WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Kids, I will put you in time out! Now shake hands and play in the sandbox haha and GG no problem, I love my job. It is definitely very challenging and my training has just begun. It will keep me on my toes for sure, a huge change from the trail!
    ------------------------------------
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    ~Robert Frost

1. Did you need the 50 ft of paracord, how often did you bear bag?
    2. I'm leaving April 8th going NOBO and have a marmot helium 15 degree down bag, I know it's probably overkill but am I going to regret this warm of a bag? The only other bag I have is a sierra nevada 45 degree down, I just didn't want to buy yet another sleeping bag.
    3. If you had the GoPro HD video camera how come your youtube video (which I really liked by the way) is only 480p?
    4. In your clothing I see you only had 1 tshirt and a down jacket, no mid layer, did that work out okay?

Quote Originally Posted by poizster View Post
    1. Did you need the 50 ft of paracord, how often did you bear bag?
    2. I'm leaving April 8th going NOBO and have a marmot helium 15 degree down bag, I know it's probably overkill but am I going to regret this warm of a bag? The only other bag I have is a sierra nevada 45 degree down, I just didn't want to buy yet another sleeping bag.
    3. If you had the GoPro HD video camera how come your youtube video (which I really liked by the way) is only 480p?
    4. In your clothing I see you only had 1 tshirt and a down jacket, no mid layer, did that work out okay?
    1. It came in handy - not really for bear hangs though. The honest truth is I rarely saw one and only hung a bag maybe 6-7 times... the rest of the time hikers just hang them in their shelter or there is a designated spot like in SNP or a box as with other sections. It is to much work and hikers are impressively lazy. The bear is surely not going to come into a shelter and eat everyone to get to a bag (at least i have not read of it happening yet). If i tented out away from a shelter though i did hang it mainly to prevent mice from getting to it.

2. I think its a great choice. Not sure on the weight but it should be fine. On April 23rd it was freezing and i was breaking trail in snow... ya never know. I would say early to mid May is a safe bet to switch to your summer bag, but make sure your past the smokies before you even think of that one. Its always nice to not have to sleep with everything you own on. Being your summer bag is a 45 bag I would prob wait until June to switch out.

3. I saved it at a setting to keep the file size down a bit. If someone is really really itching to see it in higher I am sure I can satisfy them. A lot of the pictures were with my touch phone, or camera before I lost it (pre harpers ferry is all i have, the rest are sitting in a river somewhere).

4. Worked out great.. for me. I had my t-shirt, down coat, rain coat (later switched out for a poncho). It was perfect. If i was cold in camp i put on the puffy... If i was cold at night I went to bed. In the morning if i was cold I would move faster and get moving. If i was cold during the day I would hike faster or throw on the rain coat (unzipped) and that would warm me up quite nicely without sweating since i left it unzipped. I never had any regrets about my clothing attire. Some days were obviously a little uncomfortable, but that was few and far between. Usually I was very content. I would not carry anything extra for that rare day like april 23rd when i snowed and i froze my butt off for a day.
    ~Robert Frost

Great post Bomber. ! question: How come your hair always looks so neat & trimmed? I swear I saw that same rattle snake. About 15 miles south of Port Clinton.

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman9 View Post
    1. It came in handy - not really for bear hangs though. The honest truth is I rarely saw one and only hung a bag maybe 6-7 times... the rest of the time hikers just hang them in their shelter or there is a designated spot like in SNP or a box as with other sections. It is to much work and hikers are impressively lazy. The bear is surely not going to come into a shelter and eat everyone to get to a bag (at least i have not read of it happening yet). If i tented out away from a shelter though i did hang it mainly to prevent mice from getting to it.

2. I think its a great choice. Not sure on the weight but it should be fine. On April 23rd it was freezing and i was breaking trail in snow... ya never know. I would say early to mid May is a safe bet to switch to your summer bag, but make sure your past the smokies before you even think of that one. Its always nice to not have to sleep with everything you own on. Being your summer bag is a 45 bag I would prob wait until June to switch out.

3. I saved it at a setting to keep the file size down a bit. If someone is really really itching to see it in higher I am sure I can satisfy them. A lot of the pictures were with my touch phone, or camera before I lost it (pre harpers ferry is all i have, the rest are sitting in a river somewhere).

4. Worked out great.. for me. I had my t-shirt, down coat, rain coat (later switched out for a poncho). It was perfect. If i was cold in camp i put on the puffy... If i was cold at night I went to bed. In the morning if i was cold I would move faster and get moving. If i was cold during the day I would hike faster or throw on the rain coat (unzipped) and that would warm me up quite nicely without sweating since i left it unzipped. I never had any regrets about my clothing attire. Some days were obviously a little uncomfortable, but that was few and far between. Usually I was very content. I would not carry anything extra for that rare day like april 23rd when i snowed and i froze my butt off for a day.
    Thanks for the in depth responses, very informative. The helium bag is one of the lighter 15 degree down bags at 36 oz. If it was a bulky 3.5 lb. I would definitely bite the bullet and buy another bag specifically for the AT.

One more question, have you found it nearly impossible to maintain your body weight after the AT?

Fins- Thank you, anything I can do to help is great. Trail talk is amazing! However, the people I am with around here do not understand it or appreciate it, so this is my escape. Ha. That rattlesnake was just north of Duncannon, not far out from it if I recall. I did not want to make the video to long.. but the snake actually strikes the camera. The rat snake at the end though is epic... did you see it? Or did you stop the video? ha. Right at the end. The full video is nearly a minute long where it strikes around 6 times directly on the camera. Good stuff

Poi- No problems I hope it helps. Body weight.... i lost a lot on the trail and directly after I joined the military and went to bootcamp and now am in a year long tech school with has a higher expectations for PT due to the career field i am in. That helps, but i do still notice that it fluctuates somewhat easily, trying to get that under control.

Oh and my hair... haha I never shaved on the trail. I did get one haircut though in harpers ferry - i did not want long hair due to hygiene and ticks. Otherwise just the general cleaning and stuff. I tried to wash up daily with a stream (down stream from the trail) or a pond to rinse my face. I never went swimming while on the trail, I think i stood in water maybe half dozen times. Party because the water was WAY to cold... and after NH is when our good friend Parkside drowned, so it was just avoided. I tried to find a shower once or twice a week, sometimes that did not work out though. When i would rinse off on the trail I never used soap as i did not want to carry it, I would rinse my shirt off also though. Another good trick is when you stop at a gas station go in the bathroom and rinse off but also wash your shirt in the sink - sometimes even your socks A handful of soap and some hot water does wonders!! Just do this discreetly so the owners do not get upset - please be respectful though and always clean up and make some kind of purchase (good time to switch out that dirty dasani water bottle) or just JUNK FOOD!!
    ~Robert Frost

What other questions do people have?? Come on!!! Bring on the questions!
    ~Robert Frost

hello?? where did everyone go?
    ~Robert Frost

I'm here Bomber... I don't have any questions right now but I love seeing your thread title.. it makes me smile every time. If you want some action go to the Cafe... just sayin.

PS... the underwear thread is a hot one too!! You could "share" if you like... LOL.

nice - but trail talk is better!!! (Pouts)

there are plenty of new threads being made with questions - come play in here instead!! haha
    ~Robert Frost

OK... I'll ask u some questions... did you tent, hammock or neither?

tented for the beginning... then had a tarp tent if needed - but shelter hopped. Thanks!
    ~Robert Frost

Ok ... cool. What was the worst experience you ever had in a shelter? other hikers? critters? Or were your shelter experiences non eventful?

Images

Bomber, Friday nights are not always the most lively of times on here. Lots of people head out for the weekend.

Me for example, I am hitting the rack right now, heading out to snickers gap in the morning for a hike down to Rod Hollow with my son.

Have fun while your in training, and be safe.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    OK... I'll ask u some questions... did you tent, hammock or neither?
    You are way to nice for this place HikerMom

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Bomber, Friday nights are not always the most lively of times on here. Lots of people head out for the weekend.

Me for example, I am hitting the rack right now, heading out to snickers gap in the morning for a hike down to Rod Hollow with my son.

Have fun while your in training, and be safe.

That's true.. have a great hike with ur son tomorrow!

hahaha fayer - alright i do have a life... was just causing some shenanigans for a second on here. I know no worries - it was a good excuse to bump this thread back up though...

and Mommy - lets see... well it was a certain hiker that was the most interesting... i forget his trail name i would have to read back to find it.. he was well interesting... lets just give the end result of he was taken off the trail.... ha. However, the mice are fun! They are amusing to watch - the best was at a hut (carter dome hut) they were early in their season. They were still getting cleaned up and stuff - which meant mouse traps nightly to rid the place of the issue - since i is bad with guest... makes sense. well AMS woke up with a dead mouse in a mouse trap.. in his sleeping bag.. it was priceless to see him jump and freak out. what happened was it was up in the rafters and fell when it went off.. his bag was open and it landed in it and then he rolled so it was bundled up in it. Funny stuff - I did not care for people with mousetraps on the trail - but in a hut where there is food i can understand the need.
    ~Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman9 View Post
    hahaha fayer - alright i do have a life... was just causing some shenanigans for a second on here. I know no worries - it was a good excuse to bump this thread back up though...

and Mommy - lets see... well it was a certain hiker that was the most interesting... i forget his trail name i would have to read back to find it.. he was well interesting... lets just give the end result of he was taken off the trail.... ha. However, the mice are fun! They are amusing to watch - the best was at a hut (carter dome hut) they were early in their season. They were still getting cleaned up and stuff - which meant mouse traps nightly to rid the place of the issue - since i is bad with guest... makes sense. well AMS woke up with a dead mouse in a mouse trap.. in his sleeping bag.. it was priceless to see him jump and freak out. what happened was it was up in the rafters and fell when it went off.. his bag was open and it landed in it and then he rolled so it was bundled up in it. Funny stuff - I did not care for people with mousetraps on the trail - but in a hut where there is food i can understand the need.
    Ha Ha!! That's just send chills up my spine... I freak out about mice when they are alive 2.. but dead in my bag? Did you write about this in your journal? I'm going to start reading your journal 2 nite from the beginning... I'm sure I can ask better questions after I do that. Later Bomber.... you are soo nice!!

bfayer... thanks for the kind words!

I read your journal up to Harper's Ferry... interesting journal, Bomber. My fav. stories so far were the bear encounter, sleeping deer and falling limb. The amount of trail magic was also amazing!! WOW!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++