WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Cool Cold weather sleeping questions

How can I augment my 30 degree Eureka bag (2lbs-not down)? I see several liners on the market and read their reviews, not so convinced about it. i learned recently about the idea of a reflective layer between me and the pad to return my body heat. I know about fueling up the body and getting the blood moving prior to getting in the bag.

Any ideas how I can inprove the bags performance? I love the bag, just need to boost its abilities. Does anyone out there have a good system that is light and on a budget?

Thanks

Images

use your down jacket like pajama pants.

try wearing a mid or heavy weight base layer.
    see the path cut by the moon for you to walk on

Images

Most sleeping bag liners add around 10 degrees and yes they do work. Adding your long johns helps too. Wearing a hat while sleeping helps a lot too. But if it is going to be below 20 degrees you should just invest in a better bag and still use the above.

I am anti-liner. I would rather my "liner" be clothes.

For winter: I have light down pants for camp. I have a more robust down parka for camp. Wearing these has allowed me to sleep in perfect comfort down to 19° with my 30-degree bag (I don't know how low that comfort would go). I am also warm at camp.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

I dig wearing particular clothes,hats etc, and I have good choices in that dept. I am more focused on the bag liner and the reflective layer under the bag and on top of the pad. Any particualr choices you like for a reflective type of blanket ( auto sun shade?) or a liner ( extreme ?)

Thanks

Ditto ChinMusic --- I'm anti-liner too. If you were selecting all of your gear from scratch then the best way to get to the desired warmth is to add more down to your bag. Next best IMO is puffy clothing (down jacket, booties, etc) in a bag that has enough room to loft (note that I'm not talking here of very cold temps where a VB liner makes sense).

Specifically what works for me to bring my 20F down bag into colder temps is a down parka, very light silk long johns, and down booties, plus of course a good layered hat system that includes something to cover my nose (nose can get painfully cold for me at least). The clothing I can use (and need) in camp anyway; when it's very cold I can even hike in the long johns.

I'm not saying that the liner adds no warmth. I don't think the amount of warmth they add justifies the cost in weight and just hassle (getting in and out of the bag, getting 'tangled', etc).
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Since no one has asked. Is your current bag a true 30 degree bag? If the 2 lbs is fill, perhaps so. My practice is to carry a warm enough sleeping bag to start with. The only time I use a liner is in extreme cold, when I use a second bag as an inner. Otherwise, go with the advice and wear your down clothing to bed.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Free: wear all your clothes

Free: Pitch camp where it's warmer. A short move can make a huge difference.

Super cheap: trash bag vapor barrier clothing

Expensive: ultralight bivy

Something to think about: Are you using enough pad? A Walmart blue pad cut to torso length costs about $7 and probably weighs about 7 ounces.

Hat/balacava, Mittens, down booties. If it is a mummy bag sleep in it properly with the hood snug.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Hat/balacava, Mittens, down booties. If it is a mummy bag sleep in it properly with the hood snug.
    The mittens and head cover go without question. You got em anyway...wear em. I bring down booties for winter but have never had to wear them in my bag. My feet just don't get cold.....don't know why.

I just cannot sleep with my mummy bag snugged all the way up. Claustrophobia sinks in. My head cover does the trick.

My limits are when it gets near 0°. I just cannot figure out how to breath without tearing up my throat. Breathing through my nose is easy......as long as I am awake. Once I sleep, mouth-breathing takes over and the throat suffers.

Images

For the winter, if you are a during a quick overnight, you may be able to experiment with hand warmers. At least, this is an experiment I want to conduct this winter.

As others have already mentioned, I think I am going to bring some extra sleeping layers to assure my 15 degree bag performs well enough in the winter. Also, I feel that pitching your shelter in a wind-free location benefits your warm enormously. A few weekends back, I went for a quick overnighter at a local shelter. Unfortunately, this shelter faces down the mountain, making it very vulnerable to a rush of cold air up the mountainside. Even inside the shelter, you could feel the cold breeze stealing warmth from your bag.

In the event that my bag is too cold or I wake up freezing, I plan on tossing some of those hand warmers into a pair of socks and sticking it at the bottom of my bag. I noticed that if you wake up cold later in the night it can be difficult to rewarm your bag, especially since it has been a while since you consumed food. I would think that the hand warmers may be a nice insurance policy when my body isn't warming up the bag and the bag isn't performing as I would like on a winter overnight.

I am assuming you will layer up a bit - ( no cotton!) mid or heavy weight polyester or wool is the way to go .

Eat a bit and hydrate prior to sleep. Walk around a bit and rub the arms ( not to the point you sweat, lol ) . The food will increase your metabolism which increases your core temperature . Moving around will increase your temp a bit as well .

Heat a bit of water and pour it into a non spill container and use it as a warmer in your bag. In a pinch , heat stones !

Make sure you position your tent such that wind does not blow directly into any meshed areas or the vestibule.

Keep your feet, hands and head WARM - these are areas you easily lose heat in . Foot warmers , a jacket in the foot box, down or other quality gloves in really extreme cold , a boggin or balaclava on your head is a MUST. A good insulated jacket will make a difference big time , especially down .

Hey Chinmusic I bought this for skiing, but thought it might be useful for some of you cold weather hikers. Haven't used it yet, so can't vouch for its efficacy. The advertising blerb sounds good, but then again, when doesn't it? http://coldavenger.mybigcommerce.com...hell-in-black/

Quote Originally Posted by etboy View Post
    Hey Chinmusic I bought this for skiing, but thought it might be useful for some of you cold weather hikers. Haven't used it yet, so can't vouch for its efficacy. The advertising blerb sounds good, but then again, when doesn't it? http://coldavenger.mybigcommerce.com...hell-in-black/
    Thanks for the link. That product looks interesting. For now my plans are to avoid near zero temps. I have only slept outside in those temps to test my gear and to better understand my limits.

Wear a thin layer of wool over your face and eyes, breathing through it. Something like a wool neck tube that integrates well with your wool hat and wool sweater and fleece hoody.

Try not to breathe into your bag. That is where the moisture come from.

Quote Originally Posted by keepinitsimple View Post
    How can I augment my 30 degree Eureka bag (2lbs-not down)? I see several liners on the market and read their reviews, not so convinced about it. i learned recently about the idea of a reflective layer between me and the pad to return my body heat. I know about fueling up the body and getting the blood moving prior to getting in the bag.

Any ideas how I can inprove the bags performance? I love the bag, just need to boost its abilities. Does anyone out there have a good system that is light and on a budget?

Thanks
    Down booties, balaclava, gloves, fully dressed, good meal, plenty of hydration and don't scrimp on the pad underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    Down booties, balaclava, gloves, fully dressed, good meal, plenty of hydration and don't scrimp on the pad underneath.
    +1, a perfect answer

Images

Thanks guys,

Dressing right was always on my mind- neck gator was a new thought- could cover my face as well.

Did anyone have expereince with the reflective layer between the bag and the pad to send body heat back? Something similar to a mylar layer, or using a windshield sun blocker thing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++