WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 7 oz ponch tarp

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Good if combined with a bivy bag, if it suits your style, and there are spruce trees to camp under.
    What's up with the spruce trees? I've used a poncho tarp and a bug bivy and though I was oh so cool that I was an ultralighter just like on Backpackinglight.com. I don't think we have spruces this far south. Do I have to start carrying a damn tree to stay cool?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    What's up with the spruce trees? I've used a poncho tarp and a bug bivy and though I was oh so cool that I was an ultralighter just like on Backpackinglight.com. I don't think we have spruces this far south. Do I have to start carrying a damn tree to stay cool?

Spruce and fir are found above maybe 4500-5000 ft. They are there. The summit of Unaka mtn is all red spruce.

It is an excellent choice for rain gear. I like that it acts not only as a rain jacket for me, but doubles as a pack cover as well. As far as its sheltering possibilities, I find a lot depends on your size & comfort levels. The bigger you are, the more trouble you will have finding just the right pitch to give you the comfort level you want.

Images

I have been looking at the same for just a poncho and emergency shelter. Does it fit well as a poncho over a full pack?
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

You might also want to look at the Six Moons Gatewood Cape. A bit more coverage in shelter mode, but it tends to be too big as rain gear for vertically challenged hikers. I have one and it works well enough, but like any poncho-tarp it is a compromise.
    This is an adventure.

Images

I have one of these and have used it as a tarp overy a hammock. Nice set up.

Images

"over" a hammock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++