WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Most bizarre sight

What was the most bizarre or incongruous sight you've seen on the AT?

For me, it was hiking along next to a circus train in Falls Village, CT. There were carnival rides and circus booths moving along beside us, and then the performers waving as they rode passed.

In GA there was another hiker whose "backpack" consisted of two large black plastic garbage bags tied together with rope. For water bottles, he had plastic liter-sized soda bottles, which now I understand is standard for the ultra-light crowd but then it was unique to me. There was something odd about his footwear, too, but I can't quite remember. I seem to recall he didn't wear fancy boots or even light trail runners but very plain-looking black-and-white sneakers like you would buy off the sale rack at Wal-Mart. After seeing so many hikers with all the name-brand, high-priced specialty gear, this hiker was really an unusual sight. I wasn't quite sure if he was a hiker or a transient, so I was reluctant to say anything other than "hello" to him. I do respect his ingenuity though...

Can I have a second most incongruous sight? On a very cold and rainy day with temps in the 40's I passed a group of hikers and one was barefoot. I immediately thought of the book "The Hobbit" by Tolkien because his feet were kinda big and hairy!
    "In the mountains, there you feel free." T.S. Eliot

Default Dance

In the middle of the the night I heard drums, not just a few but many and of different types. I got up and walked toward them. There was a large fire with about 50 people dancing around it in various states of undress. The drummers, about 40 of them, were kick ass good. I watched for a while, but felt uncomfortable just watching so I took off my smelly clothes and joined in. No one gave any indication that I did not belong. We danced all night. When the sun broke over a mountain we did a ritual to it. They gave me food, let me shower, and gave me a painted broomstick, a foam filled glove on the top with feathers and talisman. They said every year a thru comes into their circle but none had ever danced. That stick has brought me luck ever since. I don't expect many of you will believe this story, if they hadn't given me the stick I would'nt either. Remember if you hear the drums, make sure you dance.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Hiking south through Harriman State Park last June, my brother and I happened upon a young lady who had started from Delaware Water Gap a few weeks prior. She was lugging a huge yellow Tonka dumptruck in her hand that she had purchased at a flea market for her young cousin a few days earlier. She had tried to lash it to her pack, but it bounced too much. She only had another day until she got off the Trail and I didn't have the heart to suggest that she cache the truck by the side of a road and pick it up when she finished. I certainly hope that kid appreciates what she went through to buy him a new toy!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

The yellow Tonka truck was my vote for incongruous sight. Here's my bizarre sight.

On my second AT section hike in April of 1974 we started north out of Duncannon. A few days out, we came out of the woods onto what looked like your typical suburban cul de sac. We noticed that many of the houses had big holes punched in them, and that there were no people or animals around. The Trail went down the street, crossed a road, and re-entered the forest. We were wondering if there had been a war or something. We never did determine what happened there.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default you wont believe

years ago coming off of Roan Mtn and well after the old Cloudland hotel footing we happened along a delapidated truck and a man sitting beside it and a fire baking bisquites, he offered us one and the scouts and I gladly accepted....it was after the descent of the Roan that one of us puzzled over the fact that there was no road where the truck had been. Later that day we were passed by another hiking party and we asked them where they had started-same as us at Carvers Gap. Then we asked if they had seen the old truck and the man cooking bisquits.....they said what truck and what old man!
    This section is literally in my back yard. From where I am typing now Roan High Knob is 2.5 miles away (and 2600 feet). I have hiked Roan from 19e (up Hump Mountain-a thrill for the SOBO's) and from Carver's GAp in every direction. I have hiked this section in the heat, in the snow, in the rain and in winds that could rival Mt.Washington but I have never seen the old man again.
    And for those of you who kinda follow my exploits along the trail with my new girlfriend who has hiked two sections of the AT in NC let me tell you that I call the trail "The Teacher" when I reference it to Cathy. The AT has become mythical not only to me but to so many others. How many of you sit at home or your work desk and fantasize about hiking it, about walking it, about taking one step after another on it, about the endless wonderings of what is around the next corner?
    Can you tell I have had 1/2 bottle of wine.....well we hung 16 pieces of sheet rock today and began the finishing process.....
    The steam room is heating up and soon I will melt away the endless screws.
    Godbless
    Dachonkin------>Simva2020

Default You'll never guess what I saw...

I saw a black man hiking in VT!

I can't tell you how many hours I spent thinking of sociological reasons for why minorities don't thru hike. This guy started in Roanoke and was hiking with a huge, antique Airforce pack. Long enough thruhike to me. I actually asked him about the lack of other black hikers. He told me all the ones he knew turned around at the Mason Dixon. I can't tell you how many more hours I spent thinking of the sociological reasons for why minorities don't thruhike.
    Grimace ME->GA '01
    JMT '03

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default one oriental

while sectioning in Va. last fall I meet an oriental trail named 'squeeks no more', he was doing 20mile days and headed to Springer....dont know where he started but he was the first asian I had seen on the trail in 30 years of sectioning, very nice fellow and very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    What was the most bizarre or incongruous sight you've seen on the AT?
    incongruous?......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    incongruous?......
    The three walled cinder block shack seemed incongruous to the surroundings so the hiker avoided spending the night there.
    it is strange that a man would put the pieces together as they please opposed to being content with where the pieces fall

Congruous means the same as, or fits with. Incongruous means sticks out, doesn't fit in. Think the Sesame Street song: "One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
    I saw a black man hiking in VT!

I can't tell you how many hours I spent thinking of sociological reasons for why minorities don't thru hike. This guy started in Roanoke and was hiking with a huge, antique Airforce pack. Long enough thruhike to me. I actually asked him about the lack of other black hikers. He told me all the ones he knew turned around at the Mason Dixon. I can't tell you how many more hours I spent thinking of the sociological reasons for why minorities don't thruhike.
    We saw a one legged black man in Shenandoah, "Step & a Half" or "One Step"???, hiking a section.

Images

The Marlborough Man!

Quote Originally Posted by GGS2 View Post
    Congruous means the same as, or fits with. Incongruous means sticks out, doesn't fit in. Think the Sesame Street song: "One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong."
    If you have seen me on the trail then you have seen something incongruous!
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

First time I hiked in PA just happened to coincide with the first day of summer. I came around a curve to see a young man with very red hair carrying a baby blue guitar and nothing else. I'm still not sure if I should have asked to take his picture.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    years ago coming off of Roan Mtn and well after the old Cloudland hotel footing we happened along a delapidated truck and a man sitting beside it and a fire baking bisquites, he offered us one and the scouts and I gladly accepted....it was after the descent of the Roan that one of us puzzled over the fact that there was no road where the truck had been. Later that day we were passed by another hiking party and we asked them where they had started-same as us at Carvers Gap. Then we asked if they had seen the old truck and the man cooking bisquits.....they said what truck and what old man!
    This section is literally in my back yard. From where I am typing now Roan High Knob is 2.5 miles away (and 2600 feet). I have hiked Roan from 19e (up Hump Mountain-a thrill for the SOBO's) and from Carver's GAp in every direction. I have hiked this section in the heat, in the snow, in the rain and in winds that could rival Mt.Washington but I have never seen the old man again.
    And for those of you who kinda follow my exploits along the trail with my new girlfriend who has hiked two sections of the AT in NC let me tell you that I call the trail "The Teacher" when I reference it to Cathy. The AT has become mythical not only to me but to so many others. How many of you sit at home or your work desk and fantasize about hiking it, about walking it, about taking one step after another on it, about the endless wonderings of what is around the next corner?

Dachonkin------>Simva2020
    90% of my AT hikes have been in NC and i have spent a good bit of time up at Rhone and every time i go there always something weird, strange, etc that happens. the AT in NC is mystical i will agree.

we hiked the North face of Rhone and over to carvers gap on a few more miles, while coming back going down the north face we passed these senior citizens and one had just had knee surgery and was heading up the north face of Rhone. she still had a knee brace on. couldn't believe it

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    incongruous?......
    You resurrected an 8 year old thread to ask about grammar?

Strangest thing I ever saw was a grown man drinking kerosene.

Default Sweet Tooth

Quote Originally Posted by Disney View Post

Strangest thing I ever saw was a grown man drinking kerosene.
    It's not bad with honey or brown sugar either.

Images

Default bizarre

A hiker that made his backpack out of a Pampers box. He covered it with plastic shelf paper so it would not disinergrate in the rain and poked holes thru it with rope knotted on the inside for straps.
    He held onto his sleeping bag setting on top of it with one hand while hiking. His food was a large jar of peanut butter a 2 lb jar of jelly, and a loaf of bread.
    Met him at a shelter and figured he was nuts. Next day I was eating at a shelter 18 miles south when he came walking in - instant respect. I was shocked he covered the distance.

AT2000

On a day hike on Peters Mountain, I followed a peacock on the trail for half a mile all the way to the shelter.
    Yahtzee

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++