WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Wool/Cotton Socks?

I made the mistake of buying wool socks online without being able to see the exact materials they were made of. I obviously know cotton is a no-no when backpacking, which concerns me because the socks are 60% merino wool, 18% cotton, 15% polyester, 7% elastic. I was planning on using them in possibly temps that could potentially get below freezing and may be wet. Is the 18% cotton make these a bad idea for backpacking/hiking? Thanks guys
    -Sonic

My advise is to NOT use them! Purchase either: Darn Tough, Smart Wool, or Fox River (in that order). Darn Tough cost more, but they last longer. Smart Wool are great.... Fox River are less, but they "pill."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sweaty yetti View Post
    I made the mistake of buying wool socks online without being able to see the exact materials they were made of. I obviously know cotton is a no-no when backpacking, which concerns me because the socks are 60% merino wool, 18% cotton, 15% polyester, 7% elastic. I was planning on using them in possibly temps that could potentially get below freezing and may be wet. Is the 18% cotton make these a bad idea for backpacking/hiking? Thanks guys
    -Sonic
    DARN TOUGH SOCKS!...enough said. I'm sitting here with a pair on right now I sell Smart Wool and DT at my store but I always recommend DT when people are gonna beat them up in the back country. They're made very well in Vermont and have a lifetime warranty so you can get them replaced whenever they get worn down! The only drawback is there are far fewer selection of different cushioning levels like with Smart Wool. Either way tho those are both great choices

Journal Entries
    Images

I have moved on from Smart Wool - At the end of hunting season WallyWorld has a sale and I replace them yearly.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

-Sonic
    Return them. Or save them for light day hiking and around town.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Cotton is a four letter word on WB.

I obviously know cotton is a no-no when backpacking
    For shirts I would agree. When I stopped wearing "hiking" socks and started wearing Wal Mart 6 to a pack cotton socks my blistering problems went away. If it has "wool" in the name I avoid it like the plague.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I use Darn Tough socks now, but for most of the AT I wore cotton socks and they worked fine. None of us can say for sure what will work best for you, but if it were me I would go ahead and try out those socks.

Images

Here's the thing... merino wool in and of itself is not usually the most durable fiber for socks. It makes great socks, that are soft, comfortable, warm and moisture wicking. But, there is the issue of how durable the wool will be. It is very normal to add other fibers to wool to increase the longevity. Today nylon is most often what is added, but even with the added cotton, enough is there to add that duribility without compromising the benefits of the wool.

My opinion is that there are better modern fibers to use, but a cotton content wouldnt worry me.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Those 18%-cotton socks aren't going to kill you, not unless you happen to choke on one of them

There's not enough cotton in the socks to be too concerned. Try them out and see if they work for you.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Images

doesnt matter cotton, wool. its what makes your feet sweat the least. your feet get wet from sweating.years ago i did away with liners altogether, and now im using darn tough wolls, the best hiking socks ive owned.i find thinner socks work better for me.
    do not be afraid 18% cotton is okay.17% would be better

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I have moved on from Smart Wool - At the end of hunting season WallyWorld has a sale and I replace them yearly.
    Me, too, but I've moved on to Darn Tough. No regets.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    My advise is to NOT use them! Purchase either: Darn Tough, Smart Wool, or Fox River (in that order). Darn Tough cost more, but they last longer. Smart Wool are great.... Fox River are less, but they "pill."
    I say, +1 on this statement.

i use liners - ive used alot of different socks over them -more into the wool heavy expensive types from gear stores. there are a few things like poly. long john's and good socks you dont skimp on "you get what you pay for"

++ New Posts ++