WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Go barefoot like the sisters
    can't never did

I have typically hiked in lightweight, GoreTex-free boots. I used one model of Hi-Teks that fit my foot to perfection. Wore several pairs out over the years. Now, they quit making that model. <sigh> I'm going to try trail runners on a series of backpacking hikes before the start of my thru-hike. I'll probably start w/ trail runners and see how that goes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter503 View Post
    This is the truth. I will just add that I take my trail runners off at camp, remove the SuperFeet, and then wear the shoes around until I get in my sleeping bag. Gives the feet a little more breathing room while around camp.
    this is exactly what I do. It's kinda like having a different pair of more-comfortable shoes for around camp. Since I started doing this I no longer need to carry sandals of other comfy camp shoes.

With respect to the original topic: I've gone the complete gamut, from heavier boots 15 years ago and earlier, then about 10 years in the "trail runner" mode. When I started doing the really big mile stuff, I started getting sore feet often wearing trail runners, basically I had metatarsal and other foot issues. Orthodics helped a bit. But finally my foot doc recommended low-cut lite hikers with stiff soles. what a difference. Happy feet from then forward! Some might call these "trail runners", kind of a loose term, they don't look like much more of a shoe than trail runners but the main difference is the stiff sole. Relatively stiff soles (stiffer than runners, softer than full-shank boots) are the key for me and foot comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by TNjed View Post
    Go barefoot like the sisters

They wore sandals on the Pa. rocks and boots when the weather got too cold for bare feet. They also carried heavier loads (especially SOBO) than many "lightweight" hiker carry these days.

Quite a feat, either way, but they just enjoyed going barefoot, so it's certainly possible. If speed hiking is your game, barefoot may not be the way to go. The sisters didn't routinely march off long mileage days barefoot.

This does, however, seem to speak loudly to those who feel that ankle support is absolutely necessary for the average hiker.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Default Hiking boots vs Hiking shoes/trail running shoes

I choose to use low shoes. Dry fast and they last.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    most boot wear'ers get to a shelter, sit down, remove boots, thump them down, and make a sound like, "ugh" while horizontally shaking their head at them. most shoe wear'ers get to a shelter and take off their shoes before they get in their sleeping bag. most boot wear'ers convert.
    I'll echo this one... I was that boot wearer, Clifford speaks of.

Mind you, I had absolutely NO problems with blisters, nor did I feel like the extra couple of pounds were much/if any burden. But, after a day of hiking in leather boots, when you do take them off, my best description would be that I can feel my feet breathe.

I still use my boots for winter hikes, or if I'm hiking with my family and carrying a loaded 70 liter. Other than that, I've tried a couple of trail runners and have become fond of the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2's. Super breathable, super comfy and pretty light. Best of all, I can slip them on/off easy when I set up my hammock for a lunch break/nap

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    most boot wear'ers get to a shelter, sit down, remove boots, thump them down, and make a sound like, "ugh" while horizontally shaking their head at them.
    It is fairly common to see people with boots off during the day taking a break, rubbing their feet.
    I often wonder what they think about when others smiling comfortably walk by them in shoes and with light packs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    It is fairly common to see people with boots off during the day taking a break, rubbing their feet.
    I often wonder what they think about when others smiling comfortably walk by them in shoes and with light packs.
    theyre thinking"hey our feet hurt but you are obviously underequipped and will die."

Ramblin around your city, rambling around your town...

Quote Originally Posted by G.Sterling View Post
    I have always hiked in boots, but i read a post the other day where someone mentioned that most thru hikers and serious long distance hikers will probably wear shoes instead of boots. Anyone have info on this? I'm in the market for a new pair of boots/shoes, my old ones still have some life left in them but not too much i suspect.

based on what I saw, seemed to be about a 50-50 split between trail runners/boot wearers of people who actually finished the trail. So, I don't think footwear is going to determine anything except how comfortable you will be during your hike.

I switched from boots to trail runners after the first 100 miles...... for the most part I liked the trail runners a lot better but at times wish I had my boots.

there are pros and cons to each type of footwear. (feet stay dry, shoes actually dry up, more ventilation, etc etc.... no clear winner unless weight is your only objective.)

the one piece of footwear that I'd completely advise against is the vibram toe shoes.....

Registered User Sunshine Tami Jo's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I want to make the transition to trail runners but I'm fearful. IN 2011 I did about 700 miles of the AT and frequently my feet were in AGONY. I trued many different boots without success. And I'm not talking about blisters...the bottoms of my feet hurt from all the roots and rocks, which is what makes me fearful to switch to trail runners. But maybe the lighter weight would save my feet, I don't know. Anyone experience similar pain and found that trail runners help?

I usually start out in late March on the AT using trail runners and they work well since the most we normally get is rain and light smow. The trail in Georgia is well maintained and not that all rocky. I mail my leather boots to Fontana and forward my trail runners to Hot Springs because I have many times been caught in ice and heavy deep wet snow in the Smokies. The boots seem to give me a extra edge when I run into these conditions. I take along a small plastic bag and store the boots in the foot of my sleeping bag so they will not freeze during the night. Once I hit Hot Springs, I send the boots home and the trail runners serve me well for the rest of the trip. I know this mailing may be overboard but it does not cost that much and it works for me since I have experienced frozen feet and nerve damage hiking in the Smokies. swamp dawg

Images

I've hiked in significant snow for over 50 miles in just trail shoes - - for 95% of thru-hikes, boots are unnecessary, are heavier, and are more prone to cause blisters. I do suggest hiking boots for trekking in the snow and in very cold weather (very cold, like colder than the AT in a cold spring rain) but thru hikers and long distance hikers should make some sort of hiking SHOE their first choice.

POPEYE

Ive worn boots the last twenty years, Infantry Marines. My body is just use to wearing boots so Im going with boots personally. Ive walked 25 plus miles in boots (military lowest bidder manufacturer) and cotton socks, because thats what you have to wear, and literally pulled the skin off my feet after or better yet thought my boots were full of water when in all actuality it was my foot squishing from the blood and popped blisters. But like is said in previous posts its what your body knows is good. I'm going with Asolo 520's Ive been wearing them well over a month now and they feel pretty good, like driving a Cadillac compared to what Im use to. I plan to start in late March after I retire.

Registered User Sunshine Tami Jo's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Wel,l reading about boots filled with blood and blisters doesn't incline me toward boots. Funny you claim loyalty to boots and then relate that. But frankly if I stick with boots it will be my Asolos too. They've served me well with no blisters but they are heavy.

Trail runner can work in winter if they are the right trail runner = light and non water absorbing, and you can wear them over a gortex sock and light medium or thick wool sock, and lace them so the are just right. Also needed are gaiters that don't allow any snow into anywhere the snow can melt and create a thermal break. You gotta test in out in postholing and even walking in meltwater conditions. Somedays neoprene socks may be needed. Upside is less weight on feet and better grip than most alternatives. I still think light leather ankle boots would be as good or better if they could be build lighter and have a soft aggressive rubber tread like a trail runner, that you could retread when worn out.

POPEYE

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Tami Jo View Post
    Wel,l reading about boots filled with blood and blisters doesn't incline me toward boots. Funny you claim loyalty to boots and then relate that. But frankly if I stick with boots it will be my Asolos too. They've served me well with no blisters but they are heavy.
    I guess the point I was trying to make is one no matter the pain I would always wear boots just because I'm use to them I've worn them everyday for over 20 yrs, military boots are junk but we deal with it. My other point I guess I was trying to make is good boots won't hurt your feet nor will the weight bother someone in a case such as mine, we would walk a 25 mile hike that had to be completed in 7 1/2 hours. Yea it sucked and then take in the junk packs we had to carry too. Boots are great but it's my opinion and so is duct tape I late learned.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by clowncsc View Post
    I guess the point I was trying to make is one no matter the pain I would always wear boots just because I'm use to them I've worn them everyday for over 20 yrs, military boots are junk but we deal with it. My other point I guess I was trying to make is good boots won't hurt your feet nor will the weight bother someone in a case such as mine, we would walk a 25 mile hike that had to be completed in 7 1/2 hours. Yea it sucked and then take in the junk packs we had to carry too. Boots are great but it's my opinion and so is duct tape I late learned.
    J-ville????? Have we vacationed in the same squadbay?.........Ran the 3mile in 17:00 in those boots!

I started off with boots because I didn't know any better. I kept upgrading to lighter boots until I started hiking in minimalist footwear. That didn't work out on longer trips so now I hike in New Balance trail runners. Hiked the LT in them and won't ever wear boots again. Take a pair of shoes with you and try both. It won't take long before you know what works.

Images

People are very stubborn about wanting to wear boots until they have actually hiked about 100 miles in a pair - - at that point, assuming normal trail conditions (maybe even some light snow patches in higher elevations), about 80% of the people that think they are dyed in the wool boot wearers, given the choice, transition to some sort of "hiking shoe" the shoe might be termed a "trail runner" or an "approach shoe" or even a "light hiker" - - there are about 20% of the people (who probably have pretty well made boots) that stick with boots. So (remember, I'm a trail runner guy about 85% of the time) but here is my take on quality boots:

For real boot lovers (or people who intend on trekking in deeper snow or alpine conditions) I would suggest the following three boots (and boot makers)

The LaSportiva Karakorums $400 +/-
    www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/mountain/karakorum

Scarpa Mountaineering Wrangell GTX - they are made in Italy $300 +/-
    www.gore-tex.com/product/scarpa-wrangell-gtx-boot/1353190384966/
    not as warm as the Karakorums (IMO)

Peter Limmer and Sons - - they make the boot that the 20% of old school backpackers, and former thru-hikers dream of - - they are old-school. They don't make most boots like they used to (unless they are Limmers)
    The previous two boots are likely warmer and better insulated but once a hiker breaks in a pair of Limmers (probably a couple of hundred miles) they are said to be very supple and comfortable. As a trail runner, when I see a pair of boots, I'm leery unless they are Limmer's - - if you see someone wearing a pair, they probably know a thing or three. They are all custom (I think) and now run about $750 for a pair - made in New Hampshire
    www.limmercustomboot.com
    Last edited by Papa D; 01-06-2013 at 20:20.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Tami Jo View Post
    I want to make the transition to trail runners but I'm fearful. IN 2011 I did about 700 miles of the AT and frequently my feet were in AGONY. I trued many different boots without success. And I'm not talking about blisters...the bottoms of my feet hurt from all the roots and rocks, which is what makes me fearful to switch to trail runners. But maybe the lighter weight would save my feet, I don't know. Anyone experience similar pain and found that trail runners help?
    This sounds a lot like what turned out to be, for me,
    metatarsalgia, which I cured by going BACK to stiffer soled, but low cut and lightweight "boots". Basically, my switch to trail runners about 8 years ago was a bad idea... for me. I still use trail runners, for, er, trail running, but I need stiff soles for long hikes these days.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++