WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    AT 2012

Default Connecticut Mohawk loop advice

Planning a Mohawk trail loop in a couple of weeks and looking for suggestions. It looks like around 10 miles of AT and 20 miles of former AT which loops over Mohawk ski area, for a thirty mile total loop. I was thinking of two more or less fifteen mile days, with a short hike Friday evening to begin. Hey, this is Connecticut...if I could eat every meal someplace warm I'd be happy! I was thinking for example, of wandering off the Mohawk trail at the base of the ski area to hit their lodge for a meal, then walking up the slope to rejoin the trail. I am apparently not allowed to park or sleep in the state park there... Any advice on places to park, eat or camp during this mini adventure? ...I know I may increase the Friday evening miles if I have to plan for more than bragging rights snow cover...
    Lazarus

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    Planning a Mohawk trail loop in a couple of weeks and looking for suggestions. It looks like around 10 miles of AT and 20 miles of former AT which loops over Mohawk ski area, for a thirty mile total loop. I was thinking of two more or less fifteen mile days, with a short hike Friday evening to begin. Hey, this is Connecticut...if I could eat every meal someplace warm I'd be happy! I was thinking for example, of wandering off the Mohawk trail at the base of the ski area to hit their lodge for a meal, then walking up the slope to rejoin the trail. I am apparently not allowed to park or sleep in the state park there... Any advice on places to park, eat or camp during this mini adventure? ...I know I may increase the Friday evening miles if I have to plan for more than bragging rights snow cover...
    36 miles total. i just got the connecticut walk book with maps, descriptions, etc. yesterday, so ill sit down tonight and plot the route, figure out some bail points.start from corwall bridge? but mohawk first or last?.elf is coming, too and coach lou said he might want to hike with us friday, so we might even have a shuttle available

AT 2012

Great. I have to teach a class Friday afternoon so can't be at a trailhead till around four pm, but let me know where you plan to camp and I'll catch up after dark!
    Lazarus

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    Great. I have to teach a class Friday afternoon so can't be at a trailhead till around four pm, but let me know where you plan to camp and I'll catch up after dark!
    cool............

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I just found this site, looks like there are several camp sites on the Mohawk trail, but they're by permit only and they claim it takes two weeks to get a permit. 'Im still trying to line up the maps so to see exactly where the sites are on the trail.

Regulations and details are here:

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2716&Q=325032

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I just found this site, looks like there are several camp sites on the Mohawk trail, but they're by permit only and they claim it takes two weeks to get a permit. 'Im still trying to line up the maps so to see exactly where the sites are on the trail.

Regulations and details are here:

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2716&Q=325032

do you think there are ridgerunners ?i dont think the logistics of the sites are that great, may have to stealth on the mohawk somewhere else. still checking out the maps

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Take a look at this photo, I listed out the rough approximation of the A.T. and Mohawk trail Camp and shelter sites. (click on the thumbnail to go to the larger copy in my gallery)

Send me a PM if you have an idea of where we want to start, I will try to send a letter to the CT DEEP tomorrow or Wednesday requesting Mohawk shelter sites.

Images

Very Nice Dave!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Also, my uncle lives in the area, he said that right now they have about a foot of snow on the ground consisting of 4"-6" of crusted over old snow and 6"-8" of new powder from last night.

Images

long range forecast is for lo to mid 40s w/ a slight chance of light rain showers saturday. perfect opportunity to test our theories on preventing hypothermia

Images

Reservations? On a Blue Trail, in winter, in Connecticut. AH, I would chance it....also, are fires permitted on a blue trail? I going to have to get rid of the pastry box somehow!

I hiked this loop in late October -- on a wet, gray, drippy weekend -- and had a great time.

I started in Cornwall Bridge and went anti-clockwise hiking the Mohawk Trail leg first, coming back south on the AT. There were a couple of spots on the Mohawk that were a bit tricky route finding, but nothing insurmountable.

I did it in 3 days, with mileages of about 10, 15, and 11.

There are bits of road walking on the Mohawk, but it is quiet, peaceful, rural road walking and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't meet anyone on the trail until the last couple of miles on the 3rd day, which fit my mood perfectly at the time.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Both of the Mohawk shelters are very close to the road, which violates my number one rule of campsite selection. If you are going to be in a group it's probably much less of a concern.

I never saw the one on the Wickwire Road. I wasn't looking for it, so I may simply have not seen it. There is a relocation in that area where the trail leaves the old road for a section, so maybe the shelter is bypassed now.

One note where I had issues following the trail: after crossing Route 4 and leaving Mohawk State Forest the trail goes over a hill and comes down to Johnson Rd. I remember I got water from a brook a bit before reaching Johnson Road. Just after this brook it looks like the trail follows an old road bed, but I soon lost the blazes. I wandered back and forth a bit before giving up and just bushwhacking through the brush to the road. I could see no blazes on telephone poles or trees, so walked up the road to the right a bit thren turned around and went down to the left. I finally saw a single blaze where the trail went into the woods (where I should have come out onto the road if I hadn't lost the trail, so I turned around and walked up to the top of the hill, and continued on the road until it finally intersected Rt 43 at the bottom of the hill, where the trail re-enters the woods straight ahead.

This was only an issue for me because I was hiking with only a general idea of the trail route in my head and no decent map. The lack of blazes on the road walk kept me wondering if I had missed the trail turning off into the woods somewhere.

Soon after I got back into the woods it got dark enough that I couldn't see well, and the rain started coming down in earnest, so I hung my hammock and camped for the night.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

What days are y'all out? Have you figured out the routing? I may be able to come out one or two of the days but am not equipped to camp overnight in winter, I don't think - the bag is rated only to 30 F, and I'd rather sleep at home if hiking that close this time of year.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    Both of the Mohawk shelters are very close to the road, which violates my number one rule of campsite selection. If you are going to be in a group it's probably much less of a concern.

I never saw the one on the Wickwire Road. I wasn't looking for it, so I may simply have not seen it. There is a relocation in that area where the trail leaves the old road for a section, so maybe the shelter is bypassed now.

One note where I had issues following the trail: after crossing Route 4 and leaving Mohawk State Forest the trail goes over a hill and comes down to Johnson Rd. I remember I got water from a brook a bit before reaching Johnson Road. Just after this brook it looks like the trail follows an old road bed, but I soon lost the blazes. I wandered back and forth a bit before giving up and just bushwhacking through the brush to the road. I could see no blazes on telephone poles or trees, so walked up the road to the right a bit thren turned around and went down to the left. I finally saw a single blaze where the trail went into the woods (where I should have come out onto the road if I hadn't lost the trail, so I turned around and walked up to the top of the hill, and continued on the road until it finally intersected Rt 43 at the bottom of the hill, where the trail re-enters the woods straight ahead.

This was only an issue for me because I was hiking with only a general idea of the trail route in my head and no decent map. The lack of blazes on the road walk kept me wondering if I had missed the trail turning off into the woods somewhere.

Soon after I got back into the woods it got dark enough that I couldn't see well, and the rain started coming down in earnest, so I hung my hammock and camped for the night.
    thanks monkeywrench. great info

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    What days are y'all out? Have you figured out the routing? I may be able to come out one or two of the days but am not equipped to camp overnight in winter, I don't think - the bag is rated only to 30 F, and I'd rather sleep at home if hiking that close this time of year.
    going out friday saturday and sunday the 11th to the 13th. coach lou may hike friday.laz is hooking up with us late fri afternoon, me and elf will start fri am thru sun
    Last edited by hikerboy57; 12-31-2012 at 18:15.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    going out friday saturday and sunday the 11th to the 13th. coach lou may hike friday.laz is hooking up with us late fri afternoon, me and elf will start fri am thru sun
    Great. The forecast I saw this pm was for a chance of snow on Friday with highs near 23 F, with minimal wind. Hopefully not too bad in hypothermic terms. I'd love to join you for some part of the loop. Should be gorgeous out there.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Hey Driver!

We'd be glad to have you join us. I agree that you shouldn't chance the overnights in a 30* bag (I'm bringing my zero degree, but that might be overkill as well). Let us know what days you want to hike with us and we'll PM you once we have a final plan.

I was trying to get Lou to hike with us the whole way, but apparently he considers work obligations more important than having fun with his friends

Images

Great, Dave. Ideally, I'd like to meet up with y'all at Falls Village at the northern A.T./Mohawk junction. I'd want to hike down from my car at Great Falls, then, ideally, hike with y'all to Rt. 4 and get another car back to mine. We could grab grub somewhere after. Does that fit with any of the days y'all are planning? Pls advise - PM's fine for me. It'd be fun to hike with you, and it would allow me to check off a big chunk of what I have left in CT. I'd then have Rt 4 to base of St. John's Ledges left and Rt. 341 to Rt. 55.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

That could very well work. I'm considering dropping off my car at West Cornwall road as a bailout point, but can adjust to another parking spot. If I did this then I could easily shuttle you for a dayhike. I'll PM or call you once we figure it out.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 01-01-2013 at 03:00.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++