WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Hiking the entire AT in under 60 days? Totally unsupported? not getting into a vehicle ever for any reason? Ain't gonna happen. I'd be willin' to bet the farm on that. And another thing.. which Scrubhiker also mentions.. It's not a damned competition folks!!!

It's amazing the number of yahoo's this trail attracts.
    why don't you do yourself a favor and keep away from the yahoos by not posting such a dumb comment on a speed hiking forum. Matt is far from some yahoo. And while it may not be a competition for you, others may just want the physical challenge of hiking it fast. I guess maybe we should change HYOH to HYOHUIF (hike your own hike unless its fast.)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    I'm with Scrubhiker on this .. and by the way Scrub.. I LOVE your writing style! shows local color!

Hiking the entire AT in under 60 days? Totally unsupported? not getting into a vehicle ever for any reason? Ain't gonna happen. I'd be willin' to bet the farm on that. And another thing.. which Scrubhiker also mentions.. It's not a damned competition folks!!!

It's amazing the number of yahoo's this trail attracts.
    What farm? Any picture? Is the farm named " Pessimist Farm" outside Concord NH??

He is referring to Animal Farm by Orwell. The slow hikers are represented by the animals and the evil fast hikers are represented by the humans.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    He is referring to Animal Farm by Orwell. The slow hikers are represented by the animals and the evil fast hikers are represented by the humans.
    Thanks Max. I have read that book but didn't know he is referring to it.

Hey, good luck Matt. I'm rooting for you. I followed a couple links on your wikispaces page and discovered that you reference a sample 60 day itinerary I worked up in response to a post of yours here on Whiteblaze a year and a half ago. I hope it is even a little bit useful -- and I further hope that if you ever run into logistics trouble on your hike it won't be because of any bad information I offered in that post! Happy hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.d.kirk View Post
    Thanks JJJ and those who chimed in on this thread. I held off on my reply until I was 100% certain my attempt was going to happen...

It looks like it will and this may be one of my last opportunities to get to a computer. With respect to the other hikers who posted their intentions on this forum beforehand, here's mine: http://sub60.wikispaces.com

I will report back on this forum once off the trail one way or another. Until then, happy trails!

-Matt

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    What farm? Any picture? Is the farm named " Pessimist Farm" outside Concord NH??
    Koorkook, Max patch is making a joke on based on DaveNH's comment. Although I do like Max's response, it's not what "Bet the farm" means.

"Bet the farm" is an idiom that is used to indicate that the person is saying it is so sure of something that they would be willing to bet their whole life and livelihood on it. Think of it in the context of the a farmer, he would never risk his land in a bet unless he was absolutely certain that he would win.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/bet+the+farm
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Koorkook, Max patch is making a joke on based on DaveNH's comment. Although I do like Max's response, it's not what "Bet the farm" means.

"Bet the farm" is an idiom that is used to indicate that the person is saying it is so sure of something that they would be willing to bet their whole life and livelihood on it. Think of it in the context of the a farmer, he would never risk his land in a bet unless he was absolutely certain that he would win.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/bet+the+farm
    Thank you The Elf. I have a looong way to go to understand most of the idioms of American English. It is people like you and Max Patch that teach me the idioms in the context. I appreciate that and ask you please keep up the good work and let me know where I am off.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Hey, good luck Matt. I'm rooting for you. I followed a couple links on your wikispaces page and discovered that you reference a sample 60 day itinerary I worked up in response to a post of yours here on Whiteblaze a year and a half ago. I hope it is even a little bit useful -- and I further hope that if you ever run into logistics trouble on your hike it won't be because of any bad information I offered in that post! Happy hiking.
    I'm looking forward to following Matt's hike, he's got a legit shot at doing this thing! I'm also glad that Map Man is following the hike...we got some great thread updates from Map Man on previous record attempts!

Images

I noticed that Matt Kirk has an update on his site (http://sub60.wikispaces.com/) that appears to have been updated last night.
    It is just a 28 second video of him starting his sub 60 day speed hike attempt on Katahdin. He even offers a John Muir quote(nice!).
    There is also a start picture on top of K.

He gives a 9:42 AM start time, but no day(likely by design).
    Should be fun watching this attempt unfold.

Images

As best as I can tell from the latest video, 71.4 miles after two days.
    37.8 and 33.6

Images

Nature Boy was CRUSHING the unsupported record until he got bonked outside of Waynesboro.

I love this!

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

5 days in and it looks like he's chugging along. go matt!
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Nature Boy was CRUSHING the unsupported record until he got bonked outside of Waynesboro.
    Nature Boy may not have the Unsupported record but he certainly has the Unsubstantiated record. I think he's completely FOS.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Nature Boy may not have the Unsupported record but he certainly has the Unsubstantiated record. I think he's completely FOS.
    Why do you say this? I'm curious, i've heard this sentiment echoed on WB before about Nature Boy and have no clue why people feel this way.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    5 days in and it looks like he's chugging along. go matt!
    Looks like Matt made it to Caratunk at the end of Day 4. 151 miles in 4 days for a 38mpd avg.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Looks like Matt made it to Caratunk at the end of Day 4. 151 miles in 4 days for a 38mpd avg.
    That's amazing. I guess that now he what mostly needs is good luck.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    That's amazing. I guess that now he what mostly needs is good luck.
    Weather looks quite good. He may get through NH before any more sustained rains.

I wonder how he stacks up to Jennifer Pharr Davis at this point. I imagine it would be tempting to go for the supported record if he were to be on pace after getting through the tough stuff.

Why do you say this? I'm curious, i've heard this sentiment echoed on WB before about Nature Boy and have no clue why people feel this way.
    One year he claimed to be the fastest thru hiker to get to Harpers Ferry. Then claimed to be the fastest thru hiker to get to the Whites. I mean really bragging it up. Then somebody mentioned that he skipped the Smokies completely and he stated that he was "going to do it later." On his last effort he was practically begging people to send him pizza or money for pizza - not exactly unsupported. Then this claim he was dragged from his tent and beaten in the middle of the night. Really? He is the Rosie Ruiz of long distance hikers.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Lets see if he can keep that pace up. This is the point where the shin splints and blisters usually start to show up...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++