WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    So what happened to Run Bum's speed record attempt?
    According to his website

8. Appalachian Trail speed record attempt. Appalachian Trail, USA
    First of all leading into this race I had 10 months of training and prep. I was in the best hiking and climbing all day shape that I have and probably will EVER be in. I had put in my head so much this thought of speed speed speed record record record. When I got on the trail none of that mattered. I just went and I just enjoyed the trail, the people and the views. Sometimes I saw people every 30 minutes. Other days I would run all day and not see a soul. It was a truly life changing experience. I hope to go back in 2015 and try it again.

Sounds like he went out and had a good time. Good for him. I wonder if the sponsors feel cheated?
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I don't see the problem.
    It's one day out of the year where ultra runners (who like to do their thing on trails instead of roads) will be turned on to some good views and new trails.

I don't see anyone complaining about David Horton's race which uses part of the AT.
    Share the trail. Don't be so selfish.
    I know nothing of this race. If I did, maybe I would have an anti-use opinion. More details?

I don't feel selfish. I'll share the trail with any runner, hiker, walker, etc. But to plan this, sell tickets, and not even have it approved or coordinated is not good.

Like I said, I've got nothing against trail runners. But if it were 150 boy scouts all planning to do this as a hike at the same time I would also oppose it.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

If they didn't permit prior to promoting the event they should not get the permit.

Assuming an event organizer jumps through some necessary hoops to pull something like this off (course "sweeper" to pick up obvious trash, insurance in case of damage to the park, placing notifications at trail heads so that people can avoid the area if they wish, limiting number of events per period of time, paying a fee per participant etc.), I am ok with this sort of trail use. In designated wilderness, they should be very very limited.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leanthree View Post
    In designated wilderness, they should be very very limited.
    In designated wilderness it would not even be an issue as party size is limited to 12 people if I remember correctly.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

I don't see the problem.
    Basically, the problem is that this guy appears to not be following the rules for trail races.

See http://www.trailrunner.com/news/trail_etiquette.htm for some suggestions, such as

"Involve the community. Make sure that you secure all permits, permissions,.."- 'nuff said.

"All the associated happenings of a trail race “event” add up and contribute to the total impact"- 200 runners could cause problems, especially if blowdowns aren't cleared beforehand. I seriously doubt anyone but the trail clubs would be cutting up downed trees before the race.

"Consider the timing of your event so as not to conflict with other trail and area users during already heavily used time periods."- Do you think Amilacola will see many hikers on Saturday March 16?

"Plan your start/finish area with care. Is adequate parking available? Will heavy concentrated use damage the vegetation or land?"- I don't know but it's a possibility.

It appears that these rules came from the ARTA. Perhaps they would have some answers; I don't see them listed on the race website.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bati View Post
    Basically, the problem is that this guy appears to not be following the rules for trail races.

See http://www.trailrunner.com/news/trail_etiquette.htm for some suggestions, such as

"Involve the community. Make sure that you secure all permits, permissions,.."- 'nuff said.

"All the associated happenings of a trail race “event” add up and contribute to the total impact"- 200 runners could cause problems, especially if blowdowns aren't cleared beforehand. I seriously doubt anyone but the trail clubs would be cutting up downed trees before the race.
    Generally we try to handle blow downs within a month or so unless they are really bad. Less whenever possible. In some areas (the race does not plan to go through) they are more remote and maintained to wilderness rules which makes it harder to get them cleared. I maintain such a section as my personal 3 miles of trail. No power tools.
    "Consider the timing of your event so as not to conflict with other trail and area users during already heavily used time periods."- Do you think Amilacola will see many hikers on Saturday March 16?
    Yes. Thru-hiker season is under way. The DRT apparently already gets a trail run every year that is coordinated, and it happens in November if I understand correctly. Part of our (The BMTA) objection is if we start with this one, then another will just assume they can do the same thing. Looks like the DRT has prove that right.
    "Plan your start/finish area with care. Is adequate parking available? Will heavy concentrated use damage the vegetation or land?"- I don't know but it's a possibility.

It appears that these rules came from the ARTA. Perhaps they would have some answers; I don't see them listed on the race website.
    I don't either. Nor the GATC, or the BMTA, or the Forest Service. Just some commercial sponsors and himself.

I don't know that 150 runners would cause any significant damage or trash. I assume that people into this sport are going to be conscientious to the environment and the trail i.e. not cutting switchbacks and such. Again, I have no problems with trail runners and as far as I know, no one else does either.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I don't see the problem.
    It's one day out of the year where ultra runners (who like to do their thing on trails instead of roads) will be turned on to some good views and new trails.
    This race is more akin to the Leadville 100 than Horton's record attempt.

Except the nice folks from Leadville 100 (and other trail ultras) coordinate with local officials, adhere to the standards mentioned above http://www.trailrunner.com/news/trail_etiquette.htm, and appear to be better about sharing the trail, being responsible runners and good custodians than the race we are discussing.
    Last edited by Mags; 01-10-2013 at 00:09.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I just looked at Horton's race. It looks like 90%+ of it is on roads or old dirt roads. One description from a runner I saw said something like "about 4 miles on the Appalachian Trail" but when I looked at the map of the route I wasn't sure exactly if it even was 4 miles on the AT.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    According to his website

8. Appalachian Trail speed record attempt. Appalachian Trail, USA
    First of all leading into this race I had 10 months of training and prep. I was in the best hiking and climbing all day shape that I have and probably will EVER be in. I had put in my head so much this thought of speed speed speed record record record. When I got on the trail none of that mattered. I just went and I just enjoyed the trail, the people and the views. Sometimes I saw people every 30 minutes. Other days I would run all day and not see a soul. It was a truly life changing experience. I hope to go back in 2015 and try it again.

Sounds like he went out and had a good time. Good for him. I wonder if the sponsors feel cheated?
    Pretty vague. I wander how many days he was out and if he enjoyed the trail so much, did he complete it or just quit when the record was out of reach?

y. The DRT apparently already gets a trail run every year that is coordinated, and it happens in November if I understand correctly. Part of our (The BMTA) objection is if we start with this one, then another will just assume they can do the same thing. Looks like the DRT has prove that right.

I don't either. Nor the GATC, or the BMTA, or the Forest Service. Just some commercial sponsors and himself.
    Read his website carefully- next year's race will go from Amicolola to Vogel.

thanks for the info Sgt Rock, sent a msg to BMT. personally i love the BMT bacuse it is not over used, over camped, and dont want these clowns on it if i can help it. but they do have a right to it i suppose. As long as the trail isn't getting damaged I have to be a little tolerant (but i dont wanna be LOL)

Man i still have that "business card" you gave me at ATKO last year. Lets grab a coffee this year!

Images

I don't know if I am making to that one this year. We'll see. But if I do, love to drink some coffee together.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Mr Bum says that people are trying to "sabotage" the race and he has been "threatened".

FWIW the Death Race appears to be a very new creation from the run bum. The main reason seems to be for income for him.
    200 runners at registration fees of $75 - $125 works out to $20,000 ish gross before expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by jburgasser View Post
    I signed your petition. I think this guy is just out to try to make money for himself from the entry fees. Even if the race does get cancelled, I'll bet he won't return entry fees already recieved.
    Organizing a race without permits (if this is true) is one thing. Calling him a potential crook is uncalled for. I see no reason for this accusation.

Images

I don't know who threatened him and I certainly don't condone that.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Mr Bum says that people are trying to "sabotage" the race and he has been "threatened".
    Where did you hear that he was threatened?
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Run Bum
    I am really sad and upset that people are trying to sabotage the race. I have gotten threats. I don't know what I should do

http://www.facebook.com/events/222513554546559/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Run Bum
    I am really sad and upset that people are trying to sabotage the race. I have gotten threats. I don't know what I should do

http://www.facebook.com/events/222513554546559/
    Thanks Max. I feel for him, I really do. I wouldn't want to be threatened over something like this.

As to sabotage, I guess if you consider concerned parties voicing their opinions sabotage then at that I am guilty. I suppose the Road to Nowhere people felt sabotaged, the corridor K people probably feel sabotaged, people that wanted to ride snowmobiles through wilderness areas felt sabotaged, and I am sure other people feel sabotaged based on their viewpoint in any endeavor. The BMTA is having a meeting in the near future with the FS over this. If they feel satisfied after that meeting, and the permits get approval, then so be it. I still won't like it. Until the permits are actually approved and going then I'll speak my mind and urge the change to FS roads. I want the runners to have their run, I just do not want it in these trails that are specifically for those that seek more solitude.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Default Missive from a Georgia Death Race entrant

Hey, everyone, this is my first post. I'm one of the entrants of the Georgia Death Race. I have read through your posts on this subject, twice and very carefully. I wanted to understand as fully as possible your perspectives, and how this event will affect you and your communities. I have no authority to speak for the event's organization, but I can tell you more what to expect from its participants. I hope that will help begin some kind of dialogue, possibly foster understanding, but at least allay some concerns.

I know many of the other event entrants, and the general character and attitudes of those I have yet to meet. They, like me, are seasoned trail and ultra runners, out not to tear up records or scorch others, but to challenge themselves, and experience the wonders to which these trails lead. From other events and my own experience, I can tell you that the runners know and practice proper trail etiquette. They treat hikers and other users with great respect, usually hopping off the trail to let them pass if in opposing directions; or carefully calling out to let them know a runner's about to pass, and, when doing so, they excuse themselves and thank that hiker. I've met some interesting people this way, and heard great stories. (Also had some tremendous tips on gear and technique.)

We would never willingly leave trash behind, and if by some chance something was dropped, a later runner will almost certainly stoop to pick it up. They understand that volunteers are the quiet cogs that move the machinery maintaining these trails; many of them belong to trail organizations where they are from. And, honestly, a lot of trail and ultra running is power walking and hiking. Ah, to have conquering quads! Most of the "running" will be downhill, and that will be done with great care, for our bones, sure, but mostly for the trails themselves. Trail runners, and ultra runners even more so, want that challenge, but especially that immersion, that solitude, of which you write.

I understand the paternal feelings you have toward these incredible resources that you have stewarded with such care. And, while I am at it: thank you for doing so. If there are any guides by which you hope we'd abide, any information you hope disbursed, please share it. It is a close community, where everyone knows each other, and word spreads. These aren't the scowl-and-scorch type, the do-or-die guys; they are grinners and laughers, the good-enough-let's-have-a-beer crowd, with black toenails and wonky gaits, who might not be the best at what they do, but they love so much where they do it, and that they are able to.

Of greatest importance is the experience of all who use any trails: their safety; their experience; and the stories they carry with them after. Hikers' especially.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++