WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Appalachian Trail chaplain to hit the trail in 2013 - Examiner.com

Appalachian Trail chaplain to hit the trail in 2013
    Examiner.com
    Breaking on thedailytimes.com news site, the first ever First Methodist Chaplain to hit the trail on a mission to bring religion and spirituality to trail hikers from Georgia to Maine. According to the church's Facebook page, he is called the ...

More...

**GAG**

I hope this is a one-year-only thing. At least from what I've seen it's easy to avoid folks.

Images

From the article:

"So what do you think of this idea of a roving trail chaplain for the United Methodist church?"

Good opportunity for witnessing if he doesn't overdo it and will take "NO" for an answer.

"Would you want to be approached by a religious chaplain while on your AT hike? "

Good opportunity for witnessing if he doesn't overdo it and will take "NO" for an answer.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

I think this is a pretty cool thing...what better time to discuss religion than in the great outdoors? I agree though...as long as he's not pushy and annoying I think it could be a great opportunity. Most Methodists (I'm one myself) are pretty chill and not very pushy when it comes to evangelism...hope he gets a lot of good discussions in without pissing people off.
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

OK, I'm a practicing Catholic, confession, weekly Mass the whole thing and I can testify that I have NO problem finding religion or spirituality on the AT. It's actually one of the most significantly spiritual activities that I do.
    I'm not trying to detract from what he's doing but if you're hiking and you're not finding some sort of spirituality, there might be other issues in your life you need to work on.

Images

I don't mind at all, as long as he doesn't mind sharing the trail with a pagan.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Karma13 View Post
    I don't mind at all, as long as he doesn't mind sharing the trail with a pagan.
    One of my best friends overseas was a pagan!!! When we met, he asked me what I knew about paganism and all I could think of was the movie "Dragnet" and the scene with the goat boys dancing. We had a lot of discussions about it. I'm a born-again Christian, by the by.

We agreed on most things.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

We agreed on most things.
    Nice!

I hang out with people with a lot of different religious backgrounds (and also 'spiritual but not religious'). I have to say, at the root of most of them is a good deal of wisdom to be learned.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I've met many religious people in the woods and I've never felt unduly pressured by any of them. Contrast that to the way people spit invective on, say, yellow-blazers and cell-phone users. Even if this preacher is heavy on the evangelism, he won't be nearly the most offensive proselytizer on the trail.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Great Idea. I have never found anyone on the trail who objected to me saying grace out loud before a meal around a campfire. Most of the time I have a few folks to say thank you. Hope to meet him on one of my section hikes. AMEN

Talk about a scam - thier gonna give this kid $11,300 to hike the trail. Bless thier gullable hearts.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I agree with Scrub Hiker

Best bet for saving souls on the AT is pizza and beer. With 11 grand, he should do just fine!

Images

Politics and religion should never be pushed on people on the trail. I go to the trail to get away from all that stuff.
    Long Trail 8/12, AT SOBO 2013, https://www.youtube.com/user/Polechar/videos

Unbelievable...just like religion....I will now have to research the lightest weight custard pies just in case I run into his or any other preachers...

Journal Entries
    Images

Along with the spirituality, will he come equipped with trail magic like most of the other spiritual folk peddling their messages in the southern part of the trail? If so, bring him on.

As long as it's direct and clear, and a "no thank you" ends the discussion, then all is good. Luring with food and then surprise proselytizing, or continuing to pressure after one states his lack of interest, are reprehensible practices as far as I am concerned.

Save it for church.
    Leave us alone.
    I definitely would not feel comfortable discussing my religious beliefs with a paid salesman of Christianity.
    Nor would I with equivalent Muslims.
    I could see myself discussing it perhaps with Buddhists or some Hindu Sadhus. They are usually much less one-sided in their beliefs.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Wow, some get so irritated....he's just a man, nothing more. I wish him well.

Let me state I am a former roman catholic, who is now a confirmed atheist.

When I used to lead hikes for the AMC, on AT in MA. In my little speech I would tell folks" I am not restricting your rights to free speech, but I suggest that we refrain from discussing politics or religion, while on this hike." this guy is as welcome as the next, as long as he knows what the meaning of no is. I do not want hear about religion , about as much as I do not want hear about how you are gonna hike to Maine , carrying 4.23456 pounds of gear and eat cold food for a months.

11 grand might be enough for me to become a believer again, for a little while.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++