WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hostel Process

Default Hostel Process

In reading several of the hiker journals, I've become a bit confused about exactly how the process works for gaining access to the hiker hostels. I was sort of under the impression that (like the shelters) they were first come first serve; BUT on a few of the journals it appears that folks with cell phones call in to make reservations? My question is this: are old farts, like me who don't carry a cell phone, at a disadvantage to the phone crowd when it comes to getting space at a hostel??? Curious.

Depends on the hostel. The only one I remember calling ahead for was Green Mountain House in Manchester Center, VT.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Doesn't hurt to call, especially if the number is in the guide book.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

I ain't got a cell phone neither and, yes, you can get hosed by people behind you who call ahead, but it's rare.

Journal Entries

Many hostels cater to all hikers, not just thru hikers. Other hikers may use them to start/end their hikes , usually in conjunction with their shuttle services too. All Im sayin is its not just thru hikers behind you that you have to worry about.

Hostels which are either far enough off the trail that you really need a ride to get to or have very limited capacity are the ones who like for you to call ahead. There are only a few of these that I know of. But more often then not you'll be in a group or with someone with a phone.

But a $10 phone and $20 phone card is cheap insurance and can be handy to have once in a while.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

In the south, where this is most likely to be an issue, there are usually other options for places to stay. i.e. at Neels Gap you can stay at the cabins next door. Some places will allow you to shower (for a fee perhaps) and camp on the lawn if they are full. Or you can always resupply and move on and camp in the woods. It isn't that big a deal.

A lot of places will let you camp in their yard for a smaller fee. It they are full that is an option. You still get to use their facilities and if they allow alcohol then it is probably preferable to camp in the back corner away from the party. But you should get a cheap prepaid cell phone, they are very handy.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You can pick up a tracfone or something similar easily. It's a good idea to take along anyway for emergencies. Good also to call for shuttles. But several require reservations. Hiker Hostel, Hike Inn, I think Ron's does too.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Sometimes you call not for a reservation but for a ride to the hostel.

Having a cell phone is handy for lots of other situation too like:
    A medical emergency
    Need to contact the AT ranger to report a crime
    Call for a ride to town. Sometimes people will post numbers for rides in shelters or road crossings.
    Check weather reports
    Call home. I texted home almost every night (hey it kept me out of trouble with the wife!)
    Calling a gear supplier to request replacements for damaged equipment (gear maker's numbers are in the AT Guide)
    Call an outfitter to see if they have something you might need. No reason to get off the trail to an outfitter if they don't have the canister gas you need.
    Call your doctor so he can call the pharmacy in next town so your prescription for antibiotics for Lyme disease is ready when you get there. (don't ask how I know this

Go to Wally World and get yourself a cheap pre-paid phone, keep it off until you need it, and keep it in a plastic bag. It will be there when you need it.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Things may have changed but it seems to me most hostels are still first come, first serve and won't accept reservations. There are other place like the Green Mountain House, where space is limited and they request reservations.

If you can neither afford one, or don't want one, you can certainly hike the trail without a cell phone.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JetLag View Post
    In reading several of the hiker journals, I've become a bit confused about exactly how the process works for gaining access to the hiker hostels. I was sort of under the impression that (like the shelters) they were first come first serve; BUT on a few of the journals it appears that folks with cell phones call in to make reservations? My question is this: are old farts, like me who don't carry a cell phone, at a disadvantage to the phone crowd when it comes to getting space at a hostel??? Curious.
    yep........

'Specially at the beginning seems the hostels are full of folks who hike about 5 miles a day and quit by noon. Makes it tough for the rest of us.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JetLag View Post
    I think we are at a disadvantage, so I got the StraightTalk system from Walmart. I purchased the Samsung Galaxy SII phone which operates off AT&T towers. Unlimited phone, internet, text message for only $45.00 a month. Most hikers I know say AT&T has the best reception on the trail.
    Happy Trails
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cliffordbarnabus View Post
    I ain't got a cell phone neither and, yes, you can get hosed by people behind you who call ahead, but it's rare.
    How is it getting hosed? Is it getting hosed if someone makes a reservation at a hotel or restaurant before you decide to stay there or eat there?

Poor planning on your part does not equal getting hosed.

It's really easy to plan when you are makin' five miles a day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    It's really easy to plan when you are makin' five miles a day.
    Where do you hike where the hostels are within 5 miles of each other? If someone wants to hike 5 miles and hang out at a hostel the rest of the day, that's fine with me. I don't remember reading anywhere where hostels, shelters or campsites are reserved for people that like to hike big miles and long days.

The planning part comes in when you get up in the morning and look at your guide book and your food bag and say to yourself, looks like I need to stop at so and so hostel tonight, maybe I can ask that kid over there to borrow their cell phone, if you ask nice I have no doubt they will. That is of course unless you just got though giving them a lecture on why no one needs a cell phone on the trail

If someone decides they do not want to bring a cell phone, that's also fine with me, I respect their decision. But just like the guy that does not bring their own tent, or tarp, and finds the shelter full when it is raining, they are not getting hosed. You make your choices and live with the outcome.

You are likely to find everything full in popular spots like Damascus, Pearisburg, Hot Springs, Franklin, Haiwassee if you do not call ahead. This is especially true in bad weather. After the first couple of months it isn't that big a problem because the weather has improved and the crowd has been thinned out.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    You are likely to find everything full in popular spots like Damascus, Pearisburg, Hot Springs, Franklin, Haiwassee if you do not call ahead. This is especially true in bad weather. After the first couple of months it isn't that big a problem because the weather has improved and the crowd has been thinned out.
    Maybe. Maybe not. The only hostel I can remember calling ahead for is the Green Mountain House in Vermont, and then only because it clearly stated in the guidebook that reservations were required. Oh, and I called Pine Ellis in Andover, Maine a couple hours before I got to the trail-head to arrange for a shuttle.

It is certainly possible to arrive at a hostel to find it full, just as it is possible to arrive at a shelter and find it full. As a hiker you're prepared for that, right? You've got your house on your back after all.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Hiawassee, full, Franklin, full, Hot Springs, full, Gatlinburg, full, Pearisburg, full. Stayed in all those places and Pine Ellis and Green Mountain but called ahead after Hot Springs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++