WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

I'm going south bound in June 2014. Way exited, but going to be broke all year paying off credit card and squirreling away necessary money. Will be so worth it

Hi Rosebud, sure you can hike with me and my step daughter "pepper". I really have no set date, I thought about April just because it would be warmer, March is fine. I will be using one of those pen water purifiers, weighs little to nothing. I always think it is smart to hitch hike in pairs or a group, too much can happen. March is good, my brother David also passed away in march, I use to call him BA Baby Face Nelson, so I am taking that name as my trail name. You can e-mail me at [email protected] if you have any questions. Pepper and I are planning 3 hikes this summer in the Sawtooths.

Professional Wanderer and Seeker Left Hand's Avatar

For all of those asking about the informal FB Group for 2014, here is the link: http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/56380495208/

Enjoy the excitement and anticipation!
    I never saw a wild thing
    sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen from a bough without ever having
    felt sorry for itself.
    D.H. Lawrence

Thank you!!

It's painful to post here, my trip was suppose to happen to this year. But...life happened, I won't let it happen next year.

That said, I will be leaving on my bicycle from Long Beach during the first week of Jan 1 2014, I will arrive in Georgia right around Mid march. From there, It's just a quick 2100 mile jaunt to my ultimate destination.

I'll be taking a quick vacation out that way this year to see a few friends and provide as much trail magic as I can muster!

Waiting for the next 12 months to fly by!

Wow! Riding a bike from Long View to Georgia, you're my super hero!! I would love to do something like that!! How many miles a day will you be riding? You will have great hiker legs by then. It will be close to a year all-n-all with the ride and hike, way cool!!

Hello! I'll be hiking NOBO in 2014. I'm taking a gap year before college to thru hike. Super excited for this, and to meet my fellow 2014ers of course!

What kind of tents is the clas of 2014 using? I'm going with the EchoII, 2 person tarp tent, less than 2 lbs . My old back won't carry too much weight, going to trim everywhere.

I guess the class of 2014 is excited about their hike!! As with all forums and websites the more we know, the better we will be prepared, the better our hike will be. I am really hoping the class of 2014 will have more thru hikers and more that complete it!! Thanks for the info.

I'm in for 2014. 13.5 months and counting.

Yes! So far I am going solo and have no experience, I am hoping to meet up with someone or at least find someone to start with me!

I''m planning on heading NOBO, leaving sometime in March '14. I'll be bringing my dog with me. As of now, I'll be solo and wouldn't mind some canine-friendly companionship!

I am tentatively planning a 2014. I tried in 2011 but got off after 650 miles due to family stuff. If I hike in '14, it will be a NOBO in mid April or SOBO around June 1st. Haven't decided yet.

For anyone worried about starting alone or hitch-hiking alone, don't fret. If you start between about the beginning of March and mid April, there will be more people hiking (and Camping) around you than you will care for. As an example, my first night (Springer Mtn) in 2011 saw about 15-20 thru hikers, a church group of about 50, and a college group of about 75 all camped around the shelter. Every shelter for the first couple of weeks was similar (15-20 thru hikers).

Journal Entries

I too am seriously working on a 2014 AT thru-hike. I'm thinking of doing the Pinhoti first and then continue on with the AT, probably starting in mid Feb. All I need to do is stay healthy and prepare.

I hope to join the class of 2014 as well, but I'm not 100% I can come along just yet. I have almost all of my gear and can't wait to get on the trail!
    “It is when we notice the dirt that God is most present in us; it is the very sign of His presence.” -C.S. Lewis

Planning on mid to late march NOBO. Can't wait. Hope it all works out. Good luck to everyone.

I'm planning a 2014 NOBO hike starting sometimes between March and April (I'm retired so my timing is flexible). Looking for someone from Birmingham or Tuscaloosa Alabama area that plans to go in 2014 so we could get together or talk about the hike.

Images

Most likely you will never be hitching into town alone, there will be other hikers wanting to hitch a ride too, you will never be alone too long on the trail

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++