WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Starting the trail alone at a young age can be daunting, but it's really exciting once you get there. I started a thru-hike this past summer at 18 as a solo male hiker. I started on June 23rd during all the fires and the temperature in Denver was 105F. I ran into multiple thru-hikers and spent some time hiking with most of them. I ended up hurting my back about a mile from the end of segment 5 by not stopping to rearrange my pack when something was digging into my back. After a 4 day rest in Breckenridge, I tried to continue with segment 7, but my back was a no-go and I ended up turning around and bailing back at Breckenridge. I still haven't decided whether or not I'm coming back this Summer to have another go at it, so I don't know about partnering up, but you can PM me if you have any questions about planning or what the experience is like from a young hiker's perspective. Barring any weather oddities like this past Summer (heatwave - little water in the first few segments), I believe mid to late June is the best time to start the trail as long as the snow has melted. That's when the seasonal streams are most likely to be active and the bugs and monsoonal storms are not as bothersome.

Images

I haven't decided what my summer hike will be... I will be in Peru for a good portion of the Spring and am debating between the IAT, Pacific Northwest Trail, Florida Trail (though nobody seems to suggest it as a Summer hike... naturally), and lastly your Colorado trail...

When I hiked the AT I did about a 300 mile section with a few 60 year old women... (oddly enough they were great company) ... I suppose there may not be much in common between 60 year old women and a 20 year old gal... but I am pretty open minded...

I have been known to attracted rabid animals... which is something I feel like I should disclose before we are hightailing it away from a 400 lb grizzly bear frothing at the mouth...

I can solo hike, hike with a pack of grannies, or somewhere in between... don't matter to me!
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

My brother and I will be starting the trail sometime near the end of July. I'm 21 and he's 19.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I don't think she's interested in a ride to Georgia since this thread is about the Colorado Trail.
    Good point! that is not really clear from the "what's new" page or any page for that matter because of the MOUNTAIN SYMBOL.
    I decided to take the Greyhound anyway at this point. Thanks for looking out VERY FUNNY MISTAKE.......

Hey Alexandra,
    My name is Shayna (P.C.) and I will be hiking the CT with my friend Kara (Ros). We should be starting in early July. Funny enough, we are from Michigan as well. So if you don't mind talking with 2 MSU Alums, we'd love to chat with you about the trail Happy planning!

Quote Originally Posted by slpierce39 View Post
    Hey Alexandra,
    My name is Shayna (P.C.) and I will be hiking the CT with my friend Kara (Ros). We should be starting in early July. Funny enough, we are from Michigan as well. So if you don't mind talking with 2 MSU Alums, we'd love to chat with you about the trail Happy planning!

Interesting. I'm a grad student at U of M and also thinking about doing the CT this summer. Probably starting late June to early July. I did an AT thru a few years back, and I'm a pretty fast hiker, so I'm probably not the best hiking companion (I'm looking at doing the trail in somewhere in the 17-20 day range). But, if yall live anywhere near A2, I'd love to chat about plans and share any knowledge. You don't meet too many people in Michigan who are excited about long-distance hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Thunderbird View Post
    (I'm looking at doing the trail in somewhere in the 17-20 day range). .
    ????.............................

It's interesting the number of Michigan posters who are planning on hiking in Colorado. There's a nice stretch of the North Country Trail that runs through Michigan.

Perhaps they've already hiked it?
    Fred Coulter

My Hikes
    Working on the Florida Trailwalker program: 9 down; 1 to go

Images

Alexandra, I'm starting August 1st. planning on about 35 days or so - I have a (male) hiking partner, but you are welcome to tag along with us. There are quite a few people starting right on or about August 1st that I know of, starting about 10 - 12 miles/ day maybe as much as 15 - 17 per day. we are headed Denver to Durango, and plan on doing the newer Collegiate West route.

Quote Originally Posted by fcoulter View Post
    It's interesting the number of Michigan posters who are planning on hiking in Colorado. There's a nice stretch of the North Country Trail that runs through Michigan.

Perhaps they've already hiked it?
    Perhaps they'd rather not deal with the northwoods mosquitoes and/or they'd like to save the North Country Trail for the Fall.

BTW after my Superior Trail hike in Sept-Oct of '11, I spent some time in No. Michigan and marveled at the beauty and setting of the North Country Trail on the UP. I'd like to return and hike parts of it some day....in the Fall.

I would just make sure you don't rely on your partner for shelter or any of that sort of stuff. Always beware of Military men, I once was one and know how they roll. But each person is their own and we should trust in the love of one another.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++