WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Socks!

Default Socks!

So, in a Thunderdome-style cage match fight to-the-death between Darn Tough and Wigwam Merino hiking socks, who wins?

I have two pairs of both, and like both quite a bit, but have never done any hiking over about 3 miles with either pair. Any idea which pair lasts longer getting abused day in and day out? (I plan on taking two pair for hiking, and another pair of thick wool hunting-style socks for in-camp)
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Images

Darn Tough wins feet down.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    darn tough wins feet down.
    ditto...................
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

AT - 2013 PCT - 2014
    Journal Entries

Default Agreed

Agreed. No comparison. I do use wigwam sometimes for work because I have a couple thick pair. If it's not 0 degrees out I wear the thinner Darn tough.

Wigwam will wear through the toe... and Darn Tough will replace if worn out.

Also forget the camp ones.. two pairs works fine... one for hiking and one in case you melt your hiking pair while trying to dry them (or i guess any other reason... oops).

Two pairs is plenty - here is why... you wear one pair - it gets wet - that means your shoes are wet... so why put on a spare pair that will be wet again right after. Just rinse the ones your wearing out and put them back on, they dry quick. The handy time they some in is if your shoes dry over night... then put on the the spare and hang the other ones off your pack to dry during your hike. Constant rotation. At camp... you want to wear camp sandals and let your feet air out. if needed you throw on that spare pair. And if its cold.. does not matter... once you get in camp you make dinner quickly and then set up your camp which means you could be chilling inside your bag - warm.
    ------------------------------------
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    ~Robert Frost

Why wear 3 pairs. Because wet feet are more prone to getting blisters then dry ones. Swap out between 2 pairs in an attempt to keep your feet dry throughout the day while letting the 2nd pair dry on your backpack. Don't wear your socks or shoe liners across a water ford when fording in your shoes; your shoes will dry quicker. When its raining don't bother swapping socks. The 3rd pair is for sleeping in. Nothing nicer then having dry socks to wear to bed.

I like thin socks as your feet don't sweet as much, your feet stay drier, and the socks dry faster.

miner - although true of more prone when wet - that is easily controlled with proper shoe fit. Also fording rivers with bare feet is VERY dangerous on the trail. You risk your toes and exposed feet, I would much rather wet feet for a few hours until they dry. Many people sleep in socks but it does not let the feet air out as well. Through my thru hike last year I only got two blisters (one big one on my heal, and a tiny one on middle toe). Otherwise I never had any problems and those only lasted a week at most.
    ~Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Darn Tough wins feet down.
    Can't say it better than that. Many things in my pack are preference and debatable. 3 things are not even close: 1) Darn Tough socks. 2) Packa 3) Rite in the Rain journal.

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman9 View Post
    miner - although true of more prone when wet - that is easily controlled with proper shoe fit. Also fording rivers with bare feet is VERY dangerous on the trail. You risk your toes and exposed feet, I would much rather wet feet for a few hours until they dry. Many people sleep in socks but it does not let the feet air out as well. Through my thru hike last year I only got two blisters (one big one on my heal, and a tiny one on middle toe). Otherwise I never had any problems and those only lasted a week at most.
    I think you misunderstood me. I said remove your shoes insoles and take your socks off when crossing a ford while wearing your shoes (ie. not in your bare feet which I agree is often not a good idea) because your shoes will dry faster if the insoles and socks are already dry when you put them back in the now wet shoe on the other side of the ford. Also, I did't even get 1 blisters doing what I recommended about swapping socks.

Ah yes, that is a good point - i did not bother ... haha when i went through maine it was under water anyways... spent the entire time with very wet feet.
    ~Robert Frost

Serial Hiker
    Images

Darn Tough Vermont, best made socks ever.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Because wet feet are more prone to getting blisters then dry ones.
    That makes sense, and I'm very inclined to believe, and I might even say the same thing, but I haven't personally found that to be the case.

Images

Oh, and my recommendation is for the DarnTough socks for the warranty if you can and will take advantage of the warranty.

Images

Anyone ever tried Fits? I just got a pair. Merino wool. They seem pretty good but I haven't field tested them yet.
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Miami Joe View Post
    Anyone ever tried Fits? I just got a pair. Merino wool. They seem pretty good but I haven't field tested them yet.
    I have two pair, the stretch is a little too tight for me, they squeeze my toes together too much.

I have some Darn Tough socks and I have no doubt about the durability but they are woven too tight for me, no cushion in the sole. The most comfortable sock I've used to date are Smartwool, and it's a certain style, don't know what they're called but they are different from other Smartwool socks I've tried, they have a lot of cushion, but not bulky, and they have stretch to keep them from bunching up under foot...hate that.

I believe you are speaking of the PhD socks drybones - they are amazing. I hiked the trail in smartwool's, I loved them. I wish I could use them now in the military but they do not appear to make any just green ones... stinks... so i am going darn tuff now.
    ~Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I have some Darn Tough socks and I have no doubt about the durability but they are woven too tight for me, no cushion in the sole. The most comfortable sock I've used to date are Smartwool, and it's a certain style, don't know what they're called but they are different from other Smartwool socks I've tried, they have a lot of cushion, but not bulky, and they have stretch to keep them from bunching up under foot...hate that.
    Do you have the full-cushion socks from Darn Tough, or a different model with less cushion?

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman9 View Post
    I believe you are speaking of the PhD socks drybones - they are amazing. I hiked the trail in smartwool's, I loved them. I wish I could use them now in the military but they do not appear to make any just green ones... stinks... so i am going darn tuff now.
    You jogged my memory (and that's hard to do)...I believe they are PhD socks...I wear them every day at the gym but believe I'll stash a pair just for hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Do you have the full-cushion socks from Darn Tough, or a different model with less cushion?
    I dont know what model they are...they are hiking socks I got at an outfitters, very tight weave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++