WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What is better AT, CDT, or PCT?

I don't want to start any "trail wars" but say you had unlimited resources and you had to choose to thru hike one trail, which one would it be?

PCT for me. The Te Araroa wasn't listed.
    http://www.teararoa.org.nz/

Unlimited resources you say? Why limit yourself to the states...

Quote Originally Posted by snowblind View Post
    Unlimited resources you say? Why limit yourself to the states...
    Damn I didn't think about other trails outside of the states. Let's say you definately want to hike one of the long distance trails in the USA, I just curious which one would be better overall. However if you guys want to throw out dream hikes on long distance trails outside of the USA, be my guest. We can all dream.

Images

You might want to be a bit more specific about what you are trying to get out of your trip.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

...and how much experience this hypothetical hiker has...

Everyone is different The Young One so what's right or "better" for one hiker may not be right or "better" for another hiker.

Personally, I wouldn't define any of the Triple Crown trails as better than another. I think it's fairer or more accurate to say they are each different and each one has it's own characteristics including possible pros, cons, similiarities, and differences. Lastly, I've never, and will never, solely judge any of the TC trails or any trail based on my resources whether my resources be unlimited or not.

Journal Entries

Chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry.
    Which one is better?

Sometimes they complement each other.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

A Triple would be "Best"
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

It would be more interesting to list the comparative strengths and weaknesses of the trails.

AT: most social trail, strong community, lots of wildflowers and wildlife, easiest for an inexperienced hiker, least wild, very frequent contact with civilization (which is both a plus and a minus), more of a party crowd than the other two, long green tunnel, long stretches with no views, cold at both ends and hot and humid in the middle.

PCT: has some really beautiful sections, some really boring ones, well graded trail so it's easy to do big miles, very long dry sections which require you to do big miles and carry a lot of water, snow travel and serious river crossings, heat, great trail angels, many hikers but a less cohesive community than the AT, a surprising number of horses/bikes/motorbikes, desert flowers, possibility of a very wet final month on the trail,

CDT: most beautiful of the three trails (IMHO), most difficult, fewest hikers so if you go solo you may end up spending significant time alone, weather is generally a bigger deal than on the other trails, so is navigation, most freedom to create your own route, abundant wildlife (as the McVeighs said in their video, "We saw more wildlife in the first week than we saw on the entire PCT." Still true.) Water and snow can be an issue. Flexibility is a necessity.

I loved my hikes on all three trails. I've done the AT and CDT twice, and attempted a second thru of the PCT which ended after my husband got injured. I would do the CDT again in a heartbeat. But I really wouldn't recommend it for anyone without long distance hiking experience.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry.
    Which one is better?

Sometimes they complement each other.
    Gets my vote for "Best Response".

Pretty much sums up any contribution to the discussion I could make.

I'm not going to respond to the question in your title (which is "best"?) but to the question in the text (which one would YOU choose to thru-hike?). I'd hike the AT, because resupply is easier. If my "unlimited resources" mean I can hire people to meet me at road crossings with my supplies, then I would pick the PCT -- a lot less rain than the AT and a lot less road walking than the CDT.

PCT: hands down winner, end of discussion .

I pretty much agree with everything Spirit Walker said and like the CDT the most, but the other two are great in their own right.

Images

I've only hiked sections of the AT so far...... But I'd like to hike all three!! Seeing small clips of Mile.... Mile and a Half, I'd love to hike the John Muir Trail.
    Hiking - Where would I rather be??
    Coolness aka Coffee Pot

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I would pick the PCT -- a lot less rain than the AT and a lot less road walking than the CDT.
    Perhaps more road walking, which I think sucks, but the CDT probably has more "trail" than the PCT to make up for it.

Images

As a person on the verge of old I am no longer fond of the rock scrambles on the AT. The horses, their people and bear canisters are annoying on the PCT. Haven't touched the CDT yet. All in all hiking is better than not hiking.

Images

AT if you want to stay fat, happy, and/or stoned.
    PCT for the views and big miles.
    CDT for when you want an actual adventure and bear spray.

If not having completed any of the three yet, I would start with the AT and go from there (which I am doing).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++