WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ride from Lancaster PA to Fontana Dam June 10 - 3 Amish Men

Last year during a section hike from Springer to Fontana Dam, I met three Amish men in their early 20s who were also section hiking. I have kept in touch with them. They would like to plan a section hike of the Smokys in June 2013. They need a ride from Lancaster PA area to somewhere near (within 2 hours) of Asheville NC on June 10. I live in the Asheville NC area and can pick them up anywhere within approx 2 hours of Asheville on June 10 and then take them to Fontana Dam. I plan on taking them back to Lancaster after their hike. They have limited resources and restricted to limited dates. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Are you trolling?
    I thought it was against their religion to use vehicles.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Hitch up the buggy Jedediah we're a goin' Haackin'!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Not in the least.

Although various sects differ somewhat, most Amish that I know readily accept rides. They do not OWN vehicles. Many of the businesses in PA are Amish owned. Hardware stores, IGA's, Laundramats, restaurants, etc.

Amish riding in cars, using a phone, using the internet, etc is not unusual. Owning these things is.

Images

I should have said, "owning for personal use", is unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Not in the least.

Although various sects differ somewhat, most Amish that I know readily accept rides. They do not OWN vehicles. Many of the businesses in PA are Amish owned. Hardware stores, IGA's, Laundramats, restaurants, etc.

Amish riding in cars, using a phone, using the internet, etc is not unusual. Owning these things is.
    They are also one of the biggest and worst offenders in the US as far as puppy mills . I spend a good amount of my free time working with rescue groups that are trying to educate / mitigate this problem and a large percentage of the dogs come from this source. Sorry, I am really not trying to hijack your thread, and I'll go away now, but I just don't understand these people at all. It seems very hypocritical to me.

Journal Entries

I have run into tour buses full of Amish people before, staying in the hotel I was.
    Kind of interesting, I wasnt expecting that.

Apparently all is good when on vacation.

Actually no they are not, as due to their Religion, among other issues. They may own businesses, as anyone can, but I am doubtful they own "many of the businesses in PA". Sadly however they do operate "puppy mills", as our former gov, had tried to outlaw, with mixed results. If you want a dog, make it a rescue dog, as if you choose them over "puppy mill" dogs, they will cease to be profit driven, and will someday HOPEFULLY cease to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Not in the least.

Images

Well, I lived and worked in Honeybrook, PA, about 10 or 15 miles east of Lancaster a couple of decades ago. In that tiny town, they did own the local IGA, as well as the Laundramat. I have been to an Amish owned hardware store that sold about any kind of power tool you would want, any kind of plumbing or electrical supplies. Yes, in this particular hardware the lighting was gas, but orders were wrung up on electronic cash registers and the phone rang and was answered regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Jim View Post
    Last year during a section hike from Springer to Fontana Dam, I met three Amish men in their early 20s who were also section hiking. I have kept in touch with them. They would like to plan a section hike of the Smokys in June 2013. They need a ride from Lancaster PA area to somewhere near (within 2 hours) of Asheville NC on June 10. I live in the Asheville NC area and can pick them up anywhere within approx 2 hours of Asheville on June 10 and then take them to Fontana Dam. I plan on taking them back to Lancaster after their hike. They have limited resources and restricted to limited dates. Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Thank you all for your comments. I can understand some of the concerns and ideas voiced.

My post was concerning a possible ride for three specific young men I met on the trail. After talking to them then and communications with them since, I believe they are sincere, courteous, people who love to hike. In hindsight, I probably should not have mentioned they were Amish. I can't comment on some of the references to Amish actions or beliefs, because I don't have full information on these. But I can tell you, that I met these guys on the trail, was impressed by their love of hiking and their sincere caring of other people, their total commitment to peace, and wanted to help them with their hike in 2013. I am willing to pick them up within 2 hours of Asheville on June 10 and I am driving them back to Lancaster after their hike.

Any ideas for a ride for 3 young men from Lancaster PA to within 2 hours of Asheville NC on June 10, 2013? Thanks!

Tell you what... I would be willing to get them to you within 2 hours of Asheville if someone could get them closer to Roanoke VA... it might have to be a joint effort here. Lancaster is 5 hours from me.

Images

Why not Amtak? They can get the train in Lancaster and take the train to the stations in Winston-Salem, Kannapolis, Salisbury areas. That will put them about 2 to 2 1/2 hours from you.

ETA - Ashville to the station at Gastonia is 1hour and 45 min.
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 12-23-2012 at 00:06.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Are you trolling?
    I thought it was against their religion to use vehicles.
    FYI - they do drive from 16-18 and then go back to horse carts, They allow the boys to get it out of their system and as contractors - we pick them up in the morning and drive them to the building site... they are the best labor on the planet for building. And they still make mistakes... They built a barn with timber that was seasoned but not kilned and the barn is infested with Powderpost... ugh.. what a mess.

During adolescence rumspringa ("running around") in some communities, nonconforming behavior that would result in the shunning of an adult who had made the permanent commitment of baptism, may meet with a degree of forbearance.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Regardless of how anyone feels about the religion of these hikers... has anyone considered the intent of the post? Does anyone have the ability to give them a ride?

GA-ME 2011
    Images

It is hard to believe that a thread on WB would veer off course
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Why not Amtak? They can get the train in Lancaster and take the train to the stations in Winston-Salem, Kannapolis, Salisbury areas. That will put them about 2 to 2 1/2 hours from you.

ETA - Ashville to the station at Gastonia is 1hour and 45 min.
    Thank you for the information. I had previously checked Amtak. The best connection and lowest cost is from Lancaster PA to High Point NC. The cost is $108 each, leaves at 5:35am and gets in at 6:48pm. The times are okay, but for three of them it would be $324. I am not sure they have adequate resources for this option. The Gastonia trip costs over twice as much ($217) and doesn't get into Gastonia until 3:12 am. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Enic View Post
    Regardless of how anyone feels about the religion of these hikers... has anyone considered the intent of the post? Does anyone have the ability to give them a ride?
    Thanks for the clarification!!

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Tell you what... I would be willing to get them to you within 2 hours of Asheville if someone could get them closer to Roanoke VA... it might have to be a joint effort here. Lancaster is 5 hours from me.
    Thanks for your offer! I will see if I can get them from Lancaster area and closer to Roanoke. I will get back to you. Thanks again!!

Images

I just did the drive from the Lancaster area to Fontana Dam last week. I may be heading back down to hike part of the trail north of Erwin sometime around that time. I won't know until it gets much closer.

Send me a message and I'll try to work out something with the guys to get them south at least as far as Roanoke. Sunday the 9th would work better for me.

Iceman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++