WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Which campsite at Baxter to start SOBO???

Looking for a recommendation on Baxter and Campsites...

I plan to drive my son to Baxter where he will start his SOBO in late May. As an avid section hiker, I to plan to hike Katahdin with him and continue hiking around Baxter for a few days while he heads south.

My question is which Baxter campsite would you consider to be the most convenient for what we plan to do? As Katahdin must be done in one-day, I would expect the campsite to be convenient to the AT for him) and act as a base-camp for me. Any suggestions?
    Shocker

Images

katahdin stream campground is the most likely spot. there are several other sites you can choose, but you must make reservations well in advance.
    you can go to http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/index.htm for more information and to reserve a site.

You should see if you can get a friend that can shuttle you around while you and your son do Katahdin. This way you can go up on the other side instead of up and down the same trail. Then they can do the other day hikes with you afterwards.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    You should see if you can get a friend that can shuttle you around while you and your son do Katahdin. This way you can go up on the other side instead of up and down the same trail. Then they can do the other day hikes with you afterwards.
    or you can stay at abol campground go up the abol trail and then down the hunt.

Katahdin Stream is the easiest plus its a quick walk to the Birches just so he can say he stopped by the first/last AT campsite. If you are base camping it, the main campground of Katahdin stream is very busy with the campsites real close to each other and all are buggy in the the early season. If you dont mind the bugs there are a couple of tent sites and two shelters on the south side of the stream, they are a short walk in but a lot quieter and more private. There is also a bunkhouse, that has a stove and bugscreens which is real convenient. Generations of critters have been trained at KSC so every scrap of food has to be in a vermin proof container in your trunk.

If you are in the park a couple of days, you need to book at least two nights at Roaring Brook so you can hike the east side of the mountain. There are couple of day hikes including the infamous knifes edge. This is definitely not a route to take a pack over. If you can arrange the logistics, you could leave your sons pack at KSC and hike up up and over the summit with day packs as a day hike but unless you are used to hiking in the NE if may be a bit intense for many. There is also a bunkhouse at Roaring Brook. The cabins at Daicey pond are very close to the AT and have the best view in the park but they are tough to reserve but worth trying. They have beds and wood stoves.

In general the trails up katahdin are more intense than the whites, with the exception of the Saddle trail, all involve some boulder scrambling and much longer stretches of above treeline. If you like Huntingtons Ravine Trail, Flume Slide, the trail up wildcat from Rt 16 or the south side of South Kinsman, you will be right at home.

If you want to bag the 4000 footers and 100 highest, you need to book at both Roaring Brook and KSC.

Thank you all for responding. I appreciate your input and insight.
    Shocker

AT 2012

Peakbagger has pretty much bagged it. I like the idea of staying at roaring brook, hiking past chimney pond and up and over the knife edge to get to the summit, then hiking down the hunt trail to formally start the SOBO together. The car ends up being a logistical issue, but if you can work out the chimney pond route you will be happy. I say "I like the idea" because the reality is that bad weather can scuttle the knife edge walk and keep you stuck on the back side of kitahdin. If timing is an issue for your son than go for kitahdin stream campground.
    Lazarus

Images

Oh, yah, definitely, for your son's primo experience...go up Roaring Brook to Chimney...and if possible...do the the Knife's Edge to summit then down Hunt for his SoBo. The car may be at RB but hitchhiking has always worked for me. Even the BSP guys have given me a ride as I was footin' it back to RB. In May, snow is an issue. Hope it works out. Look for some Trail Magic at Shaw's in Monson! Good luck!
    AT Trail Magic

++ New Posts ++