WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wide-brim Hat

Yeah, free. . . 50% deductable.

Images

I have the Tilley T4IS,
    Have not hiked in it yet but I've used it on a few
    camping trips and the bugs definitely don't like the Insect Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosaphone View Post
    How do the Tilleys hold up to rain? Reviews I've found saw that the brim often loses form when it gets wet.
    Not that I ever noticed. I especially like wearing my Tilley in the rain as it is so much more comfortable than wearing a rain jacket hood. I always found hoods too hot, and all I can hear is the hood rustling on my head. Also the brim of my Tilley keeps my glasses dry unless it is blowing really hard.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    I especially like wearing my Tilley in the rain as it is so much more comfortable than wearing a rain jacket hood.
    Yeah, agreed. I found my Tilley (hemp model) can handle a moderate-to-heavy rain without my head getting soaked. Yes, the hat gets wet, and so does my head, but not in a bad way. When it's raining *really* hard, then I start feeling drips coming through the seams on top of the hat. That can be a little annoying.

The Tilley brim generally stays in place except in very hard wind. Better than my Seattle Sombrero, in particular -- that thing flaps up and is useless in a mild breeze. (Don't they get any wind in Seattle?)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by DeerPath View Post
    Must be all the deer hunting in downtown Alexandria?
    Actually we have quite a deer population in the West End of Alexandria -- bowhunting only I believe. Wish I was wearing that orange hat a few weeks ago when I came upon two grim-faced gun-toting hunters on the trail a couple weeks back (I often take it off for climbs--too hot).

I have had a Tilley T-3 for several years now and it works great. I also was told by my dermatologist to get a wide brimmed hat and use sunscreen (a result of spending my summers of my youth as a lifeguard). I have no complaints on this hat and it still appears to be in a new condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    Not that I ever noticed. I especially like wearing my Tilley in the rain as it is so much more comfortable than wearing a rain jacket hood. I always found hoods too hot, and all I can hear is the hood rustling on my head. Also the brim of my Tilley keeps my glasses dry unless it is blowing really hard.
    I'm the same. A good hat makes hiking in the rain 500% more enjoyable. I like hearing the rain among the trees. When you put a hood up all you hear is WHAPWHAPWHAPWHAPWHAP of raindrops hitting the hood.

I don't think I would care so much about a hat being completely waterproof unless it's a very cold rain.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thread Resurrection: Hats like most of these are overpriced fashion statements(IMHO). Go look at SunBody.com hats. However, any opaqe hat will work except rain proof, all day?? You ARE gonna get wet.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I wear a Tilley out west. I just wear a ball cap on the AT, but I don't have your Med Hx.

The Tilley has performed very well in wind and rain. I just prefer a ball cap when I can. I will be using a lot of sunscreen next week for the start of my thru. Until we have leaves the sun could be nasty.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

duluth trading makes a collapseable wide brimmed hat that is awesome....springs back to shape even after being stuffed in a pack....www.duluthtrading.com

Journal Entries
    Images

Good luck and blessings to YOU ChinMusic. Have a great time.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I think you'll find that there is a lot less sun than you expect on a NOBO AT thru-hike.
    OK, Chin Music is right that until the leaves are out, you will experience some.
    But, it's called "the green tunnel" by many for a reason.
    (PCT, or CDT hike of course is much different in this regard)
    A ball cap with a handkerchief pinned to the back will suffice.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I have a Tilley which works great in the sun or the rain but the brim has problems folding in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    Good luck and blessings to YOU ChinMusic. Have a great time.
    plus...1.....

I'll be the heretic. Welcome to the club. When my dad developed skin cancer on his nose and left ear, I bought him a hat from Watership Trading in Bellingham, WA. The lightest weight, widest brim hat I could find to protect him in Lafayette, LA.
    Fast forward a few years. Same condition strikes me. Carcenoma and melanoma. I bought the same hat that I had purchased for dad. i also bought SPF 50 long sleeve fishing shirts from Columbia & SPF 50 lightweight pants from Mountain Hardware.
    Sure, I'm a fashion slave. I have a reputation to uphold. I also plan to keep me alive. Watership hats work. finding them may be a problem. as far as I know, still made in the USA.

Wayne

go to sungrubbies.com and check out the "santa cruz" hat. i have one and love it!

Images

Another vote for Tilley. I have used a number of hats (of course, I am Red Hat)... from Columbia and a number of ORs. I liked most of them, but coveted a Tilley. Unfortunately Tilley's don't come in red (with the exception of one rain hat)... Well, I finally got a natural Tilley and love it! I don't care if folks ask me where my red hat is, this is the best hat ever! I can be "Red Hat" without wearing one... it's all in the attitude.

I have been using a Tilley T3 for the past few years and have been very satisfied with it. Light weight and it does block the sun. I would definitely recommend it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++