WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Rain Jacket for an Early March Thru

So I'm planning an early march start for a nobo thru and am thinking about rain jackets. I recently bought an REI Kimtah rain jacket and really like it so far. But I'm wondering if its too heavy, and maybe I should take it back. It looks like go-lite has some nice looking rain jackets that are 5-7 oz lighter (and cheaper), does any one have any opinions on these?

I know dri-ducks are cheaper and lighter but with the early start I want something that will also add a bit of warmth. Though I may pick up some dri-ducks along the way.

I also want the jacket to be durable. It would be awesome if the jacket lasted the whole trip, which is where the REI jacket has the edge over the go-lites. Do you guys have any experience on weather the go-lites will hold up? though with the price I could get 2 go-lites for the same price as the REI jacket.

The Kimath is more breathable than the go-lite jackets but I'm not sure exactly how much more.

Thanks for your help. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I remember you put up a gear list a while back and I was on your case about that jacket

It's listed at nearly a pound on the website... That's some serious weight for something that isn't actually going to keep you dry anyways.

I know dri-ducks are cheaper and lighter but with the early start I want something that will also add a bit of warmth.
    No, you don't, really. Remember that whole concept of layering to adapt to different situations. A light rain shell + a warm baselayer is going to be more versatile than a rain shell with insulation sewn into it. If you think you will want more warmth, bring along another long sleeve shirt.

I also want the jacket to be durable. It would be awesome if the jacket lasted the whole trip,
    If you baby them, people have made it the whole trail on a single pair of DriDucks. The AT is so heavily traveled and well maintained that it shouldn't be too hard to keep your gear in good shape. You aren't bushwhacking. Also, remember that the purpose of a rain jacket is to keep you warm, not to keep you dry. So even if you get some holes or rips in a jacket or pants, it'll still probably perform its job well enough so long as it isn't completely falling apart.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I started off with a DriDuck jacket. It did loose it's ability to repel water after a few months. By then it was warm enough I just ditched and didn't carry any rain gear at all. When I got to Hanover I used my old Marmot PreCip.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I just went with precip - it went over my layers and my down jacket just fine. Summer though I like my dri duck.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I love my OR Helium II rain jacket! It is lightweight and works as a rain/wind shell really well. It is a bit on the expensive side but I was able to negotiate a great deal at Sundog outfitters in Damascus last year. This is what I will use on my thru hike in 2014.

Images

I use a Marmot Mica @ 7 oz. and a Marmot Vest @ 6.2 oz. Get two for one, I really like hiking in the vest.

++ New Posts ++