WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default Who/what impresses you the most:

I'm still amazed at the numbers of trail miles some of the members here have...just read about Nean,,,,triple triple crowner! in my wildest dreams i cannot imagine that feat....but at the same time i am blown away by the shear volume of miles I'm also blown away by the lady volunteer on the Cumberland Trail last year that has been at every Big Dig since the Cumberland Trail was concieved.
    Honestly I'm amazed at it all, someone who loves the AT so much he/she would hike it over and over, someone who will carry a chainsaw up Roan Mtn. to clear a monkey puzzle, and someone who will put the AT corridor in their will.
    I only post this, and the poll as a message/reminder that it takes many with many different angles to keep the U.S. trail system alive and well.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

Medicine Man, that is a great post. I think we all need to be reminded of the "behind the scenes" work that goes on. The trail is much more than the thru-hikers that hike on it. It really would not survive without thousands of volunteer hours by local clubs and maintainers and the folks who are involved through agency partnerships and the employees of the ATC and various trail clubs, states parks and other workers and volunteers.

During RR training this week I met a lot of great people who have been utterly committed to protecting and preserving the trail over the course of their lifetime. After catching a glimpse into their work over the years, it makes the life of a thru-hike seem a very small insignifcant part of the AT.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Bob Peoples, with his complete dedication to the trail, impresses me more than anyone else I've met. He, and those like him (though few are in his catagory), are way more important than any single hiker.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default amazed & confused...

hey Medicine Man...

i thought you were out on the trail with "Baltimore Jack"?

what happened???
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

A shout out to the volunteer trail crews, like the Konnarock Crew, that give vacation time to swing Pulaskis.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/prot...ard/crews.html
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Jaybird, you're thinking of Mountain Dew. Same number of letters, but a different person.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice
    A shout out to the volunteer trail crews, like the Konnarock Crew, that give vacation time to swing Pulaskis.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/prot...ard/crews.html
    Yup, there was a time that I was impressed by long distance hikers. No longer though. It's the volunteers that impress me. Spend a day building or maintaining rail, and you'll understand why. Although its hard work, its some of the most satisfying work you'll ever do. You meet some great folks too.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default Mowgli,

that reminded me of Abraham Lincoln and John Kennedy, something about the same number of letters.....and though i would consider it an honor to hike with the master Jack, alas it hasnt happened, but its a small world and you never know.....but if anyone wants to hike with me I headed north from Big Meadows this coming Sunday, only have 3 days so wont get far.....

and something else to think about in this thread:::::::::

if no one did a thing to the trail (maintanence crews,etc) how long until the trail would be taken over by the forest?
    at first i would say a couple of years, maybe three...but 1/4 mile from my house part of the Overmountain Trail still exists in its purist form and there is and has been no maintenance on it and yet no trees, no laural, no rhododenron grow on it????????
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default my mistake...sorry!

thanks for the CORRECTION Mowgli16...

yea, i hear the duo arent doing a load of hikin' anyway...
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Multiple thru-hikes, triple crowns, thousands of AT miles just shows a person has lots of of time on thier hands and few responsibilities. And some $.

Yeah those like Bob & Pat People, are absolutely wanderful. I stayed at the Kincora in 00, and have visited him and pat, once there are great people.

But I have to mention a special trail angel here also, hope all will forgive for it. George and Murray in VA. I ran into Geogre on a day hike, and was asking where I could camp near the road so i could hit town first thing in the morning, not knowing who he truely even after he introduced himself.

He told to hike to the next road and wait by the pay phone and he would pick me up in two hours and take home with him, well I covered that distance in an hour & thirty minutes flat. On the way to his house i asked if I could by him and wife dinner, he said no she heating up left over's for me. Then he told me they George and Murray the trail angels, they took me home, let shower, gave me clothes to wear while I did laundry, fed me more than I could eat REALLY. And let me sleep on their living room.

Why are they my special Angels, I was done just enough food for an appetizer ( I should mention I always had extra food, the day before entering town) I was truely truely hungry and had accepted the fact that I was going to go bed with hunger pains that night, and out of no where, on cloudy, misty, cool evening there was George. God so did help me that night.

Sorry about the details people, but I think George and Murray, are right their next to Bob & Pat, in my book anyways. Both couples have done a lot for lot hikers and the trail community as a whole.

The most impressive people are the ones who stay hidden in the shadows of trail legend and still do what they do to make everyone elses trip the amazing trip it is.

The workers, angels and others who make the impossible barable, and the barable a little easier. The smiles and words of encouragment and the acts and deeds of strangers who give of thier spirits and lives to help spread the experiance of giving without a need for a reward.

The lights that shine in the darkest hours of a long term hike, the love given freely from the heart, and the humanity that is displayed without pride and arrogance.

Long miles, superior purists and judgemental people who assume because they hike alot, that they are Gods, or legends that others must immulate are sad, as they havent gotten 'it' yet. Its the humble, caring people that you dont hear about that are the lifeblood of any hike.

They blood sweat and tears these people put out for nothing other then the satisfaction of helping others or working to better the trail...these are the ones who matter and make me smile.

But then...I love everyone.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lion King
    The most impressive people are the ones who stay hidden in the shadows of trail legend and still do what they do to make everyone elses trip the amazing trip it is.

The workers, angels and others who make the impossible barable, and the barable a little easier. The smiles and words of encouragment and the acts and deeds of strangers who give of thier spirits and lives to help spread the experiance of giving without a need for a reward.

The lights that shine in the darkest hours of a long term hike, the love given freely from the heart, and the humanity that is displayed without pride and arrogance.

Long miles, superior purists and judgemental people who assume because they hike alot, that they are Gods, or legends that others must immulate are sad, as they havent gotten 'it' yet. Its the humble, caring people that you dont hear about that are the lifeblood of any hike.

They blood sweat and tears these people put out for nothing other then the satisfaction of helping others or working to better the trail...these are the ones who matter and make me smile.

But then...I love everyone.

Very well said...........
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I'm impressed by my honey! She rocks me!!

The people who impress me are the ones who go out into the world and put their bodies on the line to make sure that we have the opportunity to sit here and congratulate ourselves about how many miles we have hiked, how light our packs are, how well our latest home-made alcohol stove works, etc.

Lone Wolf has got it right. It's just a vacation. It's just hiking.

If confined to trail related people alone, the people who I admire are the ones who do the work. Who lobby the hell out of Congress and state legislatures to get the money needed to keep the project going and maintain it. The volunteers who bleed and sweat into the trail making it reasonably safe for us slackers to hike on. I admire hostelers who work hard to provide services for hikers who don't realize how much work it takes to serve them.

The hikers I admire the most are the weekend duffers who have been piecing together the whole trail a little at a time, year after year all while raising children, maintaining a home and building a career. Anybody can thru-hike the AT so long as they have the time, money, will and are in reasonably good condition for the time and daily mileage goals they have alloted. If a blind man, children and 80+ year old men and women can do it, the only reason a fit young twenty-something person couldn't do it is lack of will or discipline.The difference between one thru-hike and twenty is time and money.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Default Despite the tiresome cynicism...

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Multiple thru-hikes, triple crowns, thousands of AT miles just shows a person has lots of of time on thier hands and few responsibilities. And some $.
    Those experiences reflect a lot more than time and money.

I'm impressed by all those feats, and thankful to all the volunteers whose work makes it possible!

tideblazer
    Images

I'm impressed by any person who walks with an open heart and listens to the great lessons of the trail. I'm even more impressed by those who take those lessons and apply them in there everyday life.

Much respect to you ALL.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

tideblazer
    Images

My, oh my, I wrote "there" instead of "their". Thank goddess this is not a political thread.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

While it may be true that I own a few speed records... I've never been impressed by speed or miles for the sake of speed and miles. Good people are good people and. There are so many wonderful people who in their own way make the AT and all trails, what they are. I've been lucky enough to play in the woods for a few years now. I've had no more time than anyone else my age, live below the poverty line but decided to follow my passion, as I'm sure many others do. All the oldtimers inspired me along with many others. Perhaps the 1st and still current is my friend, the I.D.H.F.H. Thank you for the kind words MM Life is short as it is good, live, laugh, learn, Love, LETITBE

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Wookie View Post
    I'm impressed by any person who walks with an open heart
    shoulda seen me in the OR recently

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++