WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 3 day/2 night loop recs out of Bryson City

Looking to take a 3 day, 2 night trip out of one of the Bryson City entrances this month. Curious if anyone had any thoughts or opinions on either or both of these possible itineraries.

Option 1 (Lakeview Drive)

Day 1 Lakeshore trail to White Oak to Forney Creek to cs #71 (CCC). 5 miles

Day 2 Springhouse Branch to cs #64 (Mill Creek). 7 miles

Day 3 Noland Creek back to Lakeview Drive. 4.1 miles + .7 mile road hike back to car

Option 2 (Deep Creek)

Day 1 - Indian Creek Trail to cs #46 (Estes Branch) (4ish miles)

Day 2 - Indian Creek to Martin's Gap to Pole Creek Rd to Noland Creek to cs #61 (Bald Creek) (7ish miles)

Day 3 - Noland Creek backtrack to Noland Divide down back to Deep Creek (8ish miles)

Would appreciate any feedback/opinions on the trails and campsites (and/or alternative loops). Along with the desire for a scenic hike/campsite, I also appreciate the historical value of certain trails (old homesites, chimneys, walls, etc). So feedback relevant to that on these trails/sites is also valued.

thanks!

On option #1 day 1 do the extra 1.2 miles up to site # 70 and then back track on day to the Springhouse Branch. Site 71 is a huge horse site with a chimney and is usaully full of horses and what they leave behind. 70 is a nice scenic site between two streams and is much more private.

On option #2 Day 2 site # 61 is not the best site in the park but has a nice stream. Last time I was ther it was full of trash and had a cooler full of trash hung from the bear cables.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Campsite #71 isn't very appealing, but I must say it is pretty large.
    The main problem I had with it the one night I stayed there during the summer were the bugs. I've never had such a problem with bees and bugs. Bugs in general were just biting left and right until you retreated to your tent. The bees had the terrible habit of crawling up the sleeve for my tent pole and I had to coax them back down.
    The night I stayed there, we were alone, so horses were not a problem.
    The site is pretty large so if there are horses, at least to don't have to snuggle up to one.

I would have never considered chelko's suggestion of moving along to #70. The hike between #70 and #71 isn't difficult. It's relatively level as it follows the creek. The Smokies Guide Book lists #70 as "heavily used" (but then it lists #71 as "overused"). But then again, the same book makes the trail between the two camp sites sound difficult, and I don't recall a bad trail.

I thought horses were no longer allowed.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    I thought horses were no longer allowed.
    Why do you say that?

The current back country map on the NPS web site shows horses allowed at both camp sites.

The trail between #71 and #70 is an old railroad grade. Very wide and almost flat about a 20 minute walk if you stop and enjoy the stream along the way. Well worth the little extra effort to have a nice site.

++ New Posts ++