WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Alternate routes that shorten hiking time (and a few other questions)

I would absolutely love more than anything to hike the entire trail and take my time doing so. However, I go to a service academy and will have around 28 days of leave max this upcoming summer. I'm sure I could do the entire trail in that amount of time (I'm young, in shape, backpack ultralight, and can cover large distances), but coupling the hike along with travel logistics (flying in, getting to the trailhead, getting to an airport at the end, and flying out) means that I would be cutting it pretty damn close...and I'm not too comfortable doing that.

Are there any alternate routes that would shorten the trip by 3-5 days (or 50-100 miles) and still take me through the gorgeous Colorado scenery (or at least don't force me to have road march)?

On top of that, do I need any permits for this trip? Due to the nature of my leave, I won't know the month I would start the hike until 2-3 months beforehand, and won't know the exact day I can start the hike until a week beforehand. Can I just show up early in the morning and pick up a permit (like the JMT), or must I reserve one long beforehand?

Last, any ideas for logistics to/from the trailheads to airports? I'll likely be hiking from Denver to Durango and wouldn't mind literally going straight from the airport to the trailhead the day (or night) of.

Thanks guys!
    - George

Images

I don't know of any alternates that would shorten your hike, I think the old route around the Collegiate Peaks maybe a bit easier and could possibly save you some time but not much. If no other alternate is available maybe think about starting in Breckenridge, you wouldn't miss too much as the best of Colorado is further south in the San Juan's. That may be tough for you though because the trail starts pretty easy in the beginning and makes for a nice warm-up plus you would have to figure out how to get to Breckenridge. The only other thing I can think of is to skip a few sections of trail here and there but don't skip anything south of Creede.

You don't need any permits to hike.

I don't know of any cut-offs that save 100 miles but you could fly into DIA and take a shuttle to Breckenridge and shave 100 miles.

LOL.. sniped by Brian.

Here's some shuttle info.

http://www.allsummitcounty.com/trans...sportation.php

Check this out
    www.coloradotrail.org/

And

Check this Colorado nut job's site out. LOL

www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2

Go SOBO for a better adjustment to the altitude which you will HAVE to do considering where you are from. Minmize logistical time expenditures; getting to/from THs, resupply on trail, get resupply supported whenever possible, learn to break down/setup camp FAST, hike LONG hrs, go UL if that's your thing, hope for good weather(you don't have a HUGE window of CT thru-hikig opp and you said you don't know when you will have, MAYBE, a 28 day window AND even if you do have 28 days that time WILL NOT all be spent accumulating miles), BE IN shape BEFORE you hit the TH IF you decide on thruing it in a sub 25 day period, consider lopping off some miles on the Northern portion, perhaps start at Kenosha Pass or Breck as others have suggested, blah blah blah.

Read this. http://andrewskurka.com/how-to/how-t...ast-thru-hike/ I'd say, WITHOUT AN IOTA OF DOUBT, he knows how to do a FAST thru-hike! He wrote the book on it!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Getting to Breck is relatively easy via public transit or shuttles. The only problem is the altitude adjustment. Fwiw I did the CT (with some longer alt routes) in 20 days. I don't hike fast but do hike all day. Guess if you were motivated, a three week hike with some buffer days is very doable.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Since you asked about shaving 50-100 miles, I suggest starting at Kenosha Pass which means you skip the first (northernmost) 72 miles. You'll then reach the first high-level above-treeline portion of the CT at Georgia Pass which you would miss by starting SOBO at Breck. Some of my best wildflower photos were in that stretch.

Thanks for the answers guys! I'm hoping to do the whole trail, but if that falls short I'll probably end up starting in Breckenridge.

Can't figure out how to edit my post, but here's my tentative gear list:

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=10903

Quote Originally Posted by nsiderbam View Post
    Can't figure out how to edit my post, ...
    To learn how to edit, click here.

nsiderbam - You might consider the logistics of getting a isobutane stove if you need to. Colorado is still in a drought with less moisture so far this winter than last. Alcohol stoves were banned last year beginning on June 1st.

Ugh, that sucks. Do you know if wood stoves are allowed, such as the Backcountry Boiler?

edit: also, I have a wicked alcohol stove that goes out and doesn't spill fuel if it tips over. Not sure if that would make a difference with the law.
    Last edited by nsiderbam; 01-08-2013 at 19:31.

During a open fire ban, wood stoves are not allowed. Last year a huge wildfire was ignited in May by a hiker who left a beer can stove going. The USFS will issue restrictions, which may vary from district to district. On top of that, the individual counties will issue restrictions which may or may not be more rigorous that USFS.

Here is an example of a USFS restriction notice from last year. It is almost the same verbatim as the ones issued in other districts.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5374204.pdf

This link should get you USFS information this coming year.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72 BTFxdjAwjQL8h2VAQAlu7VZA!!/?ss=110212&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSE_003753& navid=120000000000000&pnavid=null&position=BROWSEB YSUBJECT&ttype=alerts&pname=Pike%20and%20San%20Isa bel%20National%20Forests,%20Cimarron%20and%20Coman che%20National%20Grasslands-%20Alerts%20&%20Notices

State/ County restrictions are here:

http://www.coemergency.com/p/fire-bans-danger.html

It's still possible that we will have a killer winter from here on out and this won't matter, but someone at USFS recently told me that they need two above average moisture years to get anywhere close to normal. Right now, they are planning on a a bad fire season.

Good info, thanks, bearcreek.

Here's another vote for starting from Breckenridge. I only hiked the first six segments into Breckenridge this past summer and was disappointed that I didn't really get to see the nice scenery on the trail. I kind of liked the burn area in Segment 2, though.

If you're at the Naval Academy, as you appear to be, you are young and fit, and should have no trouble completing the trail, including transportation to and from, in your 28 day leave. You live 3 feet above sea level, and the segments from Denver on up to the Divide will help you with acclimatization, something I suffered with last season. The CT entirely lacks impediments such as permits, etc., and hitches to and from trail towns and their splendid hostels are easy as can be. I'd certainly skip Creede and spend a night or two at the great hostel in Lake City, Raven's Rest. They have a good web site. There is a comprehensive, if somewhat expensive, grocery store in Lake City, as well as great restaurants, bars, etc. You'll need a good break by then! The Durango airport is served by United airlines, and they have several flights back to Denver every day- I flew back on a full MD 88 in mid-July 2012. Once in Denver you can hop a flight back to Baltimore/Washington/Annapolis almost any time of the day if you are running short on hours. Trail Journals has several accounts of hikes last year- mine is there, and I am one of the very slowest hikers! You might enjoy reading it, and don't miss Cookerhiker's account of his 2011 trip.

I'll second the Lake City Hostel - Ravens Rest - idea. Wasn't a hard hitch from the pass either this fall during leaf peeper season. The hostel is run by a super friendly couple who are both owners and hosts that are former thru-hikers so know what hikers need and want. It's conveniently located in town too. Check out the room in the cafe/coffee shop right next door with all the quotes hand written on the walls.

++ New Posts ++