WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How much parachute cord do you carry?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default How much 'chute cord?

How much parachute cord do you carry on a hike? Include bear bagging cord plus any additional.
    Last edited by DebW; 03-04-2004 at 07:39.

Easyhiker

Default Good Poll Deb

I had 50 thought it was to much, cut it to 25 and at times didn't have enough so i'd go with about 35'.

Images

I use about 40'. It's good for bagging and I still have some to cut off for other uses.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

In bear country I bring 50', which provides me with sufficient options for hanging my food bag when that perfect branch doesn't materialize as the sun is going down. Otherwise, I get by with about 25'.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

We brought thirty, and used about 5 feet to create extra guylines for the tent every now and then, but aside from 3 or 4 times, we never used it; a few times as a bear bag line and then once to strap 6 liters of water to our pack to get to a campsite with no water. Otherwise, even what we had was overkill, but it always felt good to have too much rather than not enough..........
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Images

I'm always 5' short. I need to find trees closer together.

GAME 2000
    Images

50 feet is what I use. Longer lengths tend to be harder to manage and shorter lengths limit the available tree limbs. It is a personal choice with no right or wrong answers...unless you don't have enough to properly hang your food bag. If a bear isn't after your food, you don't have to hang it very high. How much does the cord weigh?

Youngblood

Images

For awhile I was carrying a 60 ft piece of cord and a 50 ft piece of cord. I would use the longer cord to span 2 trees and then hang my food from a 'biner in the middle with the other cord. I could get really good high placements this way, and didn't scar the trees because the long horizontal span was tensioned without weight on it. Lately I've been using one 50 ft. piece and a bagging technique that involves throwing over only one branch (near the trunk for strength), then tying one end to a biner, clipping that over the middle of the rope, and hanging the food on the biner. This way the food bags lift higher as you pull on the rope, and are not near the tree trunk when you tie off to another tree as high as you can reach. I think I can cut the cord down to 40 feet with this technique. But I'll bring an extra 15 ft. for misc. uses (like pitching a tent on a platform, drying clothes, replacing broken shoelaces, etc.)

Journal Entries
    Images

Default cord..

i carry approx. 50ft (purchased from my local outfitter store) & have "chopped off" a few feet here & there when needed.

still have approx 40 ft. i will carry on the 2004 section-hikes.

see ya'll up the trail in 2004!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Default Parachute cord

I carry about 40 feet. There have been a couple of times when I wished for more, but most of the time I have plenty.

Images

I carry 45ft, with the guts taken out. Helps to reduce the bult somewhat, and allows me to carry 2 stoves, 2 bandanas, windscreen, and the cord in my gatorade mug.

Brian
    Future Thru Hiker 2013

Images

I usually carry a 30' peice of para cord but Im making a hiking staff out of a peice of bamboo and I used a 20' peice of cord to make a handle grip so now Ill be carrying 50' if I need it. The cord works great as a handle grip and its multipurpose to boot! Streamweaver
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Chute Cord

Actually ...chute cord is a little on the heavy side, unless you plan to hang several food bags on one line at night. You can get a 50 ft length of 1/8" nylon pretty cheaply and that will get you all the way from Springer to Katahdin.

Like some others have already said ...50 feet of any cord might be too much. I ended up cutting my 50 footer in half and put half of it in my bounce box.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Default 1/8 inch cord??

I carry a few short pieces of 1/8 for tarp guy lines but use 1/4 parachute for food bags and to create a ridge line for the tarp. I can't imagine how hard it would be on my hand to hoist a food bag with the 1/8 line. The small line is especially difficult to untie if pulled super tight or frozen. The 1/4 inch line is generally easy to undo with the aid of the awl on my knife even if frozen hard, and the knots are easier to get your fingers on.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Default Lighter and more knot friendly answer

Replaced all my chute cord w/ 2mm hammer cord two years age. Did this initially to cut 5 oz to 1.5 for 50 feet. then the bonuses started. It is more flexible. It packs smaller by 2/3ds. It has better night vis (marginal, depending on color). Slip knot based tauntline and other hitches always pull out with a single tug. Cut my bear bag cord to 32 ft and a single piece secures both the bear bag and "rock" bag by tying bowlines around the common central running portion. Wears great. Only drawback is moderate cost.
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Default What is hammer cord?

. . . and where do you get it? Sounds like great stuff. Thanks for the tip, peter pan.

Images

Default Small line cuts/injures tree limbs

Quote Originally Posted by bobgessner57
    I carry a few short pieces of 1/8 for tarp guy lines but use 1/4 parachute for food bags and to create a ridge line for the tarp. I can't imagine how hard it would be on my hand to hoist a food bag with the 1/8 line. ...
    Also, using small cord for bear bagging can have the unfortunate and unintended and unseen side effect of cutting through the bark of a tree limb, weakening or eventually killing the limb.

I suppose one could always pull the bag up very slowly to avoid that?

Rain Man

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

your right Rain man the very small diameter cord cuts into the tree bark and injures the limb..
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Check out the latest article on www.backpackinglight.com about bear bagging techniques. While methods discussed are probably a bit of an overkill in some areas along the AT. The "PCT Method" is quite interesting as you only 40' of cord to properly bear bag your food 15'-20' off of the ground.

Here is the direct link.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

I started out with 50 feet a long time ago but now I am down to 40 feet. The missing 10 feet has been used for all types of emergency repair and trail use so do not leave home without it.
    Life is good on the trail...Swamp Dawg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++