WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User Transient Being's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Osprey Hornet 46

Wow, this thing is light!!! 1 lb. 7oz. But is it good enough for a thru? Any ideas?

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___65688

i didnt see anyone use that pack this year during my thru hike. didn't seem to have enough support when i was looking at packs. the exos 46 on the other hand(i used a exos 34 from daleville,va until katahdin) was a very popular pack and not a whole lot heavier than the hornet. mine was 2 lbs, 2oz, and i think the 46 is like 2 lbs 6 oz or something.
    but after figuring out my gear and getting lighter and lighter, i think i could rock a hornet during an AT thru hike. except i dont think i would, and will just go frameless next time and get a pack that is under 1lb

hope this helps

Images

It's a nicely made frameless rucksack. Plenty of frameless packs out there among the ultralight hikers. It would work fine for a thru-hike if you are an ultralight hiker with a base weight in the 8-10 pound range, I reckon.

I tried one in a local shop and found the M/L size to be far too small for me in torso length. Shorter/smaller hikers would fine it fits just fine. It does seem to be well designed and well made.

Lots of other choices for this type of pack, many of them in the 8-12 ounce range or even less. See for example zpacks.com.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

As a followup, I don't see how Campmor puts this in the "internal frame" category.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    As a followup, I don't see how Campmor puts this in the "internal frame" category.
    From the owner's manual:

"The Hornet 46 also features dual internal Delrin side rods to provide the suspension needed to carry larger loads."
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird312 View Post
    Wow, this thing is light!!! 1 lb. 7oz. But is it good enough for a thru? Any ideas?

It's 6 ounces heavier and $35 more expensive than the Gossamer Gear G4, which debuted in 1998. Cutting edge stuff there Osprey. About a jillion thru-hikes have been done with the G4, and it's made in the USA.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Registered User Transient Being's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wow, never been to the zpacks website. Jeez, that stuff makes feathers look heavy. Looking at some of their weight makes my 27 oz. tent I just ordered look like cast iron. Oh, well, the cycle repeats itself.........

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

A fellow named AYCE was using the Hornet 46 this year on the AT. He didn't seem to be having any trouble. I believe he finished in less than 100 days, if that gives you an idea of his hiking style.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bird312 View Post

Check out the Osprey Hornet 46 thread, on General Gear Talk.
    Singletrack

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyWilly View Post
    From the owner's manual:

"The Hornet 46 also features dual internal Delrin side rods to provide the suspension needed to carry larger loads."
    Huh, thanks. I didn't see that on the Osprey web site, and I didn't notice them when I tried on the pack. It felt pretty flexible with a load.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I talked to an Osprey rep back in September and she said they will start offering the Hornet 46 in small, medium, and large near the beginning of 2012.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

The 2012 Hornet 46 will come out on January 9, 2012. New sizing, S, M, L. $159. 24 ounces.
    Singletrack

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
    The 2012 Hornet 46 will come out on January 9, 2012. New sizing, S, M, L. $159. 24 ounces.
    note to self... start trying to come up w/ all possible reasons, to share with my wife, why I need ANOTHER backpack.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Transient Being View Post

I think so, at least for the middle of the AT when less gear is needed. I own and use the Hornet 46 and Exos 46, pretty much interchangebly. the Exos is definitely more comfortable with loads over 22-24 pounds or so. My scheme is to start my NOBO with the Exos next year, switch to the one-pound lighter Hornet for up into New England, then back to the Exos for the finish. My medium/large Hornet 46 weighs 25 ounces, my wife's small/medium 24 ounces. 1lb-7oz spec is "light" an ounce or two. MAYBE mine is a pre-Jan 2012, though I bought it in Feb/March of this year. I've used it for maybe 200 trail miles and some multi-nighters. Again, fine when low twenties weight, not good above 25, for me, at least. The Exos is find to 30-35.

Default Osprey Hornet 46

I used mine on my foothills trail thru hike last year and loved it. Only 76 mile trail tho. It worked great and I'm 6 foot 1 and It fits me very well.

++ New Posts ++