WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wide-brim Hat

Default Wide-brim Hat

As a wannabe thru hiker at age 67, just successfully completed my 4th Mohs surgery for skin cancer - face and neck. My dermatologist said sunblock for nose and wide-brimmed hat for ears and neck. Seeking recommendations for preferred hat.
    Second un-related question: when encountering over-crowded shelter, is there a protocol for securing tent sites in the vicinity; and do the tent sites disappear, as well?

Journal Entries
    Images

The problem here is style in Australia where just about everyone needs a hat as the sun is brutal... try these brands

Tilley
    Dorfman http://www.rei.com/product/631470/do...-crushable-hat
    Outdoor Research http://www.rei.com/product/745932/ou...rch-helios-hat
    Aussie http://www.australiangear.com/mens.html
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I use the OR hat woo listed, but if I had surgery for skin cancer I'd go with Sunday Afternoons, http://www.sundayafternoons.com/men/derma-safe-hat.html
    Be especially careful with sunscreen on above tree line hiking or hiking on snow in summer at high altitude (i.e., PCT or colorado).

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JetLag View Post
    As a wannabe thru hiker at age 67, just successfully completed my 4th Mohs surgery for skin cancer - face and neck. My dermatologist said sunblock for nose and wide-brimmed hat for ears and neck. Seeking recommendations for preferred hat.
    Second un-related question: when encountering over-crowded shelter, is there a protocol for securing tent sites in the vicinity; and do the tent sites disappear, as well?
    Check out the Tilley Endurables Model LTM6IS. This hat has a built in bug repellent, neck protection hidden in the brim, and if you ever loose it, they will replace it free.

http://www.amazon.com/Tilley-Endurab...6is+airflo+hat

I'm 69 and have your problem. I recommend this hat.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Images

I don't have a hat recommendation, but you might want to put your second question into its own thread so you get some feedback on that, too!

(Actually, I have an OR sombrero that I like, but it's too heavy for a thru.)

The Tilley is a wonderful hat very durable, hence the reason for their warranty. I have owned a Dorfman for about 6 years and it still looks like new, very light and comfortable, a friend has had a Tilley even longer and it still looks great also. I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

This time of year, I use an orange brimmed hat from Cabela's.

make sure your wide brimmed hat doesn't run into your pack. if you got a small pack then all is good, but you might need a desert style hat.

My dermatologist also admonished me to wear a good sun hat. I have had great success with the Outdoor Research "Sombriolet" hat. It is waterproof, floats and has excellent UV sun protection. The wide brim is also very useful for keeping rain out of your face. I have even carried water in it before. On the negative side, a wide brim catches the wind. There is an adjustable chin strap to prevent losing the hat in the wind. The brim is not too conducive to molding into cool shapes but that would defeat the purpose of protection. I recommend it! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o09_s00_i00
    Last edited by Prop Blast; 12-15-2012 at 19:06.

Journal Entries
    Images

does anyone know which one had the magnet on the brim that holds the brim up to the side of the hat?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Kavu Shilba hat is a very good choice. It looks funny, but read the reviews:

http://www.backcountry.com/kavu-chillba-hat

Journal Entries
    Images

Go with the Tilley

I have the Barmah and the Tilly. Always wearing one of them.
    Tilley advertises that an elephant trainer had his hat eaten by his elephant three times.
    Each time he waited for it to come out the other end.
    Each time when cleaned up, it was good as new.

http://www.australiangear.com/barmah...s-squashy.html
    http://www.australiangear.com/mens/t...t-natural.html

I prefer the good old boonie hat. For extra sun protection, I will take a rectangle of silk and tuck it in the back so that it hangs down and covers my neck. I also use lots of sunscreen on my face.

Yep, boonie hat. Tilley's are for bird watchers and kayaker.

When I was in search of what I hoped would be the perfect hat I settled on this Blue Chair Bay hat. It has mesh sides and neck cover. As it turns out I never wear hats. I'm hanging on to it though. I kind of like it. I'm not sure where to find my particular model anymore. It's a version of a boonie hat.

sailing_hat_with_sun_shield_blue_chair_bay.jpgsailing_hat_with_sun_shield_blue_chair_bay_flap.jpg

EDIT: I googled "boony hat neck flap" and found a very similar hat to mine.
    http://www.amazon.com/JFH-Group-Safa...ef=pd_sbs_a_28
    Last edited by perrymk; 12-16-2012 at 09:42.

I wear a Tilley --- forget which model -- on all outdoor adventures. Mine has been to the top of Kilimanjaro, the length of the AT, through the Negev desert, and many other places. When it gets dirty I throw it in the washer and it comes out looking like new.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joshuasdad View Post
    This time of year, I use an orange brimmed hat from Cabela's.
    Must be all the deer hunting in downtown Alexandria?
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

How do the Tilleys hold up to rain? Reviews I've found saw that the brim often loses form when it gets wet. I really like wearing a hat in the rain, but my rain hat is a bit uncomfortable to also use as a sun hat.

I'm as bald as a cue ball. Not only do I need a hat for shade but need a hat that will keep the rain and sweat from running directly into my eyes. Spent some time in rainy climates compliments of Uncle Sam and was a boonie hat wearer for years. For a boonie hat to be truly waterproof it has to be mutilayered and it won't "breath". Tilley makes a model TWP2 that is totally waterproof...even seam sealed and has a vent in the back that you can just reach back and open and vents well. The brim is stiff enough that it stays in place even in a strong wind. They are expensive but come with a lifetime gaurantee. They replace free even if you lose it. Also has a nice sweatband in it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++