WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Yesterday i got a second assignment for Saturday. Friday: walk with you guys, 95% chance I sleep over. Saturday am walk out to 'the fish car', drive to Northford rink/ 445pm Daniel Hand vs. North Haven, get back in my car, drive to Newington (say Hi to Andys mom)830pm Newington vs East Catholic, leave head south on route 9 back to Saybrook.....try not to fall asleep on the way. Sunday, drive back to Northford, give skating instruction to Liberty Mutual insurance appraiser, walk to Red side (double rink) and ref 3 youth games.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Yesterday i got a second assignment for Saturday. Friday: walk with you guys, 95% chance I sleep over. Saturday am walk out to 'the fish car', drive to Northford rink/ 445pm Daniel Hand vs. North Haven, get back in my car, drive to Newington (say Hi to Andys mom)830pm Newington vs East Catholic, leave head south on route 9 back to Saybrook.....try not to fall asleep on the way. Sunday, drive back to Northford, give skating instruction to Liberty Mutual insurance appraiser, walk to Red side (double rink) and ref 3 youth games.
    Now that's a full weekend!

Any update on the itinerary, Andy? I am not sure yet about my Friday availability. Hope to do one of the three days with y'all. Would prefer the A.T. part if possible.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Hey Driver8, your PM inbox is full.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

The only advice I can give is that you don't fall in the creek near Dark Entry Road at night, when it's in the 20s, and very windy. That's what my wife did a couple weeks ago and it ended our hike of this loop before it really got started. It was a great excersize on what to do if you fall in a creek on a windy night with temperatures in the 20s. We'll try again in the future. You guys are gonna have to take some photos and post them, OK?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Hey Driver8, your PM inbox is full.
    Thanks for the heads up, Elf. Just cleaned out some messages so back in business there. In fact, better than PM for me is e-mail, which I can get on the phone. Working all day tomorrow and Friday. I'm at [email protected], only one "s".

I can do Saturday or Sunday. Friday's out. If we do that part of the A.T. I mentioned, I think, due to the distance, I might want to start at Rt. 7 on north end and end at Rt. 4, or vice versa depending on the direction y'all are hiking, if possible. Looking forward to hiking with you - the forecast is looking pretty warm, so there should be minimal snow and ice to deal with. It'll be springy!

Images

Great hiking with you guys today, and good to meet you, HB, Elf and Lazarus. Laz, hope you got far enough to catch up with H and D after Lou and I advanced them a few miles. Enjoyed brunch with the guys at the Country Bistro - wish you could've been there, Steve, but I admire your speed and persistence.

The snow was pretty today, though the views were minimal. After the drop-off, I went and hiked across the Iron Bridge to Great Falls and back for another 0.8 - wasn't in the mood for more four-and-a-half more miles today, so I didn't do the round trip to my starting point this morning. I now have 60 miles even done on the long and winding trail. Looking forward to finishing the CT section soon and very much looking forward to another group hike with you all - today was a blast! Photos not loading for me now, will try in another post.

Images

By the way, boy, was I wrong about conditions - sorry about that, guys. As we talked about, there appears to have been a good-sized pre-Christmas snowstorm which hit Salisbury/Cornwall/Sharon and points north that missed Kent and Sherman, and I wouldn't be surprised if the 12/29 storm dumped more on this area than on further south. The trail never fails to surprise.

Images

Here's a link, by the way, to the Diamond Joe Biden bits in the Onion, the first, bottom one, from September 2011, being about him offering a vising ambassador a private tour of the sweet-a$$ roof of the White House, the other being the Twitter feed from his VP debate vs. Paul Ryan. http://www.theonion.com/search/?q=Di...&sort=relevant

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    One note where I had issues following the trail: after crossing Route 4 and leaving Mohawk State Forest the trail goes over a hill and comes down to Johnson Rd. I remember I got water from a brook a bit before reaching Johnson Road. Just after this brook it looks like the trail follows an old road bed, but I soon lost the blazes. I wandered back and forth a bit before giving up and just bushwhacking through the brush to the road. I could see no blazes on telephone poles or trees, so walked up the road to the right a bit thren turned around and went down to the left. I finally saw a single blaze where the trail went into the woods (where I should have come out onto the road if I hadn't lost the trail, so I turned around and walked up to the top of the hill, and continued on the road until it finally intersected Rt 43 at the bottom of the hill, where the trail re-enters the woods straight ahead.

This was only an issue for me because I was hiking with only a general idea of the trail route in my head and no decent map. The lack of blazes on the road walk kept me wondering if I had missed the trail turning off into the woods somewhere.
    Hey Monkeywrench,

I'm the new trail maintainer for the 4 mile section between the Mohawk State Forest entrance on Route 4 and Lake Road. I took over the trail only a month and a half ago and unfortunately the temperatures have not allowed me to do much blazing. The Johnson Road section was NEVER blazed after the re-route many years ago, yet the old AT blazes were blacked out. I was able get in a day blazing south bound on Johnson Road so far. Northbound hopefully soon.

From Route 4 to the outlook on Red Mountain is really bad with blazes. That is one of my first priorities once the temperatures permit. When the weather cooperates in the spring, I plan to host volunteer work days to help blaze, remove trail debris, clear a footpath for upcoming reroutes, etc. If you or anyone you know would like helping out, feel free to email me your contact information at [email protected] or leave a PM here. I'll hang on to info and keep you updated on dates.

I'll keep working on as much as I can and hope to catch you on the trail sometime.

Thanks,

Steve

I did this loop counter-clockwise (south on AT, north on Mohawk) last week. I started at Lime Rock, stayed the first night near Caesar Brook Campsite, the second night 'stealth' camped near the top of the ski area in Mohawk Park, the third night near Pine Knoll Lean-to. The trail was in good shape and easy to follow.

I did a video of the trip. This was first attempt, and it came out really long (over 90 minutes total). I split it up into separate videos for each day. The first day is here:

--Peter

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Just got back from a quick overnight on a part of the Mohawk trail. Still a great little section, I really widh the A.T. had never been routed off of it.

DB5D9268-AC04-4C27-894D-1C677FA3354A.jpegF80FE8B8-975A-4887-AD8A-D2FEA78A2EF9.jpegA3446EA1-B9CA-4433-954A-24BEF1A963C9.jpgA3446EA1-B9CA-4433-954A-24BEF1A963C9.jpg

Images

Just got back from a quick overnight on a part of the Mohawk trail. Still a great little section, I really widh the A.T. had never been routed off of it.

DB5D9268-AC04-4C27-894D-1C677FA3354A.jpegF80FE8B8-975A-4887-AD8A-D2FEA78A2EF9.jpegA3446EA1-B9CA-4433-954A-24BEF1A963C9.jpgA3446EA1-B9CA-4433-954A-24BEF1A963C9.jpg
    keep meaning to do this. keep not getting around to it.

the reason why the relo was done has to probably be the most fascinatingly bizarre relo story of them all

did the relo have to do with Dudley Town and Dark Entry Forest
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    keep meaning to do this. keep not getting around to it.

the reason why the relo was done has to probably be the most fascinatingly bizarre relo story of them all
    I highly recommend it, I think the Mohawk is much more scenic than the new section of the A.T. that replaced it.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    did the relo have to do with Dudley Town and Dark Entry Forest
    I don’t claim to be terribly knowledgeable, however that’s the explanation I’ve read. Too many freaky freakies and local curiosity seekers started using what was then the A.T. through Dark Entry preserve to get to Dudleytown after the Warrens more or less fabricated the legend that the town was cursed. As I understand it, the owners and the town emergency services finally ran out of patience after a number of years of dealing with tresspassing and SAR calls from the mountain so they finally kicked the trail off. It reopened a number of years later under the management of the CFPA, but I know even less about that.

Images

I don’t claim to be terribly knowledgeable, however that’s the explanation I’ve read. Too many freaky freakies and local curiosity seekers started using what was then the A.T. through Dark Entry preserve to get to Dudleytown after the Warrens more or less fabricated the legend that the town was cursed. As I understand it, the owners and the town emergency services finally ran out of patience after a number of years of dealing with tresspassing and SAR calls from the mountain so they finally kicked the trail off. It reopened a number of years later under the management of the CFPA, but I know even less about that.
    its also closed (though i dont know how or how well policed it is) in october, and possibly late september, as apparently around halloween was when most of the problems arose.

Images

its also closed (though i dont know how or how well policed it is) in october, and possibly late september, as apparently around halloween was when most of the problems arose.
    which has made me wonder, was there ever a time it was presented to the ATC that the AT could stay where it was if they agreed to let it be closed down around halloween?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Thanks for pointing that out, I’d totally forgotten. Fortunately I think it’s limited to the Dark Entry Forest property and not the whole trail. From local rumor I’ve heard that it is enforced to an extent as the neighbors on both sides will call the police if they see people who are obviously tresspassing.

Images

Thanks for pointing that out, I’d totally forgotten. Fortunately I think it’s limited to the Dark Entry Forest property and not the whole trail. From local rumor I’ve heard that it is enforced to an extent as the neighbors on both sides will call the police if they see people who are obviously tresspassing.
    this is also a really good case for being "anti purity" to harken back to another recent thread.

itd really be sort of bonkers to argue that a hiker who reached CT not around halloween decided to take the old route, which was really only abandoned for some bizarrely specific reasons, isnt a thru hiker.

i guess there are reasons why they dont do it but would ti really be so hard to say that this and a handful of other alternate routes (sherburne pass) still count?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    thanks for the report driver8.right now it looks like its going to warm up nicely towrds the end of the week.hope we dont have too much rain if any.
    this is also a really good case for being "anti purity" to harken back to another recent thread.

itd really be sort of bonkers to argue that a hiker who reached CT not around halloween decided to take the old route, which was really only abandoned for some bizarrely specific reasons, isnt a thru hiker.

i guess there are reasons why they dont do it but would ti really be so hard to say that this and a handful of other alternate routes (sherburne pass) still count?
    I’ve thought about the same thing, the biggest logistical challenge is that you technically need a free permit from CT DEEP to camp overnight on the Mohawk. That said, maybe it would reassure the purists that some of the original USGS style A.T. markers are still in place on the Mohawk:

CAD2D053-C692-46AD-8BA5-157E739C5FDB.jpeg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++