WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Where is class of 2014?

Anyone planning for a 2014 hike?

Linder,
    Hi there, I was hopping to see a thread for the class of 2014. I am planning on being part of this class, although I have a lot to learn. Will you be attempting as well? I am very excited to start planning this amazing adventure but at the same time, I am extremely nervous, I will be starting alone and while I am looking forward to the challenge and independence, I am scared.

Ps. Your join date is my birth date!!

We're here. There was a thread awhile ago and there is also a group on Facebook, Appalachian Trail Class of 2014.

I plan on being part of class 2014 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by linder View Post
    Anyone planning for a 2014 hike?
    Not sure if I'll be able to make it happen for 2014, but I'm going to try!

Hi Rosebud, I am doing the whole AT starting in April 2014. I have started working out, due to my age I don't want to get left behind. I am really interested in the Vermont section (my family came from Vermont, I was born in N.H. )

I've looked for that thread and did not find it, so just started a new one. Very exciting to know its just a year away!!

You know Rosebud you can always start out with other hikers and then when you are ready you can go on your own, from what I read, you're never truly alone on the trail. Not sure of your start date but you are welcome to hike with me.

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

It's my plan; as long as I can get my house finally paid off this year, I'm in!

I'm planning on a thru in 2014! I'll be making many sacrifices in order to make it happen, but I can't wait!

Hi Austin, I grew up in El Paso. Well this trip is going to be great! My trail name is BA Baby Face Nelson, the BA stands for bad ass, it was a name I called my brother before he was killed. I am looking for a second job so I can have everything paid off when I go, or else I would have to wait a year, and I really don't want to wait. When do you plan on starting in 2014?

To find the thread search the posts using 2014 as a keyword. It was started by alaska moose, 04-05-2011 12:51.

I'll look for it again, thanks

I'm also hiking the AT in 2014. Who is this other 30 year old Austinite planning to hike at the same time? Austin2014, Are you me? :-)

Linder, I'm planning to start in March or April. Don't know yet! Bonsai, what a small world! Glad I won't be the only Austinite out on the trail!

The class of 2014 will be made of Texans! Giddy up!

Quote Originally Posted by Sevsa View Post
    We're here. There was a thread awhile ago and there is also a group on Facebook, Appalachian Trail Class of 2014.
    Hey there, I have been looking on Facebook and can't seem to find it, can you send the link by any chance?

Linder, I think what I am mainly concerned about is the hitch hiking way of life that is necessary when thru hiking. Being a young woman, I just don't want to be put in a vulnerable position.. I am planning on taking self defense classes but it still is nerve racking. I would love to start with you, what pace do you plan to start with? And I know you said you wanted to start in April, is that negotiable? I was thinking of starting march 14th. I had a close friend pass in 2011 and March 14 is his birthday.

Has anyone figured out what technique will be used to purify their water. I was originally thinking a filter but I am worried about failure and weight. Now I am leaning towards drops but I am afraid that some sources are to shallow to collect without a filter.

Lastly, any remarks on making/ using a alcohol stove? It seems like a gret way to says on weight/money as well but I have never used/ made one.

Rosebud, as a female, I'm also concerned about hitchhiking and never plan to hitch alone. I'm also planning on taking self defense classes before I go. Mainly for my own peace of mind and that of my parents'. I will be 32 when I hit the trail, but I'm still their baby and they keep joking that they are going to send a helicopter to fly over me during my hike. I was tentatively thinking about starting on March 15 or so, so maybe we could meet up. I feel like it's far too early for me to nail down my plans in that much detail just yet, but it's a thought! See you on the trail!

P.S. I can't find the Facebook group either.

Journal Entries

My husband and I will be out there with y'all. We're from Georgia and we also plan on starting March/April. We hope to see everyone out there!!!
    Katie
    Gimp AT 2001
    ~900 miles

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon, U.S. writer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++