WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Osprey Ather 60 fitting problem

I tried on this pack today at the local outfiter (the pack is great) He only had a large. I measured my back and according to the osprey website, I should wear a large, but just barely. I think I made the the large by an inch or two.

The fitting problem comes with the waist belt. I added weight to the pack and cinched the waist belt as tight as it could go. However, even with all the slacked cinched in, the wasitbelt wasn't super tight. I know I will lose weight on my trip and I like having a tighter waistbelt. Does this mean I should go w/ the medium???

I also picked up the Montrail Masai's They are awesome. Light, comfortable and tough.

Many but not all packs have interchangeable components in different sizes. Apparently Osprey is among the many that offer this feature. If the outfitter won't get you a smaller hip belt, check with osprey direct, or find a good store that stocks hipbelts in various sizes. Check this link for sizing info:
    http://www.ospreypacks.com/sizeandfit.htm

The osprey ather 60 hipbelt is sewn in. non-detachable.

2.17% and counting
    Images

RITBlake is right. The shoulder harness is swapable, but the hip belt is not.

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake
    It's the padding on the belt that's replaced to a smaller size. But you might want to try the medium.

They can also change the shoulder straps.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead
    It's the padding on the belt that's replaced to a smaller size. But you might want to try the medium.

The instructions for the pack says that the hipbelt has a hook and loop system that allows up to 4" of play in the hipbelt sizing system. However I don't think this applies to the Aether 60 because of the sewn in belt. too bad... the outfitter didnt have a medium! I tried to get someone from Osprey on the phone but I think they're closed for the day.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I owned the Aether 60 but have since sold it. Hiked with it from Harpers Ferry to S Egremont in 2003. I would have to say that if you're right at the edge it would be my suggestion to go for the medium. Given that the hip belt is non-removable, you really want a belt that is going to snug down and hold the weight on your hips. Otherwise you're going to end up shouldering the weight and being an unhappy camper.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I used the medium and almost had the thing fully sinched down by the end of my hike. Yeah, try the medium.

2.17% and counting
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead

I have an Aether 60 right in front of me and the the hip belt and the padding on the hip bet can not be changed with out tearing out stitches. I'm fairly certian that the 75 and the 90 do have changeable hip belts, but the 60 does not.

Osprey will sew you in a new belt "at an additional charge." I stopped asking at that point, shipping + sewing + 199 puts you in the most of the way to alot of other units price tag. This may have changed since 8/04.

I tried on this pack today at the local outfiter (the pack is great) He only had a large. I measured my back and according to the osprey website, I should wear a large, but just barely. I think I made the the large by an inch or two.

The fitting problem comes with the waist belt. I added weight to the pack and cinched the waist belt as tight as it could go. However, even with all the slacked cinched in, the wasitbelt wasn't super tight. I know I will lose weight on my trip and I like having a tighter waistbelt. Does this mean I should go w/ the medium???
    RITBlake,

I own an Osprey Aether 60 and have been very pleased with it. Regardless of how well it has performed for me, I would caution anyone against using it if the fit were not near exact. Neither the torso length or the waist belt girth are anything to compromise on. You are correct, you can expect to lose some heft in your midsection on a backpacking trip. If a medium size pack will legitimately fit your torso length then that may be a solution, but don't compromise on that simply to get a waist belt that fits. As others have mentioned, Osprey will change the hipbelt for you...I believe I have heard something about a $40 charge for this service.

I own the pack. I think it great. But fit is more important.

Mea Culpa

Images

I work at an outfitter, so curse and flame me all you want, but as a general rule - if you are between sizes in a pack, go with the smaller size. The Aether 60 has a sewn in belt on this years model. I've heard that the Aether and Aeriel packs are going to be redone for next spring and will have the custom heat molded belts similar to the ones that Osprey introduced on the Crescent and Luna packs this spring.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckRye
    I work at an outfitter, so curse and flame me all you want, but as a general rule - if you are between sizes in a pack, go with the smaller size. The Aether 60 has a sewn in belt on this years model. I've heard that the Aether and Aeriel packs are going to be redone for next spring and will have the custom heat molded belts similar to the ones that Osprey introduced on the Crescent and Luna packs this spring.
    Stephen in Product Developement @ Opsrey confirmed what you've heard, RedneckRye. He said we should see it in stores by Jan/Feb 06,, & that it should only add a few oz's to the current weight of the Aether/Ariel.

I have the Aether 75 med and I love the pack. It's alittle too big really unless your carrying "a lot of stuff". If you concider being any sort of "ultra light" (as I am) get the 60. the 75 just has more room than I have stuff to carry or need. If your out a week then ok but I probly need a 60 but I didn't know it did not have the change able belts. They offer the molded belt on the 75 maybe you could get the 75 small. If the 60 offers a molded belt next yr then I'll be getting one.
    Last edited by Bolivershagnasty; 06-09-2005 at 19:55.

Default htis is a sign

The instructions for the pack says that the hipbelt has a hook and loop system that allows up to 4" of play in the hipbelt sizing system. However I don't think this applies to the Aether 60 because of the sewn in belt. too bad... the outfitter didnt have a medium! I tried to get someone from Osprey on the phone but I think they're closed for the day.
    call me superstitious,
    i would be willing to bet that not being able to get them on the phone is a sign for, stay away from the pack. the outfitter not having a medium, stay away from the pack. the sewn in hip belt, stay away from the pack.
    call me superstitious.
    chris

++ New Posts ++