WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default So I Burn My Trash big deal

On the trail I met some rather unhappy campers who griped about me burning my trash the worst was a coupla Hippy types who gave me the fifth degree about air pollution and climate change and I took the time to kindly explain that with all the cars trucks and factories out there me burning my wrappers and tissue was a mere drop in the bucket

Look I understand leave no trace but why carry all that junk

Besides the plastic burns especially well very helpful when starting a fire

I contend burning my trash is more enviromentally friendly than throwing it on the ground or dropping it in the privy like too many do unfortunately

The only thing I packout is empty canisters because for obvious reasons you can't burn them

If it's plastic or paper even wrecked clothing BURN IT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe Thru-Hiker View Post
    On the trail I met some rather unhappy campers who griped about me burning my trash the worst was a coupla Hippy types who gave me the fifth degree about air pollution and climate change and I took the time to kindly explain that with all the cars trucks and factories out there me burning my wrappers and tissue was a mere drop in the bucket

Look I understand leave no trace but why carry all that junk

Besides the plastic burns especially well very helpful when starting a fire

I contend burning my trash is more enviromentally friendly than throwing it on the ground or dropping it in the privy like too many do unfortunately

The only thing I packout is empty canisters because for obvious reasons you can't burn them

If it's plastic or paper even wrecked clothing BURN IT
    do you have a problem with smokers?

wood is the only thing that should be burned in a fire pit. period

Images

Ok - I don't have any problem at all with your hiking poles - - i certainly do have a problem with you burning plastic - - it might not even be more environmentally friendly than dropping it on the ground and neither are LNT. It sounds like you are starting your thru hike planning (my assumption due to your WB i.d.) with a lot of strong opinions that are somewhat against the mainstream - - you'll meet a lot of "hippy types" on the trail and a lot of other "types" - - I hope that you'll want to get along - - I've learned to get along with (and even learn from) rednecks and hunters, anglers, and hippies and boy scouts and family camp outs - - the whole show and I'm not a member of any of these groups - - learning from others is part of the trail experience. I've thru-hiked and I've hiked thousands of miles since then and I'm still learning - - you might want to open up to some new ideas - - please don't burn plastic - - as a matter of fact, you rarely need a fire at all - - unless it's winter, I really almost never build a fire. Fires are destructive and LNT ethics teach us to avoid them when possible (or keep them very small) - I recommend both.
    Last edited by Papa D; 12-30-2012 at 12:50.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    wood is the only thing that should be burned in a fire pit. period
    I'm agreeing more and more with Lone Wolf these days - - thanks LW - - I don't mind a bit of paper (wood product) if you insist.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    do you have a problem with smokers?
    No not really infact I saw very few cigarette smokers on the trail

Lots of druggies seems every other camp or so somebody was passing a joint and that crap really stinks inside a shelter

One guy loved his cigars and afew pipe smokers

Overall most were courteous and didn't smoke inside the shelters

Journal Entries
    Images

During my thru-hike I was amazed how much thru-hikers cared for the AT and how they did observe "Leave no trace." It was mostly the day hikers and short section hikers who left their crap behind for someone else to deal with.
    Grampie-N->2001

I've burned hundreds of books over the years and I'm not even catholic ha ha ha. And I've burned thru some ziplocs too.

Reading this and his other posts I'm beginning to think Wannabe also burned the punctuation keys on his keyboard. That or he never met a run on sentence he didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Rules! View Post
    Reading this and his other posts I'm beginning to think Wannabe also burned the punctuation keys on his keyboard. That or he never met a run on sentence he didn't like.
    Ha Ha!! me and run on sentences?... yeah, we are good 2

He's really stirring things up round here.

I love to burn trash, if there's a campfire going. If "they" didn't pack it out... just burn it baby.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well WTH are you looking for commiseration? Or were you looking for a verbal way to handle the issue? If I was in your boots confronted with a bunch of environmental whiners, I would give it a nice kind approach and kill this moment and say "I feel this is the best way to reduce my footprint, I plan to pack it out with the least food smell possible." I have felt that Planes, Cars, and Volcano's have a far bigger impact and by the way are you not familiar with what a trash-to-steam plant does?

Try to find a nice kind way of "we agree to dis-agree"

Also new plastic bottles and some bags are now becoming biodegradable and are made from Feed Corn byproducts....

The Scouts I hang with in the past on long backpacking trips repackage all food in double bags of Paper bags and a layer of thin garbage bag and burn it. Then pack out the residuals.

I also agree with LW, I have not burned my trash in a long time. Unless it's bound to attract animals.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

One problem with burning other "stuff" is that the other "stuff" doesn't completely burn.

Do you put out your fire by peeing on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Rules! View Post
    I wouldn't single out the OP in this thread. There is incessant grammatical, punctuation, and spelling rulebreaking by many on WB.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I wouldn't single out the OP in this thread. There is incessant grammatical, punctuation, and spelling rulebreaking by many on WB.
    I'm well aware of that. It was intended as humor. Not my fault he's sensitive.

Images

Hey I resemble that remark

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe Thru-Hiker View Post
    Grammar nazi much

Are you one of those pathetic losers who trolls chatboards and points out every spelling mistake

Look genius it's a FORUM not an english class homework assignment

Oh the terrible run-on sentence get a real life dude
    Are we on Candid Camera?

Rule breaking is 2 words.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Hey I resemble that remark
    Now I didn't mention any names in particular...

Images

Now I didn't mention any names in particular...
    no ofenz takn

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++