WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Is camping allowed at shelters that are not identified as having camping?

The Thru-Hikers Companion identifies shelters and camping sites. Sometimes it says a location has a shelter, sometimes just camping, and sometimes both camping and a shelter. Does that men that camping is not allowed at shelters that don't specify camping?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Generally, you can camp wherever you want along the AT. The exceptions are restricted areas (NPS units, the Whites , certain parts of VT and other places). The guidebooks state where there is restricted camping.

When you see camping listed in the guidebooks it is just making note of a known camping spot. As long as there are no restrictions in place, you can camp where you want, though.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Back in 79' when I was headed sobo in to Hot Springs,I walked late into the evening and the only level spot was the trail footway itself near Pump Gap.So I slept right on the trail.Was suprised next AM with a large buck walking only a few feet from me.....

Images

You could go straight to the horse's mouth, and ask the people who publish the Thru-Hikers Companion, exactly what they mean.

Maybe to them it's clear, but they don't realize it's confusing to the ordinary hiker and would like to fix it?

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Some shelters have designated tenting sites or tent platforms because of the terrain the shelter is located at. There are a few shelters where tenting in that general area is simply not practical, but these are few. Most shelters have tenting available near-by.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If it doesn't say shelter, you'll probably have to provide your own. Some areas around shelters shouldn't have tent camping, ie: GSMNP and a few others. Sometimes the folks writing the guides could just be high. You'll figure it out.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

It all depends on the shelter site. Some sites are not big enough for camping next to the shelters, or the ground is fragile soil or to rocky/rooted. In TN/NC section, Bald Mountain shelter has fragile soil around the shelter and camping is only permit .5 miles to the north. And at Mountaineer Falls Shelter, there is absolutely no room for camping. You have to camp about .25 miles to the south.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Thanks Folks. I'll be winging it starting in March.

Generally, and hopefully within LNT guidelines, camping is allowed practically anywhere on the AT. Some notable exceptions would in GSMNP along the trail or at the shelters unless full, within 200 feet of the trail in the SNP, in non-designated sites in Maryland, above treeline in the Whites, etc..

Although not noted, most shelters have camping, but for the most part only tent platforms are mentioned.

if you have a specific questions, I can probably be of more help

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    You could go straight to the horse's mouth, and ask the people who publish the Thru-Hikers Companion, exactly what they mean.

Maybe to them it's clear, but they don't realize it's confusing to the ordinary hiker and would like to fix it?
    Ummm, what's not clear?

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Sometimes the folks writing the guides could just be high. You'll figure it out.
    And how would he do that?

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Jakesdad1 View Post
    The Thru-Hikers Companion identifies shelters and camping sites. Sometimes it says a location has a shelter, sometimes just camping, and sometimes both camping and a shelter. Does that men that camping is not allowed at shelters that don't specify camping?
    I think what that notation is supposed to mean is that there are many good, reliable tentsites at shelters with camping specified, and few or no tentsites at the shelters without it. In practice, it's completely random. I have no idea how the Companion or AWOL's guide came up with that info, because it does not consistently reflect what you see in the woods. Some places with no camping indicated have a fantastic selection of tentsites (e.g. No Business Knob Shelter in TN, which has about 20 flat places to put a tent), and vice versa (Blackrock Hut in the Shenandoahs has the little tent symbol in the AWOL guide, but in reality had about two decent tentsites when I was there in 2011).

I realized early on that the info in the guidebooks re: camping at shelters had little bearing on reality. I would say that most shelters do have decent tenting available (and it's pretty much always allowed), and I operated on that assumption for the rest of my hike.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    As long as there are no restrictions in place, you can camp where you want, though.
    But please remember to LNT. Please don't make a new campsite.

You can camp wherever you want along the AT, but you should pay attention to the rules. Some areas are not allowed to make a fire in the wood. BTW, "shelters" means a shack for you to take a rest after hiking a long distance and it's not a good idea to stay there overnight. You should prepare your own tent and don't rely on the shelters on every trails.

This thread is 5 years old. The AWOL guide is very clear and easy to use. The info about the geography around the shelters presented here is all true but you will find tent sites usually located very close to those particular shelters. I usually set the site up then hike back to the shelter for dinner and social hour. You'll find your groove! And remember that by Fontana the crowds thin out a lot! And Welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Anderson View Post
    You can camp wherever you want along the AT, but you should pay attention to the rules. Some areas are not allowed to make a fire in the wood. BTW, "shelters" means a shack for you to take a rest after hiking a long distance and it's not a good idea to stay there overnight. You should prepare your own tent and don't rely on the shelters on every trails.
    Better pay attention to signs along the trail and ATC guidance information, there are several areas that do not allow dispersed camping and designated camping areas have to be used. CT and MA have this rule, as does GSMNP and a number of other parks and forest lands.

Rausch Gap Shelter, in PA is a bit of an odd ball. Camping is not supposed to be allowed in the vicinity of the shelter, as the PA State Game Lands camping rules are not met (proximity to the A.T. due to the length of side trail, and too close to water as unusually for PA, the spring is right there) at the shelter site, which was itself permitted under a different rule. You're supposed to go closer to the A.T. and the junction of the shelter side trail to be legal, apparently.

Images

BTW, "shelters" means a shack for you to take a rest after hiking a long distance and it's not a good idea to stay there overnight.

this aint correct.....

most shelters are built for overnight stays......

after all, they are a shelter....

Regardless of what the various guides might say... nine times out of ten, there will be camping sites near a shelter. (In this context, AMC huts in the White Mountains are definitely not shelters.)

Shelters are intended to concentrate camping, and it is a given that they will occasionally be full.

++ New Posts ++