WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What to expect starting Feb.20 going NOBO

Hello,I plan on doing a NOBO thru hike this year, I want to avoid the huge crowds but also want to meet other fellow hikers out on the trail. I thought about starting mid april but I feel like that would be cutting it to close seeing how I would like to have a little spare time in case of an emergency or something. I am just wondering what kind of weather and crowds to expect if I start around Feb. 20th-25th. Thanks.

Images

you can expect snow, ice, rain, sun, wind, hail with days ranging from 20-50 degrees and nights from 0-40 degrees. dress accordingly
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    you can expect snow, ice, rain, sun, wind, hail with days ranging from 20-50 degrees and nights from 0-40 degrees. dress accordingly
    you should not expect too much snow and ice - - you should, however be prepared for some - - rarely will it get to single digits in north GA by February 20 but it could. I think it is an EXCELLENT time to start because you get out ahead of the pack and avoid a lot of shelter overcrowding. I'd say that you should prepare for some light snow and ice at higher elevations, cold rain and very cool nights - - mostly in the 20s and 30s. You should have rain gear, fleece sweater, a down jacket or down sweater, and at least a bag rated to 5 degrees (probably down). Should make it to the Great Smokey Mountain National Park in about 20 days from your start (March 10th or so) - - you will still be dodging some cold weather and even likely snow in the smokies so you should keep the cold weather stuff but by the time you exit the Smokies and get to Erwin, TN and (later) Damascus, VA, you should experience smooth sailing and happy times knowing that you are ahead of the pack. You could also freeze your asse off and have to stop at more hostels and hotels for hot showers (if their water isn't frozen) - - starting early is truthfully a crap shoot - - I'd say it's a good gamble and likely to pay off.

Images

Not many thru's start that early, so if your thing is to avoid the crowds ...,hike on and enjoy near solitude.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Brian, Google trailjournals.com, and read a few with the start dates that you picked. Weather cannot always be predicted, but you'll get an idea of what to expect.
    Welcome to WhiteBlaze, enjoy.

Images

johnnybgood is right - - last year I "put" an aspiring thru hiker on the trail (he made it halfway - the PA/NJ line) - his name was TOMP - nice guy. Anyway, I hiked from Amicalola to Neels and found every shelter (and tent site around) to be a zoo (this was in April) - - if you start in March, you're better off, if you start in February, yes, you'll be cold, go slower, have to stop more, etc. but the rewards of smooth uncrowded sailing ahead will be really worth it (I think). When I thru hike again (won't be too long), I will probably start in mid February.

"... and at least a bag rated to 5 degrees "
    Of course opinions vary, but IMO that's a bit excessive. I started in late Feb in 2010, and used a 20F rated bag until I got to Pearisburg, where I swapped for a 32F bag (and that was about the right place for the swap). Mind you, I had a good quality 20F bag, so more honestly rated, and I wore down booties and a down parka inside the bag on a number of nights. 2010 was a relatively high snow year in the south, but my own experience was that the coldest temps got to were in the upper teens. Still --- brrr. Coldest I've been on any long distance trip.

It's helpful to have some sort of traction for icy stretches, but you can do without. Usual caveats about water (and water filter, hoses) freezing at night, and footwear freezing too; you would be well served to have some winter hiking experience under your belt. Lots of snow for me in the Smokies, and our year at least there were lots and lots of blowdowns to slow things down, pretty much until we got into Virginia. Navigation can be a bit more of a challenge with a lot of snow on the trail, so again --- having some experience is a good thing before starting the trip in Feb.

"you can expect snow, ice, rain, sun, wind, hail ..."
    I personally encountered no hail on the AT (quite a bit on the CDT). What I think might be underrated for an early NOBO start on the AT is wind: cold wind. Definitely think about being out in that all day when you plan your active (while hiking) clothing layers. Earbags and a relatively light hat worked well for me, layered thin gloves and thick mittens. I liked using a windshirt and synthetic (thermawrap) vest combination while walking, but there are a lot of alternatives that work well, just based on your own metabolism and preferences. For me personally the old adage of adjusting layers in winter to avoid sweating just doesn't really work; the great thing about being in thru-hiker condition is that you can adjust pace to just keep up a steady metabolic heat output.

Lots of issues, and this particular case (starting in Feb) has been discussed quite a lot in multiple threads on this site already, so do search for those. The default search on this site works so-so for me; often I find a domain-constrained google search works better, FWIW.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Thank you guys for all the input, Definately something to think about. BrianLE, thats a good point about cold wind, I have hiked in cold wind before and if wasnt that fun, What type of clothing do you guys suggest for wind? Something that will block the wind but that wont make me sweat alot. Thanks.

Images

29 Feb 2012 start: above average temps BUT - several nights of below freezing temps. Hail twice - once while hiking during a t-storm, once at night in the Smokies.

I was promised snow in the Smokies - never happened. Had snow on 23 Apr, just outside Damascus.

LOTS of cold wind from the west and of course, it seemed as if every ridge trail was on the west side of whatever mountain! Wore a fleece cap, my BDU quilted insert backwards over my front (pack kept my back warm), fleece mitts (with finger flap open), and every now and then my rain pants, vented with the zips half-way down. I always wore convertible pants. Never took the legs off, just opened up the knee zips when hot.

Good luck.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Last year was a warm winter. This year, it doesn't look so. Be prepared!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian3211 View Post
    Thank you guys for all the input, Definately something to think about. BrianLE, thats a good point about cold wind, I have hiked in cold wind before and if wasnt that fun, What type of clothing do you guys suggest for wind? Something that will block the wind but that wont make me sweat alot. Thanks.
    Uncoated nylon windpants and jacket (preferably hooded).

I hope you have lots of experience hiking in snow, sleet, and freezing rain. You'll run into that a lot, and if you're not used to it you'll find yourself waiting out bad weather in trailside towns spending time and money in hostels and hotels while the "crowds" catch up to you.

It should be quite an adventure for you. Enjoy it.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian3211 View Post
    most people generate pretty good heat when hiking - - you will certainly need rain pants and they would be a fine base layer with smartwool socks and hiking shoes - on colder days, I wear tights under my rain pants (and save the long-johns for camp and sleeping) - - you also need a good rain jacket and a fleece or wool sweater and a fleece or wool cap. Generating heat though, you may find that even if the day is in the high 30s to low 40s that just a long sleeve t-shirt is plenty on top if you stay moving.

Images

I have done a lot of hiking in Ga and NC in Feb and the wind will be a given. I hike very warm and almost always wore, lightweight baselayer, wind shirt with hood, normal REI Sahara hiking pants, fleece gloves, bandana and visor, trail runners and a lightweight pair of Wrightsocks. Remember, I hike warm and rarely stop so YMMV.

Will starting between feb.27-29th make any sort of difference? And what do most of you guys do with your vehicle while hiking if you have nobody to drive it every so often. I don't really want to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Uncoated nylon windpants and jacket (preferably hooded).

I hope you have lots of experience hiking in snow, sleet, and freezing rain. You'll run into that a lot, and if you're not used to it you'll find yourself waiting out bad weather in trailside towns spending time and money in hostels and hotels while the "crowds" catch up to you.

It should be quite an adventure for you. Enjoy it.
    I'm replying to and adding to my above post. Re: rain pants - they will hold in whatever sweat you produce. I avoid hiking in rain pants unless it is uncomfortably cold. If you choose to do so, your condensed sweat on the inside of the rain pants will chill your skin if it contacts it, and it will impart moisture into a base layer if you wear that underneath.

Another thing about breathable windpants - in cool weather (not below freezing, generally) they make fine pants for sleeping if they are clean enough). A second pair can be brought in lieu of a base layer in warmer months. Use them for sleeping only, and hike in another pair or in shorts, and you can wear them while you do your laundry and resupply in town. A quick wipe with a "baby wipe" (moist towelette which can be dried at home and rehydrated on the trail) before donning your sleep wear will keep it stink free (or, at least, less stinky) longer.

Imo, rain pants are for rain, sleet, and snow in cold weather. A "rain skirt" (make your own from a trash bag or buy one made from silnylon) is preferable in warmer weather. When it gets warm enough to go shirtless, rainwear is generally optional, depending upon altitude and windchill. Ymmv, of course.
    Last edited by Tinker; 01-05-2013 at 13:47.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++