WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Survival Kit ??? Yes / No ????

have been told all my life" Carry some sort of " survival kit..everywhere you hike. My current kit contains. firesteel, bandaids X2, needles,floss,whistle, super glue, 50ft black tarred string,goodys powders X4, Tampon ( Hey... it makes a awesome wound dressing) Pre-paid Debit card $25.00. Alot of this comes from being a boy scout for years and from being a Paramedic for several years as well. I have read hundreds of articals on the trail and pack list. I was wondering how many acctually carry one an those who dont. the ones who do ... whats in yours . mine is a plactic soap holder from the Walmart. weighs...4.4oz filled... I only have the luxury of section hiking.. ( untill I turn 52 and have my 30yr in...hahaha)....

Images

ziplock w/ 3 regular size bandaids, a half dozen 2x4 bandaids, moleskin,small tube of neosporin,single edge razor blade, couple of alcohol wipes, stormproof matches, cotton balls in small plastic baggies

sorry forgot about the 2 razor blades..... and 2 betadine wipes...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    ziplock w/ 3 regular size bandaids, a half dozen 2x4 bandaids, moleskin,small tube of neosporin,single edge razor blade, couple of alcohol wipes, stormproof matches, cotton balls in small plastic baggies
    You forgot screens

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    You forgot screens
    oh yeah screens. and zigzags

Images

Almost everything I carry is part of my survival kit. If something is missing, I may have a difficult time surviving.

Most of what you listed is part of a first aid kit. The whistle is the exception. If you cook, the firesteel is your fire starter.

As far as what is really needed, on the big trails, there's usually enough hikers around that will donate items from their own first aid kits. You may think you're hiking as an individual, but if you get hurt, fixing you up will very likely be a group affair. It's something to think about when you try to decide how much of a certain item you'll need.

Images

I took the snare wire out, and the waxed matches, and the signal mirror.

Images

i find the regular small size bandaids to be mostly useless, they sweat off too easily, so ive opted to carry the patch type bandaids instead

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I took the snare wire out, and the waxed matches, and the signal mirror.
    Curved needle for doing a Rambo.

I also downsize what I carry that was multipul... Firesteel used for lighting stove etc. I have used and will use super glue gel for large Lacerations, and cloth band aids wrapped with duct tape from my poles. and yep you guessed it floss and needle for sewing things up .. pack, tent, clothes, skin... ( I can do a mean running matress stitch )..most of the items in my pack have multi uses. But, being on the AT you are NEVER too far from others (unfortun). The only thing i would like to have is a mirror.. Only for medicl reasons.. ( can look in my own eye, or see how bad that Lac. on my head really is)..

cant use screens or zigzags.. quit smoking last JAN. .. no Weed since 1990...id rather have a shot of Wild Turkey 101

I have never understood why people keep bandaids in a "survival" kit. Those are for fixing ouchie boo boos, not keeping people alive. If saving lives is the goal, considering carrying a QuickClot pouch and maybe a CAT tourniquet (can be applied with one hand and weighs ~2oz).

I also find firesteels to be a bit mediocre. Think about the situations where you will "NEED" a fire - when you're cold, wet and hypothermic. That means it's probably cold, wet and windy outside, which means it would be tough to get a fire going with a firesteel even if you weren't shivering violently. A backup lighter and a couple firestarters seems like a better choice to me (WetFire cubes, Esbit, etc).

Images

Survival Kit (backpack)
    latex gloves
    roller gauze
    ibuprophen
    tums
    lancet (super sharp surgical needle)
    sharpie marker
    super glue
    duct tape (on poles or water bottle)
    pocket knife, cord, cell phone, cash, and everything else on board including liquor and possibly safety materials

if I'm guiding, I'll also have benedryl and epinephrine, and possibly steriods

Survival Kit (Car)
    All of the above stuff in the backpack plus
    Cable Style Snow Chains (to fit the 4-wheel drive Subaru) - in season
    Paramedic Jump Bag (First Aid Kit) - nasopharyngeal airway (NPT), Lactated Ringer's, Pain Meds, the works
    20M of 10mm climbing rope, carabiners and webbing - - can set up hauling system to tow things out of ditches, rivers, etc.
    2 Big Flashlights
    Flares
    Spare White Gas
    About 1 gallon of water
    bag of tools
    am/fm radio plus CB radio

Survival Kit (Home)
    all of the above plus about 1 month of food and water carboys, a well stocked liquor cabinet
    about 25 gallons of gasoline
    2 cans of white gas and a whole basement full of backpacking equipment
    a big tank of liquid propane and a few little tanks

no guns

Registered User Maddoxsjohnston's Avatar

All I have in terms of survival/first aid is moleskin, ibuprofen, duct tape, and flint+steel. Call me unprepared, but I have never needed anything more. I've found that mental preparedness is the best survival kit, especially on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa D View Post
    no guns
    I suppose you can use your hiking poles to fend off the zombies...

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57:1383260
    i find the regular small size bandaids to be mostly useless, they sweat off too easily, so ive opted to carry the patch type bandaids instead
    I like the foam bandaids best.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosaphone View Post
    That's what blue M&M's are for. Throw a pile on the ground to attract thru hikers for the zombies to feast on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosaphone View Post
    i might be a zombie

Journal Entries
    Images

Well Tharwood, if you come back later on - my take is its just walking Section or thru - most folks here take very little stock in survival as bugging out or off the well marked trail puts you back into civilization. From scouting to the AT Hosaphone and MaddoxsJ. are on to something here. What is great to learn as a kid, you will learn so much more here.

And then there is Papa D, are practicing to be a Dr. Prepper too? funny about the similarities in life.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Papa D has a pretty great list. I haven't carried one for year per say. Think about how you can improvise what you normally carry. I used to be an EMT, then I took a Woffer Course(Wilderness First Responder) Much of the training focused on using what you normally had. Foam pads for splints, hiking poles to make a traction splint. I always have duct tape when hiking wrapped around a fuel or water bottle. Floss makes great heavy duty repair thread. ETC. Check out SOLO http://www.soloschools.com/# or Nols http://www.nols.edu/ .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++