in a wilderness area, like Tipi, the weight goes up (though I'd probably never carry 80 pounds). The point is that folks should work on learning what they need and don't need and carry the right mix - that's it.

Agreed. I admire him too. I wish I had the time to do what he does.
    I just ran into Tipi on the trail this past Monday. He's still there, was planning on just over two weeks, and will be back sometime shortly before Christmas.

He invited me to try on his pack. I can tell you that I wouldn't want to carry it very far! His was probably a good 20 pounds heavier than the pack I was carrying.
    But it was amazing as I watched him leave camp, headed up the trail as if he were carrying a book bag. He is prepared for whatever "Miss Nature" throws at him. I can't think of anyone who understands how to cope with whatever comes any better than Walter. He not only has the gear, but the mental skill set to back it up.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cadenza View Post
    Agreed. I admire him too. I wish I had the time to do what he does.
    I just ran into Tipi on the trail this past Monday. He's still there, was planning on just over two weeks, and will be back sometime shortly before Christmas.

He invited me to try on his pack. I can tell you that I wouldn't want to carry it very far! His was probably a good 20 pounds heavier than the pack I was carrying.
    But it was amazing as I watched him leave camp, headed up the trail as if he were carrying a book bag. He is prepared for whatever "Miss Nature" throws at him. I can't think of anyone who understands how to cope with whatever comes any better than Walter. He not only has the gear, but the mental skill set to back it up.

Yep - but I might suggest that, Tipi Walter praise aside, that there is a certain element of mountain safety and preparedness in being light - - you can move rapidly to a better campsite when bad weather comes in (or bad people). Being light moves you down the trail faster and (to some extent safer) in a lot of ways. There are considerations to just about everything.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
++ New Posts ++