WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Self Supported In Under 60 Days

I came across a blog post that made me kind of excited the other day. I won't say who wrote it, because I'm sure that person will probably state their intent here when they are ready to do so since they are someone who occasionally posts on these forums.

I know people make these claims all the time these days, but I also know for a fact that if anybody is actually going to do it (has the mental and physical attributes to do it), it is going to be the person who wrote these words:

If the stars happen to align in 2013, that something big will hopefully be a third thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. It will have been six years since my hike in 2007 and twelve since my hike in 2001. With two months off from my current job, I would take this opportunity to attempt a “self-supported” southbound thru-hike in less than sixty days (37 miles/day).

The main purpose of this hike would be to celebrate the challenge of moving fast, light and free along the trail. The “self-supported” guidelines that I would follow are modeled after the walk and talk of Scott "Bink" Williamson:

• Walk into and out of resupply towns to purchase or pick up prepacked and mailed supplies.
    • Hike as a backpacker, carrying all food and equipment between resupply towns.
    • Follow the official AT route, no detours, road walks or alternates of any kind.
    • Do not have anyone follow, or provide support in a prearranged manner.
    • Do not get into a vehicle for any reason during the attempt.
    • Honestly and thoroughly document the attempt.
    • Practice Leave-No-Trace ethics.
    Talk amongst yourselves.
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Images

Not sure why the mystery. Matt Kirk. Good luck to him

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

"Another pretender! He'll never make it! He doesn't understand what 60 days MEANS! Which way's he going? Nobo? Everyone knows you can't do it nobo! Where's he from? Probably some flat state that ain't never seen mountains like we got here in Tennessee! When's he starting? MAY?!?!? This guy doesn't stand a chance. For one thing, the doodle-wasps will be out in force in Hog***** Gap bout that time and it don't take but a few of them fellers stingin' you to knock you off the trail for a couple days. He thinks he can do the Whites in 3 days! Well let me tell you something, I may be an old fat hiker but it took me 10 days to get through there ... 3 days is impossible! This guy's a crock! No respect for the Trail or its history! IMPOSTOR! WANNABE!"

- typical WhiteBlaze response

At least this guy has hiked the trail before so he has a clue about what he's getting into.

The record is 60.5 days, I don't why he thinks he is the one to break it. I do wish him luck; I have absolutely no interest in "supported" hikes but it sounds like he is going after the unsupported record in an honorable fashion. Good for him; I'd try it myself if I thot I had a chance of doing it.

I like the guidelines. Makes the resupply logistics interesting also, when you have to tradeoff extra miles vs extra weight and pick and choose your resupply towns. What I might do different would be to not use mail drops, and more days of course.

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    "Another pretender! He'll never make it! He doesn't understand what 60 days MEANS! Which way's he going? Nobo? Everyone knows you can't do it nobo! Where's he from? Probably some flat state that ain't never seen mountains like we got here in Tennessee! When's he starting? MAY?!?!? This guy doesn't stand a chance. For one thing, the doodle-wasps will be out in force in Hog***** Gap bout that time and it don't take but a few of them fellers stingin' you to knock you off the trail for a couple days. He thinks he can do the Whites in 3 days! Well let me tell you something, I may be an old fat hiker but it took me 10 days to get through there ... 3 days is impossible! This guy's a crock! No respect for the Trail or its history! IMPOSTOR! WANNABE!"

You forgot the "its not a competition" or some such nonsense.

I also like the guidelines as a means to minimize ambiguity around what he is looking to accomplish. I wish him luck.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

"IT'S NOT A COMPETITION! How's he plan to see anything hiking so fast? He can't possibly enjoy the trail hiking that way! A baby fawn walks up to him and he'll probably KICK it to the side and keep hurryin' on down the trail! I don't see the point behind this whole "speed-hiking" craze!"

... there, was there anything else I missed?
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Whether or not he makes it, this is the first claim of its kind I've seen on here that seems even slightly grounded in reality. I wish him all the best... Records are meant to be broken.

"IT'S NOT A COMPETITION! How's he plan to see anything hiking so fast? He can't possibly enjoy the trail hiking that way! A baby fawn walks up to him and he'll probably KICK it to the side and keep hurryin' on down the trail! I don't see the point behind this whole "speed-hiking" craze!"

... there, was there anything else I missed?
    You forgot to make a statement about it not being verified by witnesses! Other then that your doing great!

Images

This is his 3rd thru-hike so he has more credibility than the typical 18-22 year old first-timer that gets blasted for not knowing what he's getting into.

Just another attention whore.

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    Just another attention whore.
    He didn't post it anywhere except his personal blog. Someone else posted it here. That is a little harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    He didn't post it anywhere except his personal blog. Someone else posted it here. That is a little harsh.
    Agreed. It's the ones who announce on a forum like WB and then go on to ask for donations to make it happen which should get knocked down.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I wish him well. I'd think the biggest logistical challenge is resupply but he knows the Trail and what it entails. Also he'll have to resist the temptation for any ride offers to/from town.

Bathing in the creeks I guess. Or not at all. There's always the shower at Dahlgren campsite in MD.

Images

His resupply restrictions have become pretty standard for those doing an unsupported/self supported hike. The AT is likely the ideal trail for resupply vs the other two long trails.

I wish him well, i think most WB'ers support people like this guy, he has done it before and knows what he is in for. but i also think most WB'ers are sick of seeing people, who has never done any long distance hiking, running there mouth on how they are going to crush some record and all they need is a little donation from you and when they fail, you never hear a word from them. Again i wish this guy the best of luck.

I've always hoped Matt would give it a shot. Outside of Skurka, I think he has the best shot of anyone else out there. At least on paper he has the experience, will power, and toughness to get it done. Plus a little touch of the crazy always helps.

Ryan

I take it he's a friend of yours.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

i know my opinion don't mean crap, but at least im not on the trail running and speed hiking forum to worry about someone hiking so fast they won't be able to smell the roses :-) but i personally think there should be a Nobo & a Sobo record, everyone says going sobo is easier for record attempts, so why not give people the credit they deserve like wards record going Nobo. if matt hikes under 60 days(sobo) thats cool but i personally would still like to think ward is also a record holder(nobo) the other thing is this no car thing, im not sure what all hitching on the pct is about, but hitching on the AT is part of the thruhike, a self-supported record attempting hike to me is just like a regular thruhike, just alot faster :-) i don't see where making up a bunch of maildrops ahead of time no matter who mails them to you is any better than hitching into towns with unpre-aranged rides. hitching is always hit or miss anyways? IMO if matt or anyone else pulls off a sub 60 days and did not hitch to towns i agree we might have to add that to the requirements for future attempts but not before hand
    Last edited by CrumbSnatcher; 12-29-2012 at 10:54.

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++