Default Sleeping bag for cold temps

I am planning a thru this coming spring and from what I have read it appears as if temps can range from very hot to very cold depending on section. I already have a nice lightweight bag for warm temps, but am beginning to research for a cold temp bag. Would 0 degree be overkill? Would a 15 degree bag be more appropriate?

I already have a Kelty 32 degree bag as well that I've been very happy with and used on my AT thru, however it is about 4 1/2 lbs- a bit heavy- and I'm nervous the cold temps will be more severe than AT.

Mountain Hardwear looks like it has some nice bags...

basically what temp rating do y'all think would be best and I'm open to whatever info folks can offer!

thanks!

If you're doing a standard NOBO in a sort of standard time frame I think a 0 degree bag is overkill. Unless it's such a low quality bag that it's really only as warm as a quality 20F bag, maybe. Unless you need a warmer bag than average, then if you only have one bag to do the whole trail, go for a 20F down bag. Since you have the Kelty 32F, consider having that mailed to you at the same place that you mail your bear canister home (that was Bridgeport for me, out of Sonora Pass). You might or might not want to swap back to your 20F bag when you get somewhere into WA state. I finished in mid-September and for me the 32F bag was fine all the way to the end, but that's not the case for every person, every year.

Oh wait, your 32F bag is 4-1/2 pounds?!? "Never mind", definitely don't swap to that, unless you're swapping it with someone else for something useful!!

I was colder on the AT than I ever was on the PCT, but I started the AT in late Feb. Most of the time on the PCT you can "walk high but sleep low" in the snowy bits. I never slept on snow on the PCT (of course YMMV there too).
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Hi Cerridwen,
    For what it's worth, I did my thru-hike using a down bag rated at around -2C (28F)
    Managed ok, but found it a bit cold at times and put more clothing on. Didn't have a bag liner and it would have helped a bit to have had one I think. Conditions can change but I reckon a 20F bag would be a good 'general' rating for the trail.
    Slept in snow just below a couple of passes. On one waking next morning with tent just about buried in snow, but surprisingly that was one of the warmer nights at those altitudes - must have been a sort of 'igloo' effect!
    Agree with Brian and think maybe a 0 degree (F?) bag would be overkill.

Images

0°F is overkill. 20°F is a good all around rating for a bag on the PCT. I prefer quilts though, and particularly EnLIGHTened Equipment backpacking quilts. One of the things I really like about them is that the drawstring at the end of foot box can be opened for extra ventilation. This will be nice in the summer. The summer I was up in the Sierras I wished my 20°F quilt had a drawstring footbox. Backpacking quilts are lighter and less expensive than comparable sleeping bags too, even if you factor in the cost of a fancy down beanie.

I used a 20 degree bag for the entire trail. Even with the snow in the Sierras and in Washington, I was fine, and I sleep cold.

Images

I am also planning a winter hike. I have a 40 degree bag and don't have the extra cash to buy another bag. I'm thinking of buying some fleece and making a liner for my bag. Should only cost around $7. I'll also pack some long johns incase it's a failure. Should get me through the night.

Images

I had a 32 degree ferrano bag it worked fairly well had to put on some extra layers higher up.ky

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    I am also planning a winter hike. I have a 40 degree bag and don't have the extra cash to buy another bag. I'm thinking of buying some fleece and making a liner for my bag. Should only cost around $7. I'll also pack some long johns incase it's a failure. Should get me through the night.
    I've done that though without the benefit of the fleece but added some isometrics I survived it and learned not to do that again

Rolled with a newish WM Highlite 35 * sleeping bag up to KM . Switched out there to a Marmot 15 * Helium for the Sierras up to Bridgeort(BP). I was tarping the whole way. I was in the front of the pack a little ahead of the main pack. At BP swapped back to the WM Highlite. Someplace in the last 400 miles or so went back with the Helium. If I had only one bag to roll with it would have been a 20 or 25* down bag adding a silkn liner if or when necessary.

A good 30F bag is the bare minimum and you'll likely be cold a few times so make sure you have extra clothing layers in the Sierra Nevada and Washington. A 20F bag would be better overall, but will be too warm a couple of nights along the way. There was one night I slept on top of my sleeping bag in my clothing instead. And never give in to the temptation to mail your sleeping bag ahead in Northern California when the weather is hot. It can suddenly turn cold as someone I know found out the hard way when they sent their sleeping bag to Ashland.

++ New Posts ++