WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Cup

Cool Coffee Cup

I got to have my coffee when on the trail but what king of cup i was thinking about a double wall but most of them are petty heavy. I would like one that will keep the coffee hot for 3 to 5 hours. i am gone to start in feb.

Quote Originally Posted by bishopj View Post
    I got to have my coffee when on the trail but what king of cup i was thinking about a double wall but most of them are petty heavy. I would like one that will keep the coffee hot for 3 to 5 hours. i am gone to start in feb.
    sorry spell cup wrong hit the worng key

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

3 to 5 hours in a cup? Are you looking for a thermos-type contraption or are you thinking of a cup that will let you enjoy the coffee a bit longer in camp?
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

in feb, ok, about 5 minutes after you turn the heat off, give up the idea of hot coffee... you wanna spend money on a thermos go ahead. there is a box at neels gap for that sort of thing.

I think it would be more practical to cook up another cup. I often keep coffee- candies in a pocket or backpack... they can give me a caffeine boost at work or at play.

3-5 hours? Are you hiking or camping?

[QUOTE=bishopj;1372254]
    I'm glad you cleared that up, because I thought you misspelled, Coup.

3 to 5 hours in a cup is not a realistic idea in Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I'm glad you cleared that up, because I thought you misspelled, Coup.
    All fixed.

I don't think you'll find a cup to do that. I have a pint thermos that I carry tea in during the winter. It stays warm for the time you have specified. It weighs 12 oz though. It's nice at break time but you may find it too heavy.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post

All fixed.

I don't think you'll find a cup to do that. I have a pint thermos that I carry tea in during the winter. It stays warm for the time you have specified. It weighs 12oz though. It's nice at break time but you may find it too heavy.
    I will be hikeing and fixing a cup before breaking camp and a cup after setup up camp
    Last edited by Alligator; 12-13-2012 at 15:16. Reason: fixed formating and weight was slightly off

USGI 10 oz melamine cup (The ugly, indestructible brown ones.)

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I'm still a little confused but if I understand you right, you're saying that you'll be drinking the coffee before you break up camp and then again after you set it up. You might want to consider a standard cup with a cozy and another cozy for your pot if you want to keep extra coffee on standby while you break camp/after you settle in. Is that more like what you're thinking? Just trying to figure out what you're after so we can give you good advice.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Out of curiosity about weights I did a quick look for titanium double wall cups, some are listed here. If you put a cozy on it like FarmerChef mentioned it might work for you. No handles nor lids on those linked though others have them. I had given thought to one of these myself a year or two ago but you can't cook in the double walled ones.

I normally brew two cups of tea in the morning in a pot. I transfer half to a ti sierra cup. In the spring and fall, I will leave the pot in its cozy to keep the other half warm. (Unnecessary in summer and as mentioned in winter I often bring the thermos.) This works for me but it is not sitting there for longer than an hour. I also use the single wall ti cup to make cider and hot chocolate.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

After trying several cups a friend got a Sea to Summit insulated cup.Capacity is 12ozs and it had a nice sippy cover.The only problem is that it costs 15-20$.I searched a little and found the GSI Infinity cup.It is some type plastic(BPA free)has a removable insulating sleeve and a nice sippy cover.Depending on the air temperature it keeps hot drinks warm for a while and only cost about 6$.....

Images

My wife has a plastic insulated mug with a lid. It'll keep her coffee hot for maybe an hour. She likes to have her coffee made as soon as she gets up, then sip on it while we eat breakfast and break camp. Then the mug gets put away for hiking. An hour is plenty for this. And the lid is key to avoid knocking it over and spilling all that wonderful coffee.

Me, I make my coffee in my regular pot/mug thing, and just drink it really fast.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

The reason a Thermos can hold heat is insulation and it's air tight. Even if the cup is well insulated the sipping hole is going to allow cold air in. The insulated urn you see at the gas station have a lot of insulation to compensate for the 1/8" air hole. As good as they are these urns will only keep coffee hot for about 2 hours while a real Thermos keep coffee hot for 10+ hours. Best to drink your coffee fast.

Instead of a thermos-style or double-walled cup, just make a foam cozy for your favorite titanium cup. That way you can make your cup of joe, keep it hot in the cozy, and if you forget it too long, you can take it out of the cozy and put it back on your stove for a few seconds to heat up. Double-walled cups aren't designed to be used on a stove, and if they are welded together all the way around without a pressure equalizing device (usually just a small hole in the the outer wall), you could end up with an explosion. A straight-sided cup is preferable to a cup with slanted walls as far as making a cozy is concerned, and it might be easier to pack as well. My 40 oz. Klean Canteen fits inside of my Snow Peak 750 mm. ti cup.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

In camp you could try a single wall with a lid and wind screen and a tealight underneath it.
    Use a cozy when hiking, like a wool sock maybe.

Journal Entries

Thermos makes a good ~20 oz vacuum-bottle stainless travel cup/mug. It works to keep small amt hot for several hrs, ~$25.

No you shouldnt bring it, weighs too much.

Backpacking light, feels so right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++